Like Tree0Likes

Putting Price in Classifieds

Reply
Old 06-30-2006, 05:04 PM
  #41
Registered
Thread Starter
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ptl40
That would be as bad as getting a rotten azzed C.P.A. that does your books and just screws you with his usual pricing. I guess profit is only good in some occupations!

ummm, must have hit a nerve.... GOOD DEAL!

Profit is not the issue, trying to screw boaters is.... of course, some people do not know the difference....
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:13 PM
  #42
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
My Boats: -
Posts: 31
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean51267
ummm, must have hit a nerve.... GOOD DEAL!

Profit is not the issue, trying to screw boaters is.... of course, some people do not know the difference....

Dont be so hard on yourself I am sure in your line of work there may be an occasional good guy.
21ptl40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:15 PM
  #43
Registered
Thread Starter
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ptl40
That would be as bad as getting a rotten azzed C.P.A. that does your books and just screws you with his usual pricing. I guess profit is only good in some occupations!

this is the old sales technique to get you on the phone, ask a bunch of leading question, get small commitments along the way, then sock it to the buyer...

It assumes buyers a dumb, and must be tricked into wanting something, or paying for it. I could see a second rate boat company doing this, then when they get the customer on the phone they can try to convince them they are not a second rate company. The product is still junk and the service people are crooks, so the sales technique is all they got.

It actually works well at the low end of the market, where people tend to be a lot less educated, so on a cheep car it makes sense, cause the bottom end of the market buys cheep cars, but it does not make sense on the upper end of the market, which is where boats are generally sold to educated buyers.

This is a sign of a seller who knows the market does not price his stuff highly, so he has to extract an above market price for the item using the only thing they got left, lies.

People who assume the entire market is dumb generally have a reason for seeing the world this way, and in my not so humble opinion, it is because we all see a reflection of ourselves in the rest of the world.
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:22 PM
  #44
Registered
Thread Starter
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ptl40
Dont be so hard on yourself I am sure in your line of work there may be an occasional good guy.
interesting, wonder where this negativity comes from, wonder if you are hooked in with that bunch of crooks at profile? The geography is about right. That s the only explanation I could think of....

interesting...
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:24 PM
  #45
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
My Boats: -
Posts: 31
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean51267
this is the old sales technique to get you on the phone, ask a bunch of leading question, get small commitments along the way, then sock it to the buyer...

It assumes buyers a dumb, and must be tricked into wanting something, or paying for it. I could see a second rate boat company doing this, then when they get the customer on the phone they can try to convince them they are not a second rate company. The product is still junk and the service people are crooks, so the sales technique is all they got.

It actually works well at the low end of the market, where people tend to be a lot less educated, so on a cheep car it makes sense, cause the bottom end of the market buys cheep cars, but it does not make sense on the upper end of the market, which is where boats are generally sold to educated buyers.

This is a sign of a seller who knows the market does not price his stuff highly, so he has to extract an above market price for the item using the only thing they got left, lies.

People who assume the entire market is dumb generally have a reason for seeing the world this way, and in my not so humble opinion, it is because we all see a reflection of ourselves in the rest of the world.


Couldnt agree more, Now may I send you a mirror?
21ptl40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:50 PM
  #46
Registered
Thread Starter
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ptl40
Couldnt agree more, Now may I send you a mirror?
so Phil, do tell, what is eating you, about all I can figure is you could be tied in with that bunch of crooks, and I am the one exposing that...... or is it something else??? or are you just an ass?

I could be mistaken, but I do wonder where these attacks seem to come from. Seem far more personal than a disagreement about how to post classified ads...

So do tell, is it something personal, or are you just on a tirade and my post was one that you focused in on. It is not THAT bid a deal, but I am wondering....

Last edited by dean51267; 06-30-2006 at 08:23 PM.
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:03 AM
  #47
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
My Boats: -
Posts: 31
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean51267
so Phil, do tell, what is eating you, about all I can figure is you could be tied in with that bunch of crooks, and I am the one exposing that...... or is it something else??? or are you just an ass?

I could be mistaken, but I do wonder where these attacks seem to come from. Seem far more personal than a disagreement about how to post classified ads...

So do tell, is it something personal, or are you just on a tirade and my post was one that you focused in on. It is not THAT bid a deal, but I am wondering....

Dean Dean Dean,

First of all I agree with you 100% about putting the price in classifieds.

Let me explain clearly why I took offense to the rest of your post, You said you thought you would get some rotten azzed used car salesman playing tricks etc. etc. My question for you is why not just stick to the topic and not bash other people. Let me give you an example, Lets say because of where you live I posted something like Did you hear Dean was kicked out of school for having sex with his teacher?........... Worst part was he was Home Schooled...
I dont think you would like ( I hope ) that, so why not just post kind or neutral things is my point.

With regards to being connected with those crooks, I dont know who you are talking about however, based on what i see I am sure your problems had nothing to do with your charming personality.

As for me being an Ass, it is clear that C.P.A. in your case means " Certified Punk Ass "

I hope this answers all your concerns and Please have A great Fourth of July weekend.
21ptl40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:15 AM
  #48
Registered
Thread Starter
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ptl40
Dean Dean Dean,

First of all I agree with you 100% about putting the price in classifieds.

