Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
best type of concrete for garage  floor?? >

best type of concrete for garage floor??

Notices

best type of concrete for garage floor??

Old 07-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best type of concrete for garage floor??

That place looks like a firehouse! -very nice!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Not ours yet!! 2nd floor=1700 square foot 2 bedroom apartment with a view!! This is being built on my mother in laws property by my brother in law and will house my mother in laws mother Got that? (and my AT) When my Mother in law retires we're buying the house til then it's a bad azz storage place for my AT.....with heated floors!!!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issues aren't so much additives, etc. It's quality of materials & installation. First is thickness. 4.5" would be the minimum I'd pour. Mine is 6". Next is the prep. Most concrete cracks because of settling. You need to make sure your site prep is flawless. Your contractor probably wants to get in and out. You need lots of deep compaction and that takes time- especially close to the foundation. Next is material. Specify 4,000psi concrete and require certification from the supplier. Tell the contractor you need a cured sample (this indicates you'll be having it independently tested) This will help ensure you get what you bought. If you do all this, you'll have a strong, durable floor.

The downside of in-floor heat is that you have a big challenge locating ther tubes if you ever need to drill the floor to mount something- like a lift.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More Garage info here also. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php?
A forum section on flooring in there.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
PullMyTrigger:
You want to go with a 3500psi(5.5sac)mix. Grade should be 4"-5" this is plenty for your application. Because you have freeze thaw I would recommend that they use crushed limestone. Instread of Natural round stone. It should only cost you a couple bucks extra per yard.(or meter for you canadians) Order your concrete with residential fibermesh. Don't use wire unless you have to, or you decide to install infloor heat.
As far as the styro-foam, well that stuff is a PITA. If you are going to heat the building ask you local Lumber Yard of Redi-Mix plant for a product called Insul-tarp instead of styrofoam. Is is much easier to deal with and the R-factor is little better. Plus it is cheaper than styro.
If you are pouring an approach on this building make sure that it is a 4000psi(6sac) mix. Again crushed lime stone and make sure you seal it.
I live in N. Michigan and winters are tough here also. Concrete really takes a beating in the winter. Make sure your contracrtor or you don't wet the chit out of the concrete prior to pouring and never spray water on top of fresh concrete to help finishing. It will lead to future problems. PM me if you need any info. Good Luck
Josh
Yeah, what he said.