Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advice on loading boat in windy weather (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/130423-advice-loading-boat-windy-weather.html)

JB4Boyne 05-20-2006 12:02 AM

Re: Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Originally Posted by Jassman
Welcome to the South. :drink: You guys are on lakes, we are on Oceans, gulfs, 3-4' tide changes, totally different conditions, and then them welcomed hurricanes :rolleyes: taking everything out every few years and so on. Plus it's the South, slower paced and 10 years behind the times, but I like it that way, I can predict the future, cause Im originally a Yankee :D

Well even on the small inland lakes in the south they don't use docks.
I think we have docks up here because the water is so frigged until Aug. :cool:
I'm curious though, how would you launch and retrieve your boat by yourself if you had to without a dock?

TEAMBAJA 05-20-2006 08:14 AM

Ive watched some of the fishermen down in Lake Cumberland in the wintertime. They just back the boat, have a rope tied to a rock as an anchor, and throw it on the ramp. The boat just sits there, and eventually sideways beating off the bottom of the ramp! :D

Harper220 05-20-2006 09:21 AM

Steer against the wind enough to where you're heading into center of trailer (it's a balancing act) and keep it in gear so the wind won't take the bow with it. With a little practice you'll get the hang of it. Just remember the boat does have reverse too in case your aim is off... :D

LostinBoston 05-20-2006 10:00 AM

if you can, tie the boat off to the side of the ramp, most ive seen have docks next to them. Also hold on to a rope tied tot he bow and stern of the boat to adjust if needed, then back the trailer down under it. Much easier then fighting a crosswind or tide.

Jassman 05-20-2006 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
Well even on the small inland lakes in the south they don't use docks.
I think we have docks up here because the water is so frigged until Aug. :cool:
I'm curious though, how would you launch and retrieve your boat by yourself if you had to without a dock?

I did it all the time when I needed premium gas. No premium at the marinas here in MS. No more marinas period after Katrina :( . I have a boat launch on the other side of my boat house. Backed the trailer in the water, I have gunnite 14" walls on both sides so a little current or wind isnt to much of an issue. With the trailer bunks partialy wet, I drove on far enough. Turned boat off, climbed up the deck, pop up the 2 cleats at the very front of the bow, used cleats for leverage and proceeded to go down the crank assembly. Hooked it up and cranked as far as I could get it, backed the truck up a few feet, and kept doing this proceedure until boat was secure. Been doing it for years, so I guess Im use to it, the older I get though, the harder it gets . Jeff

I tried to downsize the boat launch with the gunnite walls, when Sandy gets home Ill have her do it.

JB4Boyne 05-20-2006 05:55 PM

I guess I still don't understand, You drive your truck, boat and trailer to the ramp, back it in, get the boat off the trailer. Now what do you do with the boat while you go park the truck? With no dock do you swim out to the boat?

And then when you are done and want to pull it out, do you swim in and go get the truck and swim back out and drive the boat on?
I'm not being a smart A$$, but I have seen boat ramps with no docks anywhere and could never figure out how they did it alone.

offshoredrillin 05-20-2006 07:33 PM

A good trick taught to me by my mechanic is to put Dawn detergent on your carpeted bunks. that way once the boat is on them and they start to dry, you wont get the spots from them on the gel, it also makes the boat slide on easier.

Son of a Gun 05-21-2006 07:41 AM

I watched GL do it like it was nothing in his Tiger. He just engaged and disengaged each motor as needed. Just taking your time to line up perfectly seems to be the best bet, don't rush it and come in too hot, that's not a pretty site.