Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
best type of concrete for garage  floor?? >

best type of concrete for garage floor??

Notices

best type of concrete for garage floor??

Old 07-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts
Default best type of concrete for garage floor??

building a 1700 sq ft shop for the boat and the cars........going to be pouring the floor in a week or so.......dont know much about concrete....as far as I know theres only 2 types.....regular and some suff with fibers in it to give it strength......which would be the best???

anyone right up on this that could give a quick "concrete 101???"........remember Im in the land of cold winters.....

aaaaanddd.....the building inspector says he wants to see 1" styrofoam insulation under the floor minimum around the outer edges
Old 07-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: best type of concrete for garage floor??

3000psi or higher and have it polished out while almost dry with one of those machines
Old 07-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6" of 5000psi with steel, put visqueen underneath, powertrowel finish
Old 07-22-2006, 05:40 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the radiant floor tubing. It can always be connected up at a future date.
I used the fiber impregnated concrete for my sidewalks.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

then use www.ucoatit.com or a comparable paint and sealer, you can add aluminum oxide for traction and you'll never have to worry about it again....
Old 07-22-2006, 06:18 AM
ck54
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use steel fibers in it, www.fiberconfiber.com
Old 07-22-2006, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PullMyTrigger:
You want to go with a 3500psi(5.5sac)mix. Grade should be 4"-5" this is plenty for your application. Because you have freeze thaw I would recommend that they use crushed limestone. Instread of Natural round stone. It should only cost you a couple bucks extra per yard.(or meter for you canadians) Order your concrete with residential fibermesh. Don't use wire unless you have to, or you decide to install infloor heat.
As far as the styro-foam, well that stuff is a PITA. If you are going to heat the building ask you local Lumber Yard of Redi-Mix plant for a product called Insul-tarp instead of styrofoam. Is is much easier to deal with and the R-factor is little better. Plus it is cheaper than styro.
If you are pouring an approach on this building make sure that it is a 4000psi(6sac) mix. Again crushed lime stone and make sure you seal it.
I live in N. Michigan and winters are tough here also. Concrete really takes a beating in the winter. Make sure your contracrtor or you don't wet the chit out of the concrete prior to pouring and never spray water on top of fresh concrete to help finishing. It will lead to future problems. PM me if you need any info. Good Luck
Josh
Old 07-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't forget to cut expansion joints. Tell your contractor to use a Soff-Cut saw and fill the joints with Sika (brand name) caulk. Concrete will do two things.. get hard and crack.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
PullMyTrigger:
You want to go with a 3500psi(5.5sac)mix. Grade should be 4"-5" this is plenty for your application. Because you have freeze thaw I would recommend that they use crushed limestone. Instread of Natural round stone. It should only cost you a couple bucks extra per yard.(or meter for you canadians) Order your concrete with residential fibermesh. Don't use wire unless you have to, or you decide to install infloor heat.
As far as the styro-foam, well that stuff is a PITA. If you are going to heat the building ask you local Lumber Yard of Redi-Mix plant for a product called Insul-tarp instead of styrofoam. Is is much easier to deal with and the R-factor is little better. Plus it is cheaper than styro.
If you are pouring an approach on this building make sure that it is a 4000psi(6sac) mix. Again crushed lime stone and make sure you seal it.
I live in N. Michigan and winters are tough here also. Concrete really takes a beating in the winter. Make sure your contracrtor or you don't wet the chit out of the concrete prior to pouring and never spray water on top of fresh concrete to help finishing. It will lead to future problems. PM me if you need any info. Good Luck
Josh
Exactly what he said, great advise. Also not needed but we do it to help give the concrete a place to crack..is divide your garage and put expansion joints with a trowel vs saw cut, and I divide them in a manner length wise down the middle and cross ways, approx 10x10, or 15x15. etc. Good luck. Jeff
Old 07-22-2006, 07:57 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

HMMMMM..................This is being built as we speak....all concrete, with radiant heat on both floors (only wood here is in the rafters and roofing!!! Can anyone say "BUNKER" My AT will be real safe (and warm) in here.
Attached Thumbnails best type of concrete for garage  floor??-garage-038-medium-.jpg  

Quick Reply: best type of concrete for garage floor??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.