Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cat Killer ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132933-cat-killer.html)

blume 06-19-2006 04:13 PM

Re: Cat Killer !

Originally Posted by 42MTI
They both had motors that have made 1550hp , probably more. But that is with 17-18# of boost. and 116oct. race fuel..Speed racer has been set up for pump fuel, 8#'s of boost and 93 oct. That's closer to 1150-1200 hp.Meaning he was giving up at least 700hp total. And he still passed Rio.

yea....yea....yea...and Reggie was running 87oct. Sterling's have a static compression of around 9 to 1 or higher....17 to 18 pounds of boost would blow the heads off the motor even with 116 oct. Listen to you guys, bregging about out running a V-hull. Damn things have change.

OL40SVX 06-19-2006 04:17 PM

Oh Reggie, it IS a race????
And here all along I just liked high performance boats!
It was promoted as a race!!! right?????
I think he is suffering from bling(gold) poisoning!!!

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44MTI 06-19-2006 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by blume
yea....yea....yea...and Reggie was running 87oct. Sterling's have a static compression of around 9 to 1 or higher....17 to 18 pounds of boost would blow the heads off the motor even with 116 oct. Listen to you guys, bregging about out running a V-hull. Damn things have change.

Times change brother, you just NEED to change with them. Call Mike at Sterling and ask him how much boost his 1550 makes, and also ask where Speed's motors are set up right now. :eek:
First could we make a little wager on the answer, It doesn't even have to small. :evilb: :evilb:

offshoredrillin 06-19-2006 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by the duke
I strongly doubt that insurance companies are going to ban Poker Run participation because of speed.(or press releases) If that was the case, they would have done it already because its always been a big deal to make the point about how fast so and so ran in what Poker Run. What would have more of a chance of the banning happening are accidents like at SOTW, and NYC in the last few years.

I guess you missed the Vette/GTO/Mustang, and the Dodge Hemis. Muscle cars have been back for a while, and they are quicker/faster than anything that Detroit made in the 60's/70's :D

no but they can ban any type of claim or infraction and make people stay away with threats of higher premiums or cancellation... dont you think that more accidents happen like major scratches and boats banging at the dock then the type of accident that happened at smoke? sure the major crashes garner the attention, but its the ones we dont hear about that jack up costs... it's that silent majority that will creep up and get us. look at how many guys said they lost drives and in order to save money how many will file a false report? My mechanic has at least 3 a week trying to get him to help him scam the company, He is honest and wont....and I havent missed any of the muscle cars as I just sold 2 and work on them daily. Not to mention the new muscle cars, from championship porsches to celebrities ferraris..:D

Originally Posted by 42MTI
First could we make a little wager on the answer, It doesn't even have to small. :evilb: :evilb:

4 out of 5 dentists surveyed would recommend it:evilb:

sakoutis3 06-19-2006 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
no but they can ban any type of claim or infraction and make people stay away with threats of higher premiums or cancellation... dont you think that more accidents happen like major scratches and boats banging at the dock then the type of accident that happened at smoke? sure the major crashes garner the attention, but its the ones we dont hear about that jack up costs... it's that silent majority that will creep up and get us. look at how many guys said they lost drives and in order to save money how many will file a false report? My mechanic has at least 3 a week trying to get him to help him scam the company, He is honest and wont....and I havent missed any of the muscle cars as I just sold 2 and work on them daily. Not to mention the new muscle cars, from championship porsches to celebrities ferraris..:D

I think you are right it is the small things that happen all the time that drive up our rates. Just look at how much drives, paint jobs, props all cost to replace. A small claim to one of our boats is gonna be $5000. To the insurance co its dollars and cents. You back a #6 drive boat into a dock hard and there goes 20,000 Hit the same dock with a Sea Ray Whats the going rate for an alpha drives these days do the math. :rolleyes: :snide:

the duke 06-19-2006 04:33 PM

no but they can ban any type of claim or infraction and make people stay away with threats of higher premiums or cancellation... dont you think that more accidents happen like major scratches and boats banging at the dock then the type of accident that happened at smoke? sure the major crashes garner the attention, but its the ones we dont hear about that jack up costs... it's that silent majority that will creep up and get us. look at how many guys said they lost drives and in order to save money how many will file a false report? My mechanic has at least 3 a week trying to get him to help him scam the company, He is honest and wont

