Notices

step hull

Old 09-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: step hull

As I recall, George Linder told me that you did not test the aeration on that set-up. In case that is true I will attempt to recall the effect,
The step on the Challenger was a different idea, it was a small step, almost a notch that only existed between the two inside strakes. It did not extend to the outer edge of the hull. The problem seemed to be that the water around that step set-up sealed off the ability for the air to be draw in and 'release' the low pressure area created. The boat was stuck down until a wave or some 'release occurred. The solution was to allow air, via a pipe, to release the negative pressure and therefore release the boat.
I have had the same experience with a shallow notch holding on while coming on plane. Again piping in a release opportunity for air solved the problem.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that the name of that picture is "Stinson Splash" just made me fall out of my chair. Has anyone heared from him? That crash may have had more to do with He and Dick arguing at each other rather than running the boat. Best race footage I ever saw in my life was a deckshot of Sean and Dick running F-2. They kept yelling at each other and at one point Dick got SO mad he actually stopped looking at where he was going and looked over at Sean for about 5 secounds. Kinda like a father getting ready to slap his kid accross the front seat. What ever happened to the good ol days of racing?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
Now I'm just checking here, T2x,

When you built the Challenger 21 with the step in it... remember... do you recall that it went better with or without aeration tubes in it?
I remember the difference.
As I recall, the stepped 21 was actually slower than a straight bottom without the tubes...after adding the tubes,,,the vacuum was released and speeds increased but not quite up to the non-stepped speed...... with the exception of the sterndrive (heavier hull...deeper in the water) That boat had equal speed either way....... (65 mph range).

My belief is that pads and steps are not a good combo....

T2x