Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it?? >

If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it??

Notices

If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it??

Old 07-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it??

that Sea Phantom is freaky-looking!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it??

Tank,
I have spoken with GM about this content issue alittle bit, and GM listened! I think another area of coverage that needs attention is the boater access issues and BOATER RESTRICTIONS that are popping up all over the US!
Dean
Old 07-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To me, it seems like you see the same boats all the time in these magazines. I would like to see stuff like "reader rides", boats getting re-done....like the article on Tank's boat getting some upgardes. Articles on what going on in the industry...insurance issues, exhaust too loud, etc....
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

product reviews with actual performance results and comparisons with like competitors. I think we are all tired of the noose that advertisers place on the magazine. We want the magazine with offshore boats, all lengths and price points represented. You have to buy 3-4 magazines to get a good combined magazine.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Registered

Something the median and lower $$$ people can relate to and more of nice older boats. Most people say they can't realistically relate to much of anything in the magazines now days.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered

The funny thing is the fact that the complaints are comming in. That means that the purchasers are actually reading the articles, etc., enough to complain about it. And they keep on buying.
Hats off to the editors and publishers, photo guys, testers and everybody that gets these mags out. It takes alot to put this stuff out there for you to read and complain about.

just my .02 worth and I read 'em all.

-b2b
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been getting Hotboat and PB for years.
I recently let my HB run out - too much jet, v-drive, mid-cabin Open bow. Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool, just not what I'm interested in. I grew up on the NorthCoast (Erie), and those just aren't ideal for the kind of water I like.
I did like some of the tech. info in HB.
I kinda wish that as PB was re-doing your Cig there would have been more tech info. When they cut the glass for larger throttle controls, what type of Drill bit's/Blades did they use? High rpm, or low rpm? any "prep" steps? these are the type of things I would want to know before tearing my own boat apart to replace something that wasn't a direct drop in. Do I need to countersink new screw holes to prevent spider-web's? do I do this before or after making the actual fastening hole?

I also agree, the reports on boat tests are very blase'. Might as well not bother wasting the time to write an "article", a writer inventing new adjectives to try to make this boat different from the other 12 tested in the same issue. Just give every boat a "Grade Card", post the pretty Pictures, and make a one paragraph each comment on the goods/bads of each boat tested.
I also don't need the bikini photo's - not that I'm against them, they are a nice addition, but don't let them be the focus of the Magazine - I get Playboy to see that.
I would imagine you will be handing this thread off to PB - and that's good, I hope they take some of these considerations.
I do like the brief Race and Poker Run coverage, as well as news of things in the Marine Industry, and the people that have formed it over the years - the interviews are great in PB, but there are a lot of worthy candidates out there for interviews (I thought Brownie, and Tomlinson were great - I'd like to recommend our own member Top Bananna)

My .02 - that's what you were looking for wasn't it?
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 3,021 Likes on 988 Posts

Yes, these are the things I'm looking for. You guys see through me and see I'm talking about Powerboat mag. I do see negative comments about every magazine on the market and that is why I added others. But my focus is PBM. I'm glad to say that Powerboat wants feed back from its readers (and people who used to be readers) on how to make themselves better. I think a lot of you think PBM comes off as arrogant and not caring about their subscribers/readers, but it is indeed the exact opposite. Gregg is doing an EXCELLENT job at taking in feedback and putting it directly back into the mag. He wants to make you guys happy. This is your opportunity to get things you want to see into the magazine.

Now, keep the criticism coming. As long as it is constructive and it'll help, it is appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How to articles - i.e. " PB Magazine walks you through trim pump repair and maintenance" or "Installing external steering, a step by step guide" .........seem that more and more of us need to know our boats inside and out and need to know what we can do ourselves and what to send over to the pros -Jeff
Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I think you may find all your answers right here: H2o Full Throttle

They aren't just covering the Nation, but they are covering the World!

I look forward to seeing all of the different racing that goes on around the globe. It should make for some great stuff!
Attached Thumbnails If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it??-h2ofullt.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: If you ran a boating mag, what would YOU put in it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.