Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks. >

3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.

Notices

3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.

Thank you to all of our men and women in the military service for giving their lives, and their time to protect the freedom all of us enjoy everyday. To come here and discredit what our military service members have done and sacrificed for all of us to live free is completely arrogant. God bless the USA, and all of our men and women serving this wonderful country.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pantera1
I love seeing our Military might/technology ..i miss these bad girls
Battleships, now those are some azz kickin machines! I loved it when Big Mo was using its 16" guns to drop volkswagen size shells on Sadaams guys in Kuwait. acurately I might add.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Could be. I thought it was landing only because it would seem that they accelerate so damn fast off those freeking cats. and if they did not have the wind that they coudl just turn them up a little. Seems silly that such a small amount of air speed would make the difference in a plane that goes so freeking fast but it definatly does.
Yup. The cats shoot them up to about 160 mph, plus the jets are in full burner when shot. Remember, when they land, that its pretty much a "controlled" crash. If they miss the wire, they have to go around. Its gotta be pretty strange to land a jet, and go to full throttle till you know you are trapped. Totally opposite to landing on the ground with thrust reversers and brakes. Naval aviators have to be the best.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Battleships, now those are some azz kickin machines! I loved it when Big Mo was using its 16" guns to drop volkswagen size shells on Sadaams guys in Kuwait. acurately I might add.
And those were with guns built SIXTY years ago. Now she is in Pearl, facing the Arizona. The beginning and the end of WWII together, pretty fitting!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by the duke
If I remember right, thats about the correct speed of air needed with the cats to shoot the planes. But the wind over the deck is needed to launch the jets, not to recover them.

Its true that they always keep about 27kts of wind over the deck for air operations. But it is for both launch AND recovery. Upon launch, the wings of the aircraft are packing air underneath of them and creating lift. At the end of the cat stroke, the aircraft is hurled off the end of the deck losing a lot of that lift created by the air betweend the deck and the wings. That is the reason they need the head wind for extra lift. When you stand behind the E-2C's and the COD's you can actually see them dip down sometimes out of site for a second off the end of the deck. When you are in a COD you get a feeling of weightlessnes at the end of the cat stroke. It is a very odd sensation after the pull of the cat. Feels like you just stopped and are falling out of the sky for a second or two.

Upon recovery, a head wind allows the aircraft to have a slower approach speed which is important mainly for the F-18's.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

here are some more photos....
Attached Thumbnails 3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-e2c-landing-large-.jpg   3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-e2c-touchdown-large-.jpg   3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-e2c-deck-large-.jpg  

Old 08-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep 'em coming Century, I love this stuff!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

more...
Attached Thumbnails 3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-f18-deck-large-.jpg   3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-gw-day-two-wednesday-landings-008-large-.jpg   3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-lpd-17-large-.jpg  

Old 08-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

more pictures
Attached Thumbnails 3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-gw-day-two-wednesday-landings-010-large-.jpg   3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-gw-day-two-wednesday-landings-011-large-.jpg   3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-gw-day-two-wednesday-landings-036-large-.jpg  

Old 08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

last for now.
Attached Thumbnails 3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-gw-day-two-wednesday-landings-013-large-.jpg   3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-gw-day-two-wednesday-landings-014-large-.jpg   3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.-gw-day-two-wednesday-landings-005-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 3 Aircraft Carriers running together Picks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.