Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cat Killer ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132933-cat-killer.html)

Downtown42 06-19-2006 11:38 PM

Re: Cat Killer !

I was just writing the check for Rio Roses but then I can't run any poker runs so forget it :evilb:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...42/MrMagoo.jpg

randy scism's new retirement ride

tomtbone1993 06-20-2006 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
Yeah, that's the ticket. Let's make rules for different classes at a poker run, especially since it's working out so well for the racers. :rolleyes:

nice drunk post :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

cuda 06-20-2006 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
nice drunk post :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

You should know I only drink on Wednesdays. :drink:

tomtbone1993 06-20-2006 09:02 AM

You should know I only drink on Wednesdays. :drink:

understand, i only drink on days that end with Y :evilb:

Brad Zastrow 06-20-2006 10:21 AM

I think Skip's letter is well written and reflects my feelings exactly. Other Poker Run organizers need to take notice.

berns29scarab 06-20-2006 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by biggame
looks like another manufacturer feels the same way

Stu Jones
Florida Powerboat Club
421 South Federal Highway
Pompano Beach, FL 33062

Dear Stu:

While attending the highly successful Jacksonville FireFighters Poker Run last weekend, I, like most other manufacturers, was pleased with the turn out and promotion of the event. However, after all the work and discussions this industry has put into the clarification that Poker Runs are recreational events and NOT races, I was aghast to see Reggie Fountain arrive with a race boat, two professional racers and a camera crew to document the scenario.

Are we just providing lip service, or are we serious about maintaining Poker Runs as events that are open to all powerboaters to enjoy the spirit of boating? If we want to maintain our insurance and credibility, we must stick to this premise.

It was in extremely poor taste and really damaging to the industry to have Reggie put his competitive nature before the good of the sport of pleasure boating. I also believe it was negligent to allow it to happen. How can we expect our customers to act responsibly if the manufacturers act irresponsibly? We should be the leaders of the industry and support the events that were designed for our customers to earn bragging rights—not for the manufacturers to use a Poker Run as a speed demonstration. This action was in direct opposition to the stance that industry leaders took at the Safety Summit meetings at the Miami Boat Show, where all manufacturers supported the safety and status of Poker Runs as non-speed-oriented events.

Offshore powerboat racing is the venue where awards for speed are presented; the industry has also created events like the Lake of the Ozarks Shootout and sanctioned Kilo Runs to create and honor speed records. Go there to compete!

This situation was exacerbated when Fountain circulated a press release under the heading of Fountain Mercury, literally calling the event “competition” stating that the company “entered” its “new offshore Super Boat Rio Roses Fountain Mercury.” Yet it was powered by twin Sterling engines!

And it is a RACE boat, not a Poker Run boat, run by Fountain’s own championship racers! Proudly calling the boat “The Cat Killer” only adds insult to injury in an arena where manufacturers attend as colleagues.

The verbiage in the release reads exactly like a race report, stating that the “Super Vee Unlimited-class offshore racer” can “outrun, out-handle and outlast the Super Cats, especially in rough water.” Then why choose a flat water river run to make this performance?

I strongly suggest that the rules of Poker Runs exclude race boats and that rule be enforced at all events. Why spoil the fun for recreational boaters who are out to show the performance of their equipment and win a poker hand, while one manufacturer makes his “story of the day” about dominating the fleet?

We all build fast, exciting boats. Should Cigarette bring its Kilo Run boat with John Tomlinson at the helm to a Poker Run? I do not think that is appropriate. Poker Runs are NOT the forum for racing boats; they are a social event where manufacturers and our customers can show the latest recreational models.

I am copying the other leading powerboat manufacturers and press on this letter as we are all trying to work together to promote this industry and sport. We hope that you, the Poker Run promoters who have build these events, will take a stand to continue the safety and spirit of what has driven the powerboat industry for the past decade. Ego destroyed powerboat racing, let’s not let it destroy Poker Runs.

Sincerely,

Skip Braver
Cigarette Racing Team

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT !! NOW I KNOW WHAT THE NUMBER 1 IS FOR. THIS MAN SUMMED UP THE ENTIRE THREAD 10 PARAGRAPHS. KUDOS TO MR SKIP BRAVER AND THE ENTIRE CIGARETTE RACING TEAM :drink:

GLH 06-20-2006 10:30 AM

Maybe insurance companies won't destroy Poker Runs after all... others are at work!

Fast 1 06-20-2006 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
EGO is the big word here. David Knight was not thinking about safety ,At that speed ,not on a cloesd course.

Mike

Easy there Motorola.

Alan

Havasu Cig 06-20-2006 11:36 AM

Yeah, and my dad can beat up your dad. :rolleyes:

Just making the point that there are a lot of cats out there that will run faster than Reggie did at this poker run. If you expect to be in the front at the Spring run in Havasu those speeds won't do it for you. He may have beat the cats on that day, but it really is not saying much IMO.

I have owned both cats and V's and they both have their advantages, but when it comes to pure speed the cat is the clear winner.

That being said I will stay out of the insurance debate. :cool:

rainmn 06-20-2006 11:39 AM

Anyone else find it odd that Fountain markets the sit-down 42 as the "42 Poker Run Edition", yet brings a canopied race boat to a poker run?