Putting Price in Classifieds

Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375stinger
Maybe they think without showing a price is does not commit them to selling it possibly for less than someone would offer??? Thats the only half reasonable meaning for doing this. But just as everyone else says, there are plenty of boats out there, so you can already tell what you are willing to pay for the boat by the description and pics just be looking at comparables, so not showing a price seems to make me assume that the price is too high anyways.
Not putting the price is a control mechanism for the seller. We call these people "Bull in a China Closet". When the potential buyer calls the seller feels like they are in the drivers seat, they can dictate the direction of the call. As a rule of thumb the price isn't listed because it's up there in the price range...

I call a spade a spade... I list the price. If I don't get calls it's because my price is too high or there's simply no interest.

If someone is so confident in their product they shouldn't be afraid so say what they want for it or use dated sales techniques to lure in a potential buyer. That's car salesman mentality.

Last edited by Panther; 06-30-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Registered

My Boats: motor sports boats bikes

i agree when i was shopping for a boat i liked seeing prices most didnt have especially all the big brokers/dealers..
i had price on boat trader it, i didnt on oso as fountain dealer i was going to list with said not to,,
my situation was also diff due to i basically want to work a trade..
I was hoping to find someone that had a clean smaller single and work out something that makes sense for both of us,,
no such luck yet,
so its going to lake tahoe,,
may need to buy a set of props due to 6500 ft elevation.
and a full cover too!! it kills me its going to have to sit outside,,,,
Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Registered

My Boats: motor sports boats bikes

one thing,,
when i finally decided i was a serious buyer for a newer 35 i would call on all the boats listed price or not,,
when i was tire kicking not really ready i would only look at the ones with price,,
sure it was an excercise but that was to my benefit,,
alot of times its good as less people have called on it due to no price listed,. + it seems if no price maybe they are more open to creative dealings, carry back, trades etc.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
It does work sometimes. If I am looking for something I want or need and the price is not listed, most of the time I will call and get the price. You never know.

I know it's annoying, but sometimes curiosity will get the best of you
Semper, you missed my point. I was phuckin' with ya' about the "no phone number makes people call"........HUH?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Registered

My Boats: It'll Do - 2004 , 29'--Fountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH BAR
Semper, you missed my point. I was phuckin' with ya' about the "no phone number makes people call"........HUH?

yea...I was thinking the same thing...how can one call if the number is not listed?

Maybe he meant the part about that "curiosity kills a lot of people" statement.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION

I was going through the Sunsation classifieds about two hours ago looking at 32 SS 's and was thinking the same thing,,, put a damn price in the ad...
Old 06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered

I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. No price = pass. Lots of boats out there....
Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 42' cigarette revolution tri 850, 1984 18' checkmate 235 evinrude

I understand how if someone is truly serious about a boat they will ask, but how is someone going to be truly serious about a boat when they are not even sure if they can afford it? You look for someone who really needs to get out, and that is where you are going to get your best deal, and odds are someone who will not put their price they want in the add does not need out or has not been sitting on that boat very long.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:42 PM

This is the core question-

If I wouldn't like the price you list in the ad, what will you say to me when I call that you omitted in the description that will make me like the price when I hear it?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Registered

My Boats: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean51267
Can OSO post a notice in the section where you start a classified add that says "IT PISSES OSO MEMBERS OFF IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE A PRICE IN YOUR AD, IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE A PRICE, AND DO NOT GET CALLS, CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED"....

I am looking at boats now, looking to buy in reasonably short order, and I for one am not even about to click on an ad with no price cause I know right away if I call I am going to rotten azzed used car salesman who decided he could make a truck load of money selling boat trying all the nickel azzed negotiation games.

Am I just off my rocker, or does everyone else look at this with the same disdain I do???

That would be as bad as getting a rotten azzed C.P.A. that does your books and just screws you with his usual pricing. I guess profit is only good in some occupations!