Let me explain clearly why I took offense to the rest of your post, You said you thought you would get some rotten azzed used car salesman playing tricks etc. etc. My question for you is why not just stick to the topic and not bash other people. Let me give you an example, Lets say because of where you live I posted something like Did you hear Dean was kicked out of school for having sex with his teacher?........... Worst part was he was Home Schooled...
I dont think you would like ( I hope ) that, so why not just post kind or neutral things is my point.

With regards to being connected with those crooks, I dont know who you are talking about however, based on what i see I am sure your problems had nothing to do with your charming personality.

As for me being an Ass, it is clear that C.P.A. in your case means " Certified Punk Ass "

I hope this answers all your concerns and Please have A great Fourth of July weekend.

thanks for the clarification, I will just assume you are easily offended....

sorry if the rotten azzed car dealer comment hit to close to home, it was discribing the image generated, not pointed at you in particular....

no harm done, sorry you took offense..... have a great weekend....

For Future Referenec - it is CERTIFIED PAIN in the ASS.........

Last edited by dean51267; 07-01-2006 at 10:19 AM.
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:56 PM
  #49
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WA
My Boats: not shopping
Posts: 2,430
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375stinger
I understand how if someone is truly serious about a boat they will ask, but how is someone going to be truly serious about a boat when they are not even sure if they can afford it?
If you have to ask you cant afford it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean51267
sorry if the rotten azzed car dealer comment hit to close to home, it was discribing the image generated, not pointed at you in particular....

no harm done, sorry you took offense..... have a great weekend....

For Future Referenec - it is CERTIFIED PAIN in the ASS.........
I was and plan on being a car dealer again, would agree 99% decerve the rotten image. I like people putting prices in their ads because it gave potential customers an idea of what they wanted to spend.

My first job made me a certified pain in the ass. Dealership had a quota system based on your job. This was so effective a motivator that I would go door to door with brochure's in hand, trying to get people to come and look! Results I can keep people taliking with me. The longer I stood in the doorway talking the more chance I had of people coming back to the dealership to take a test drive. The phone was a simular game that I often won!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
This is the core question-

If I wouldn't like the price you list in the ad, what will you say to me when I call that you omitted in the description that will make me like the price when I hear it?
I've mastered the art of changing the subject, but keeping it all about getting a caller into the dealership! If a person calls they have looked at other ads for a sim object and have a price in mind. I avoid giving a price on the phone because chances are its not worth the drive over to your dealership! I want a person to come in and once inside want them to not start shopping around elsewhere. Part of the change of subject is getting people thinking that they will get the best deal they have in mind.

It's a game and if a sales person cant get people in, get people who walk in looking off the street buying than they are not good players. The quota system that I worked under and employ when I'm in the business weeds out weak players!

Example: my best sales came from our repair customers. Had a nice dentist lady who was planning a 3 day trip to wine country with her boyfriend. While waiting for the AC to be re-charged on their 560SEL, they started looking at a newer 500SL. I gave them the key's and told them to go for lunch with it. While gone had the repair people make up an excuse to keep the 560SEL over the weekend. When they returned made a few comments at how great the SL would be in wine country top down! The service advisor shortly after advised them that we needed their car for the whole weekend. Gave just long enough to let a ruined weekend sink in and then offered them the SL! Tuesday morning rolled around and sure enough she bought the SL.

The biggest mistake people made with me is telling me their budget. Even bigger when its for a lease, don't tell what you are willing to pay! Some call it sleazy, loser of the game often does say bad things about the winner, and thats what I call it being the victor......

Last edited by Zudnic; 07-01-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Zudnic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:33 PM
  #50
Registered
Thread Starter
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zudnic
If you have to ask you cant afford it!!!



I was and plan on being a car dealer again, would agree 99% deserve the rotten image. I like people putting prices in their ads because it gave potential customers an idea of what they wanted to spend.

I was a bit surprised by the impression the car dealer comment made, especially since I used to own a used car lot, and one of my "niches" is working for used car dealers. Not enough to retract the comment, but surprised none the less. Oh well, unless you sit on the sidelines someone is going to take offense no matter what....

We all have met a car dealer we LIKED, one who solved a problem, was straight with us, and we enjoyed the transaction before, during, and after the sale. And we have all met the sleazy azzed car salesman who will lie through his teeth, every word spoken is a sales pitch designed to lead the discussion toward making really, really hard to say no, no matter what we really wanted. I think there are social norms that we should expect of each other, the sleazy car dealer does not respect those norms. We all hate these people, or at least we hate their actions.

Looking through the classifieds we see people who think their schit must be made of gold by the prices, and others who seem quite reasonable in expectations of value and sales price. We all know the marine industry is not immune from sleazy sales gimmicks, not posting a price causes one to think this is the case...

The impression I get, as do some others, when there is no price I am going to talk with the second guy, when there is a price, I am more likely to talk with the first guy. And right now, as someone looking at purchasing a boat in the near future, I am not even about to call someone who has something to hide about the price....

Manufacturer requirements and unique situations excepted of course...
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Kool-Aid Man
Cigarette
40
11-25-2008 05:44 PM
LIVNLARGE
American Offshore
3
08-04-2008 09:08 PM
klmken
Checkmate
0
09-24-2004 01:31 AM
apache21
Apache
2
04-18-2002 11:14 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.