Notices

Ocean Running Techniques

Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ocean Running Techniques

It seems that much of the information posted on OSO relates to achieving maximum speeds and WOT preparations. Since my boating is done offshore in the Pacific ocean in the windy Ventura & Channel Islands area, normal sea conditions seem to eliminate the WOT option and make high-speed running a bit of a science. Lets start with the assumption that a quiet day on the water is 1-2’ wind waves w 2-3’ swells, but the average day is usually 2-3’ wind waves w 3-5’ swells.

I have become quite comfortable running at 40-45mph with occaisional stints at 50-55mph on a quiet day. I have only been able to reach about 60-65mph (4500-4700rpm) within the limited 300-yard stretch protected by the breakwater. However on an average day with more difficult seas, all speeds seem to come down by 10mph. When piloting Christopher’s 272, I seem most comfortable at similar speeds although the additional length and weight provide a more secure “re-entry” when flying across wave tops. I’ve learned to enjoy a bit of aggression when running troughs (the valley between the swells) which, if the wind and current angle is right, can go for quite a long way, but have also learned to throttle-back quickly when surfing up the crests, especially after I became completely airborne on my first adventure.

That being said, I would enjoy hearing from others who run offshore about their comfort zones relating to both speed and technique when running in “quiet” and “average” seas.

BTW: 2000 Baja 232 Boss w 454 Mag MPI
Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Ocean Running Techniques

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@61
It seems that much of the information posted on OSO relates to achieving maximum speeds and WOT preparations. Since my boating is done offshore in the Pacific ocean in the windy Ventura & Channel Islands area, normal sea conditions seem to eliminate the WOT option and make high-speed running a bit of a science. Lets start with the assumption that a quiet day on the water is 1-2’ wind waves w 2-3’ swells, but the average day is usually 2-3’ wind waves w 3-5’ swells.

I have become quite comfortable running at 40-45mph with occaisional stints at 50-55mph on a quiet day. I have only been able to reach about 60-65mph (4500-4700rpm) within the limited 300-yard stretch protected by the breakwater. However on an average day with more difficult seas, all speeds seem to come down by 10mph. When piloting Christopher’s 272, I seem most comfortable at similar speeds although the additional length and weight provide a more secure “re-entry” when flying across wave tops. I’ve learned to enjoy a bit of aggression when running troughs (the valley between the swells) which, if the wind and current angle is right, can go for quite a long way, but have also learned to throttle-back quickly when surfing up the crests, especially after I became completely airborne on my first adventure.

That being said, I would enjoy hearing from others who run offshore about their comfort zones relating to both speed and technique when running in “quiet” and “average” seas.

BTW: 2000 Baja 232 Boss w 454 Mag MPI
Depends on the conditions but my boat likes to run fast in snotty water better than it does in flat water. Flat water is a really boring ride although that's what my wife would prefer.

Throttling really effects the boats ride and attitude. Keeping the "momentum" up is important. I usually go hard on the throttles just before we launch, it keeps the bow level and straight, back in it just as the props (not the boat) hit the water.

My boat runs low 80's WOT but in rough water (5+ ft) I've seen mid' - upper 70's because the drives are tucked in and the tabs are down a little. My props are set up for best cruise speed and WOT but with a smaller prop it would run even better in rough water.

In a 2-3 ft. chop the boat runs it's fastest.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Registered

Panther
What boat are you running offshore?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

he's running a 36 apache.
still haulin, to run bigger water you'll need a bigger boat.

What deadrise in your 232 baja?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Panther
What boat are you running offshore?
36 Apache, T-700's.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Stormrider
23-degree deadrise ....

My thread is really not intended as a search for additional speed, but to better understand techniques in running offshore waters. It would be interesting to understand how pilots of larger boats would modify their technique if running offshore in a 23" boat.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its going to be hard to run fast in any 23' boat in 5 foot waves.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Stormrider
23-degree deadrise ....

My thread is really not intended as a search for additional speed, but to better understand techniques in running offshore waters. It would be interesting to understand how pilots of larger boats would modify their technique if running offshore in a 23" boat.
The goal is the keep the boat "in" the water as much as possible. Even is your speed is lower you'll be much more consistent than the dude next to you who is flying thru the air all out of shape.

Consistent and aggressive!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Its going to be hard to run fast in any 23' boat in 5 foot waves.
I must have missed the part about him owning a 32 fountain

Sorry, couldnt help myself

Old 07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

BajaRunner
You're certainly correct on that point!

But it seems that trottle technique, wave angles and trim settings have a distinct impact in achieving a comfort zone offshore. My first couple of runs were a about 10mph below my current comfort zone, therefore I'm convinced that there is much more to learn.

Quick Reply: Ocean Running Techniques

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.