We've Hired An Attorney To Fight The Alabama Boat Ban

Notices

We've Hired An Attorney To Fight The Alabama Boat Ban

Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: We've Hired An Attorney To Fight The Alabama Boat Ban

I'm encouraged by the support we are getting from folks not presently affected by the present law. As one told me"My lake may be next". Alabama Power Company is rich and powerful,among the top in the state for flexing their political muscle and unlimited lobbying funds. They won round 1,cause $3/4 million in lobbying payments whipped the $25000 the NMMA put up for the fight. But the courts don't listen to highly paid lobbyists,they rule on the constutionality of law,and this law is clearly unconstitutional.We have to stop them now,too much is at stake. Thanks for the support. Robert Nelems
Old 05-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered

Fellow FPC members and all boating friends-- please any help greatly appreciated.. We can and will "WIN" this round. Let's kill this mess together before it spreads to other states. Alabama the only state in the nation that has banned boats because of speed --- without having a speed limit.
Allen Plott
LIVIN' LOUD
Old 05-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LIVING LOUD
Fellow FPC members and all boating friends-- please any help greatly appreciated.. We can and will "WIN" this round. Let's kill this mess together before it spreads to other states. Alabama the only state in the nation that has banned boats because of speed --- without having a speed limit.
Allen Plott
LIVIN' LOUD
Hey Mother, it's Mikey Sunsation. I sent $5
Old 05-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Check sent...
Old 05-14-2006, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a full page devoted to this issue in Hot Boat. Came in the mail today..

Last edited by rickdarling; 05-14-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

We are meeting with our attorney Monday at 2 PM to get things set up and get an idea of the costs we will incur. If you subscribe to Hot Boat Mag read the article in the new June issue. It will really scare you about what can happen in your state,as it happened in Alabama.I will post updates later Monday.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Registered

I think you need to get a poker run going with about 500 of your buddies down there and let them haul us all in! I'd be happy to support your cause.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Strangely enough,the problem with that is the head of the Marine Police has told his officers not to enforce the new law because he thinks it is unenforcable! So we are approaching it another way,filing a lawsuit to have it declared unconstituitional ( which we think it is)Preliminary estimates are that the challenge will cost 50K. We have pledges of half that at this point,but they are only pledges,money is not actually there but we are working on it. Alabama Power Company spent $3/4 million for their lobbyists to ram this down our throats. Our hope is the courts,where lobbyists don't rule,as they do in the Alabama legislature. Will know more tomorrow,and will post.Everyone's support is appreciated,we have to stop this now. Robert
Old 05-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Met with the attorney today,he is confident he can get the new law overturned. That's the good news. The bad news is we have to raise 50K to officially start the legal fight.He said it may cost less and if so refunds will be prorated. Or it may cost more and we will have to raise more. My gut feeling is we will win this,but nothing will happen untill we have the 50K in the account. I will be making some calls tomorrow and hopefully call in a few favors.Anyone who wants to contribute,no matter how small or large the amount,check the address at the start of this thread. Remember your lake could be next. Alabama can become a rallying point for the good guys or the bad guys for future legislation. Robert
Old 05-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Registered

I also attended the meeting. We are gaining more and more support each day. It was good to see a check all the way from Conn. Thanks OSO members. Like Robert said, we have a long way to go, any amount is worth the effort. This entire thing has taken valuable time from several people here in ala. but we're swingin' hard! If the law does stick, Ala. will only be a model for other states legislation.

Thanks,
Steve Northington
Cathouse Performance Marine
www.cathouseperformancemarine.com

"Bling it on"

Quick Reply: We've Hired An Attorney To Fight The Alabama Boat Ban

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.