Notices

Cigarette 36' Competition

Old 06-01-2006, 08:09 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Cigarette 36' Competition

Any of these 36s for sale?
I've only seen one 36 race for sale and can't find it now.
There are a bunch of 36 pleasures for sale, how did they run? comparison to the race boats?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
There are a bunch of 36 pleasures for sale, how did they run? comparison to the race boats?

I don't know of any for sale at the moment.

They had a top speed in the low 80's and then they started to chine walk. When the 35 came along, the speeds jumped right up to the high 80's and low 90's.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I'm not sure that this Pantera was sent in Italy. I never seen,but a magazine wrote it was imported by Sailmotorboating of Milan."

The BlackSunday PANTERA is in Puerto Rico now. It was for sale last year in it's original paint.. someone bought it and painted over it .

Last edited by TCorsa; 06-01-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

The chine walk part was true the way the boats were set up back then. (I have what was the original KAM 1) Even worse, the skegs wer cut off the drives. It had a nasty habit of changing direction whenever it wanted. When I tested it at Lake X in 1980 it ran right at 80 with 2) 620 HP. I later found out this was as fast as any of them went back then.

I raced the boat in the late 80's with 2 x 850HP, and had the handling pretty much figured out. Ran low-mid 90's then.

Kept playing with with drive height, boxes, extensions for the boxes, ran 3's then 4's and after the blower motors 5's

Then put 2 x 1000 HP, a whole new ball game. After a near death experience chine walking in the Chicago River i raised the drives some more and added a 80 gal ballast tank. It was like getting a new boat, got rid of the chine walking and really improved the handling at least up to the 106 the boat ran before I pulled it apart.

I miss the boat, still have it but looks like I might have to wait till I retire to put it back together

http://go-fast.com/bam,_the_project.htm
Old 06-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
I don't know anything about that boat, but it is probably an old Black Tornado renamed.

This photo is of Bill McDonald's "Wild Willie" which is an old Boss A Nova, 36 Foot Cigarette. You and Marco probably have not seen this one either over there.
I knew the existence of the Bill MacDonald's "Wild Willie's-Boss O'Nova" but I never saw pictures.
It was'nt the 36' "Boss O'Nova III" but the former 32' "Boss O Nova II" that Wishnick used in Europe to win the World Title.
It was a prototype of 32'. A real Cigarette not a Cary. Aronow built it with the same deck design of the 36'. The first two 36' (Black Tornado and Aeromarine I)was ready in the fall of 1970 in the same time that was ready this 32' sole model.

Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio 1971. Cigarette 32' "Boss O Nova II" and in the background one of three Black Tornados. This "Black Tornado" was a former 32' cutted to 31' with a deck in wood. In this race with rough seas the deck started to break down and Balestrieri abandoned the idea and send it back in USA for sell.
It appear some year after in the hands of the rookie Hal Sahlman to set a speed record in 1974 with the name "The Little Cigarette".
Instead "Boss O'Nova II" won the race in Viareggio.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
In Italy there is the former "Lady Nara" of 1971,one of the first 36' ever built.
It is in perfect condition without alteration and powered by two Aifo turbodiesel engines(sic!).

Old 06-02-2006, 08:14 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Black Tornado]In Italy there is the former "Lady Nara" of 1971,one of the first 36' ever built.
It is in perfect condition without alteration and powered by two Aifo turbodiesel engines(sic!).

Is there an ad you can post a link of?
And from what i've read, per Charlie McCarthy, the 35ft cig was the best running/riding hull Don ever built. How do the 2 of these boats compare?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
The chine walk part was true the way the boats were set up back then. (I have what was the original KAM 1) Even worse, the skegs wer cut off the drives. It had a nasty habit of changing direction whenever it wanted. When I tested it at Lake X in 1980 it ran right at 80 with 2) 620 HP. I later found out this was as fast as any of them went back then.

I raced the boat in the late 80's with 2 x 850HP, and had the handling pretty much figured out. Ran low-mid 90's then.

Kept playing with with drive height, boxes, extensions for the boxes, ran 3's then 4's and after the blower motors 5's

Then put 2 x 1000 HP, a whole new ball game. After a near death experience chine walking in the Chicago River i raised the drives some more and added a 80 gal ballast tank. It was like getting a new boat, got rid of the chine walking and really improved the handling at least up to the 106 the boat ran before I pulled it apart.

I miss the boat, still have it but looks like I might have to wait till I retire to put it back together

http://go-fast.com/bam,_the_project.htm
Come on, that boat is one of the all-time great boats for history of this sport. You can't let it just sit there.

Maybe you could just pull it down to Key West in November for an on land display for HORBA. That might be enough to get your juices flowing again.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Stormrider]
Originally Posted by Black Tornado
In Italy there is the former "Lady Nara" of 1971,one of the first 36' ever built.

Is there an ad you can post a link of?
And from what i've read, per Charlie McCarthy, the 35ft cig was the best running/riding hull Don ever built. How do the 2 of these boats compare?
The Cig 35' was faster,but in rough seas the "old" 36' was still better.
I remember in 1977's Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio with rough seas,as such as rough that the course of the race was shortened. Two was the race contendings: Giulio De Angelis,the best italian driver of the middle of '70's, in the former Balestrieri's "Black Tornado",the first Cigarette 36' ever built and Michael Doxfor,the best englishman of the same period,in the "Limit Up" one of the most famous Cigarette 35'.
Well,the 36' was in front of the 35' the whole race,even though not much,untill Doxford hoisted the white flag because him 35' have had a fissure in the left flank at the height of the cockpit.
I think that the 36' was unbeatable in rough seas and was the best of ever times. In those conditions only the Shead design CUV 38' can contended this leadership.

Two bad images(are photocopy) of the damaged Limit Up after the VBV in 1977. We can see however the fissure.

The "Powerboat Magazine Special" of Bob Nordskog,the first 35' ever built,have had the same problem one year before in Bacardi Trophy.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Ouch! That looked expensive!

Quick Reply: Cigarette 36' Competition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.