Notices

First performance boat

Old 08-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First performance boat

First, let me say that I appreciate the input on this...I've been in other types of forums and I know how repetitive & sometimes boring a general question can be. This one is another "can of worms" type entry from someone getting ready to make a purchase (not imminent...but likely within the next 6-7 months) - with that, I'll try to keep it short.

- Targeted size is in the 25-29' range

- Speed is important, but not the only factor; handling is also going to rank way up the ladder (understanding, of course, I will drive each of those I'm interested in before purchasing so I can feel all of this for myself).

- I would also consider value retention important, as a move up to a larger boat will surely be in the cards at some point.

- At the end of the day the budget will affect all of this initial move...so I'm targeting $100K +/- for this drill to get a quality boat/size combination.

- A short list of those I've initially considered: 27' Fever; Velocity 260; Formula 271; 26' Prowler. I've also heard decent stuff about the Formula 271.

- Lastly, I see significant savings in the purchase of a low hour, late model boat. I only worry about the cowboy who bought his boat, dogged it, and then didn't want to make the payments in the winter months... . Thoughts on used would be appreciated as well.

I understand that, ultimately, there will be some comprises to make (speed versus comfort factors, etc.). I guess generic feedback (or suggested websites, articles, etc.) on a first performance-type boat (versus the family cruiser or other platform) is what I'd be looking for - and appreciate. Thanks to all -

Jeff

Old 08-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: First performance boat

WOW, did you open a can of worms!!! Lot of good boats in that range. It will be a tough choice. I suggest looking through the classified section here to get a better look at what you are interested in. Looks, styling, cockpit and cabin.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

buy this hard to beat this deal and i bet there is still some room for negotiation on the price
Old 08-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Registered

If It Was My Choice I Would Go With The Fourmula.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

The fountain and the formula are REAL small 27's. I would go for the velocity.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

for 100k go bigger
Old 08-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
The fountain and the formula are REAL small 27's. I would go for the velocity.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN SMALL 27? I KNOW THE FOUNTAIN IS ABOUT 25' BUT THE FORMULA IS 27'1"X 8'3". JUST WONDERING WHY YOU CONSIDER THE FORMULA SMALL. IS IT THE COCK PIT OR CABIN THAT YOU ARE REFERING TO?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another choice at the top of my list would be a 28 Active Thunder or 28 Donzi. Why do you boat? That will make a difference on what you consider good handling. Small lake of river, big lake, or ocean/great lakes?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
WHAT DO YOU MEAN SMALL 27? I KNOW THE FOUNTAIN IS ABOUT 25' BUT THE FORMULA IS 27'1"X 8'3". JUST WONDERING WHY YOU CONSIDER THE FORMULA SMALL. IS IT THE COCK PIT OR CABIN THAT YOU ARE REFERING TO?
The Formula is 27' INCLUDING the swim platform. Its got the same waterline length as a 25' Outlaw.

That said, it has plenty of cockpit space and a decent size cabin. Good engine access, and build quality 2nd to none.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
With the silent thunder its like 25 right?? Not trying to bash anyone. They are a great riding boat.

Quick Reply: First performance boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.