Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advice on loading boat in windy weather (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/130423-advice-loading-boat-windy-weather.html)

Single With Twins 05-18-2006 09:53 AM

Re: Advice on loading boat in windy weather

GO AT IT ON PLAIN!!!!!! Problem Solved! :evilb:

Seriosly above suggestions are right but one important one is to leave the boat in forward so you can crank it up easier and use the drive to straighten the boat out if needed.

Take care;

Jay

BajaRunner 05-18-2006 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman
Exactly, plus with the bunks wet it should slide on a little easier. Im no pro but it works for me, Im not into driving right up, and how described above it would be impossible. I will get it as far as I can, hook the strap on, crank it somewhat but not to much to put undo stress on the crank system, back the truck up another 2 or so feet making sure boat is parallel with trailer fenders, and repeat until boat hits the stop. Good luck. Jeff

thats how i do it. :cool:

UNSANE 05-18-2006 10:39 AM

I have a 29 Fountain that I routinely load by myself on a crappy trailer. Windy conditions can be a pain. I have the little guide ons on the trailer as well. If it's a crosswind I will try to dock the boat on the windward side of the dock. When I back the trailer down, I'll get it pretty close to the side of the dock. I too back the trailer down to get the bunks wet and pull up. I don't have forward bunks, just that damn PVC 'V' bar up on the front of my trailer. Because of conditions I sometimes have to come into the trailer a little cockeyed becasuse I have to point the boat's nose a little to the port or starboard in order to go straight. I take it slow here, once inside and past the guide ons, I'll have to reverse for a quick second with the wheel cranked over to bring the nose straight, once it comes straight, I forward and when I feel it "lock in", power it up. Leaving the boat in gear, I get up to the nose, reach over and put the strap on and winch the last inch or 2 tight. Shut off engine/drive up and make sure I don't forget the safety chain before I pull out. Having the right trailer helps as well. But if you don't have guide ons, get them. Good luck. PS: I have a LH rotating prop so my idle speed manuvering is backwards from a RH prop. So keep that in mind that your boat will turn one way quicker than the other.

Semper Fi 05-18-2006 10:40 AM

You can have a friend hold a line (on the front bowcleat) to "guide" the boat on the trailer if needed.

Wobble 05-18-2006 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I usually end up loading my 29' Stryker on my own after dropping off the wife and kids. If there is a strong cross wind at the ramp it is very hard to do with a single.

I am not about to risk my blue printed hull by getting cross ways on the trailer etc.

I bought two pair of these from boat US (about 70 bucks a pair)

Now I can load in any weather. They are plastic and flex easily, also look under the bow, there is a foot long carpeted V that guides the boat up to the bow attachment.

I know it ain't pretty, but they can be removed easily if needed. I'll take ugly and straight on the trailer over some of the damage I have witnessed at the ramp when a windy front blows in.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...1169&fcat=2AN1

Strip Poker 388 05-18-2006 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
....and approach things as fast as you want to hit'em.

I usally go to slow and sometimes the wind gets me but I dont ram anything :D

tomtbone1993 05-18-2006 12:42 PM

be the ball...............nananannanana.................. ..nananananananana :D

Sydwayz 05-18-2006 12:44 PM

Yep, add the poles. Any trailer or boat place should sell them or should be able to get them.

GLH 05-18-2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Yep, add the poles. Any trailer or boat place should sell them or should be able to get them.

I guess some guys like poles....

To poodleish for me.

Airpacker 05-18-2006 03:58 PM

Its easy, drive a cat. They self center every time :)