Geez, now you are making me agree with you :D Yes, its the smaller claims that raise the rates. There may be a large total loss that we hear about, but we don't hear about the 1000 broken drive claims plus all the other stuff. Probably why my rates went down a LOT when I went from 1% to 2% deductable.

To try and make this thread a bit more positive, :drink: Why is it that Cat insurance is so high, or hard to get? Seems that the vast majority of boats are "V", and the big accidents we hear about are in "V"'s. But unless the big V owners are very quiet, its the Cat guys that seem to have the most problems with insurance.

hammer01 06-19-2006 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by blume

NOT PICKING ON JUST YOU, BUT WHY DO THE V-BOTTOM GUYS KEEP ARGUING THAT THE CATS ARE BRAGGING ABOUT THE CAT BEING FASTER WHEN THE V-BOTTOM STARTED THE WHOLE ISSUE WITH AN ARTICLE IN THE PAPER WITH OBVIOUSLY LESS THAN FACTUAL INFO. EVERYONE NEEDS TO PICK THEIR BATTLES AND UNLESS IT IS DONE AS SOMEONE SAID ABOVE AND LINED UP WITH APPLES TO APPLES CAT TO V-BOTTOM (MEANING EQUAL POWER)==WHO CARES TO ARGUE. I AM A V-BOTTOM OWNER BECAUSE I LOVE MY BOAT AND IN THE BACK OF MY MIND I WILL ALWAYS RUN INTO SOMEONE FASTER NO MATTER WHAT I BUILD. IT IS THE LAW OF FINANCIALS, I MEAN PHYSICS. LOL

sakoutis3 06-19-2006 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by the duke
Geez, now you are making me agree with you :D Yes, its the smaller claims that raise the rates. There may be a large total loss that we hear about, but we don't hear about the 1000 broken drive claims plus all the other stuff. Probably why my rates went down a LOT when I went from 1% to 2% deductable.

To try and make this thread a bit more positive, :drink: Why is it that Cat insurance is so high, or hard to get? Seems that the vast majority of boats are "V", and the big accidents we hear about are in "V"'s. But unless the big V owners are very quiet, its the Cat guys that seem to have the most problems with insurance.

Cats are generaly sit down boats harder to manuver around the docks I would think they probably have more percentage wise small claims just because there aren't that many on the water and they do tend to be really nice expencive boats.

offshoredrillin 06-19-2006 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
Cats are generaly sit down boats harder to manuver around the docks I would think they probably have more percentage wise small claims just because there aren't that many on the water and they do tend to be really nice expencive boats.

actually i have been told cats are easier to manuver as the engines are so far apart it makes them respond faster. Maybe Tres or Terry will chime in and answer as I'm not really qualified to answer it. however I do know the cat accident on the chesapeake a couple years ago supposedly bankrupted the insurance company. I would have to assume that because cats are much faster (contrary to this thread) there is more of an assumed risk. I know the auto industry has different ratings for insurance that go hand in hand, driving record, age type of car...not so much in what it's worth, but how much will it cost to fix it. to total a car I belive it has to be more than a certain percentage of the worth of the car. So once it reachs that percent it becomes cheaper for the insurance company to just pay/buy it off, and the sad part is, boats depreciate faster than cars.

LostinBoston 06-19-2006 05:29 PM

actually i have been told cats are easier to manuver as the engines are so far apart it makes them respond faster.

My NT is easier to manuver around the dock then my Pantera was, or my dads scarab or century. Its jsut differnt props spinning in, but once your used to it its much easier.