Notices

Buying bulk gas??

Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Buying bulk gas??

Originally Posted by dean51267
generally when a station sells gasoline they barely (if at all) cover the cost of operating the pumps and replacing equipment when it breaks.

The reason stations do this is t attract the walk in custoemer who buy a candy bar or a soda, that is where the money is made. Most stations actually lose money if you pay with discover, who happens to have a 4% credit transaction fee.

Given the slim margins, I doubt it would pay for itself. You definately could pay less for fuel, but not enough less to cover the other cost incured...

Dean,
My dad owns a small Mini-mart in the Adirondack Mountains, and he tells me all the time that he makes no money on fuel, it the $1.00 candy bar that he makes money on!
Thanks for the call today,
Dean
Old 06-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
How long will gas stay good in a sealed tank out of the sun before it starts breaking down or looses octane ????????

Does anybody know ??????

6 months i want to say.. then it starts to break apart into layers..
Old 06-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Registered

with all the different formulations and additives I have heard it starts to deteriorate in as little as 8 weeks... I don't let mine go any longer without stabil..

Last edited by Chris288; 06-29-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris288
with all the different formulations and additives I have heard it starts losing octane in as little as 8 weeks... I wouldn't let it go any longer without stabil..

I wouldnt think stabil would help the octane say stay at 93,just keep it from gumming up/seperating..

Ive heard if its air tight and doesent see sun light its better

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:26 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

talk about stock speculation, If you paid 2.90 a gal last week for 1,000 gallons and now its 2.84 a gal (here any way) you lost $60 in a week.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How long will gas stay good in a sealed tank out of the sun before it starts breaking down or looses octane ????????

Does anybody know ??????
I had a 12,000 gal. tank under ground loaded with 116oct. after the first 45 days it would loose about 1 oct per month. above ground would loose more. To bring it back up they put lead in it.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

With the new Ethonol mix they say the longevity of gas sitting has dropped significantly due to the Ethonol is highly sensitive to water which will separate the Ethonol from the gas. The tank I would think would be susceptible to sweating.

Other considerations would wether or not a permit or other ecological legalities would come into lay locally. Maybe some sort of farmer permit?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blume
I had a 12,000 gal. tank under ground loaded with 116oct. after the first 45 days it would loose about 1 oct per month. above ground would loose more. To bring it back up they put lead in it.

How did you mesure the Oct????

Reckless32 I wounder if there mixing the Ethonol in Mississippi???

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:10 PM

Very large trucking co. pre-buy there fuel with say, Flying J, Petro, Pilot and save huge $$$, If there was a way for us OSO members to pre-buy our gas thru OSO and have a card with a limit on it of however much we paid for the year we could all go to our local gas station, say Shell, Mobil ect... and get gas at big savings and Steve would be our biggest hero I'm sure with the amount of OSO member we have we would go thru a huge amount of fuel in a year.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you mesure the Oct????
A Brimrose AOTF-NIR hand-held spectrometer with a transflectance probe attachment was used to scan three samples of gasoline with varying values for octane number. A partial least square regression using the spectral data and constituent values was perform. The results of the regression demonstrates that samples with varying octane number can be classified and that the octane number can be quantified based on spectral data collected using a Brimrose hand-held spectrometer.

OR

A new Real-Time Systems Application Note from Perkin-Elmer highlights the measurement of octane number in motor gasoline using the company's PIONIR(TM) 1024 Near Infrared (NIR) Analyzer.
This application note provides an octane number calibration statistics summary for Research Octane Number (RON), Motor Octane Number (MON) and Pump Octane Number (PON).

A representative short wavelength NIR (SW-NIR) absorption spectrum of motor gasoline provides users with information that can be correlated to octane number. Additional figures illustrate scatter plots obtained between the engine RON and MON values and RON and MON values predicted using a model generated with Perkin-Elmer QUANT+ Chemometrics software, which comes standard with the PIONIR Analyzer.
Replicate measurements made on a flowing sample over a 15-minute period are also included and show the high precision possible with the PIONIR Analyzer.

The PIONIR Analyzer can simultaneously measure Motor Octane Number (MON), Research Octane Number (RON), and Pump Octane Number (PON) in 15 seconds. It can be configured for continuous unattended operation on a blend header, or can be used to make multiple parameter measurements in the laboratory.

The PIONIR Analyzer operates in the SW NIR region of the electromagnetic spectrum (800 - 1080 nm), which contains the third overtone and combination bands of aromatic, methyl, methylene, olefinic, and methine C- H stretch variations. This region has been shown to be reliable for measuring octane number and several other parameters in gasoline and gasoline blend components.

Dave

Quick Reply: Buying bulk gas??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.