Notices

Ocean Running Techniques

Old 07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ocean Running Techniques

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61
Found that out the "hard way" my first time out!
Remember, as we get older, we become like the housing market.
All we want is a "soft landing" .....
Time it right and you can still land softly, sometimes!

Originally Posted by thisistank
Threw some passengers to the floor a couple of times. Felt like I was sky diving with the boat!!
Tip for passengers; do not drink 26'er of peach snaps and a few beer while fishing in the calm. It will get rough on the way back and passing out on the floor is no fun, bouncing up and down on marine carpet is not only "rough" it hurts!!!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic

Tip for passengers; do not drink 26'er of peach snaps and a few beer while fishing in the calm. It will get rough on the way back and passing out on the floor is no fun, bouncing up and down on marine carpet is not only "rough" it hurts!!!!!
I sh*t you not, we were stone sober. I don't drink while running the boat in the ocean....Now lakes a different story
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Just a little tab and that trip/stuff would have never happened.
Agreed 100%...that was my comment on that thread. Why not just run a bit of tab. They were running that thing WAAAAY too loose for those conditions.

By the way Panther, why did they take the video down and how do we view it again?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Screw IT
I took a friend and his " bounce meter" on a poker run! Perfect seas for some nice hang time off the swells. Everyone was havin a blast except her so I was asked to go easy for the rest of the day. We made the most of it but I wont make that mistake ever again!
Just one more reason to run offshore in a Baja .....
My Baja's bounce meter comes with a "kill switch".
"Honey, goin' out for a couple of hours, be back later!"
Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Agreed 100%...that was my comment on that thread. Why not just run a bit of tab. They were running that thing WAAAAY too loose for those conditions.

By the way Panther, why did they take the video down and how do we view it again?
I heard rumors of copywrite infringement.... Petty BS...

Lucky I right clicked and "saved target as", it's saved on my computer now!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered

I sh*t you not, we were stone sober. I don't drink while running the boat in the ocean....Now lakes a different story
Passenger's should be encouraged to drink until they pass out, especially those that complain!

I've only boated on lakes a few times; one would be considered small (Cultus Lake in B.C), the thing I did'nt like compared to the Pacific was when it kicked up was the washing machine effect, found that needed more technique to deal with over the ocean. Not that I'm trying to change your drinking pattern's. In my end of the pacific we have a pass or channel passage way that you get rip tides that's much like washing machine on some lakes, but at least you can avoid them on the pacific.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I heard rumors of copywrite infringement.... Petty BS...

Lucky I right clicked and "saved target as", it's saved on my computer now!
Looks like it's still there to me. just watched it again!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
Passenger's should be encouraged to drink until they pass out, especially those that complain!

I've only boated on lakes a few times; one would be considered small (Cultus Lake in B.C), the thing I did'nt like compared to the Pacific was when it kicked up was the washing machine effect, found that needed more technique to deal with over the ocean. Not that I'm trying to change your drinking pattern's. In my end of the pacific we have a pass or channel passage way that you get rip tides that's much like washing machine on some lakes, but at least you can avoid them on the pacific.
Yep, "washing machine" chop is much harder to find a sweet spot because it's coming from every direction and that rogue boat wake may be coming to the side at any time! That's what I boat in 95% of the time. Even the "small" stuff demands your attention!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by noboat
Yep, "washing machine" chop is much harder to find a sweet spot because it's coming from every direction and that rogue boat wake may be coming to the side at any time! That's what I boat in 95% of the time. Even the "small" stuff demands your attention!

Easy way to explain the dif. and to some degree the technique. I did the orientation flight in a P-51 (Crazy Horse) in Kissimee. That sucker is so fast that every even slight power change requires a constant trim change to keep it in the sweet spot, even on a calm day for flying it's constant finding the sweet spot. Lakes even with the small stuff are like that. Fly any small single engine Cessna 172 say once you find the trim and sweet spot, not much work after that. On my few lake outings I commented that the conditions are not that rough compared to the ocean, it was just above small stuff conditions, but washing machine. Tossed my 22 Whaler around like a toy, find the sweet spot and like you said a wake from the side would through you off. Ocean once you find the right trim, speed, sweet spot, 9 times out of 10 you are going to hit and land most waves the same. The same Whaler in fairly good rough stuff, was pretty dang solid and predictable. It liked to plow into and smash most waves, it was a better ride to lift the bow up a little and even give a little throttle over the top, gave her a bit of forward momentum and smoother landings, as opposed to smash wave lift the bow and come straight down butt first...... Take 6 roller's on the ocean over smaller washing machine on a lake any-day of the week.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Registered

I believe that the angle of attack, the boats direction as compared to the prevailing wind and swells, probably has the most influence in determining a "sweet spot" when running offshore.

It seems that once a comfortable trim has been established for your cruising speed, the angle of attack by itself can change the characteristics of the run. Even when confronted by a "washing machine" chop, this angle seems to determine the severity of the ride.

When I make the 12-mile run from Channel Islands to Ventura, I sometimes end up running an additional 3-4 miles out to sea in order to create a better angle to reach my destination. Even with the extra distance traveled, my actual elapsed time doesn't seem to increase much because I am able to run comfortably at a much greater speed.

Quick Reply: Ocean Running Techniques

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.