Notices

Mercury Motors

Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Mercury Motors

I am kind of an outboard guy and I am confused. A "JACKPLATE" is not part of the motor or a MERCURY product but an ad on between the boat and motor. I have NEVER heard the term GOOSENECK in refrence to any boat / motor part. As far as the "NEW" outboard a good friend of mine installs over a hundred a year on his center console fishing boat and the take a BEATING at 60mph plus on an 8000lb boat. Much more so than a "BASS BOAT" at around 4000lbs? I've never heard of ANY CLAMP BRACKET faliures from them over the last two years.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for the record: My friends Mercury 225 EFI was attached directly to the boat (no jackplate). And it was the "swivel bracket" (is that the right term ?) as part of the mid section of the outboard that broke. The swivel bracket broke off in the top part of the swivel bracket. Unfortunately I did not bring my camera so we have no pictures of this.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklins
I just thought it would be who could build the fastest boat in its class.
It is in the OSS Supercat and Extreme classes.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was just wondering why most race boats run Mercury motors instade of other brands of motors?
I was just wondering why this line of questions went from race engine manufacture to upper housing failure on Bass boats.........?

What exactly is your point? If it is to smear Mercury bass boat motors on an Offshore forum, I wonder why exactly.....?

Mercury, like all outboard manufacturers has a warrantee department because things do fail occasionally, and, yes, an ounce of preventive maintenance is worth a pound of after the fact cure...

In the meantime, Mercury is the best game in town for the spec engines currently mandated by the various racing organizations. Over the years their considerable engineering budget and R&D have given us everything from racing sterndrives, EFI, and readily available racing propellors,to onsite race trucks and support, to a nationwide service and Warrantee network for high performance engines and drives....

Mercury may not be perfect, but they have been there, through thick and thin ...for decades...and without the vision of Old man Kiekhaefer and his corporate creation...... our sport would be drastically different...and , I submit, for the worse.

T2x
Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Registered

I simply asked these questions because I see you guys run the motors. I did not no why this was since it is all new to me!! The reason I asked about the motors breaking of is because I know you guys would put them to the full test. I am not meaning to nock mercury I am just speaking the truth for what I have seen. The motors are letting go and it has nothing to do with the jackplate. I may not be saying the right term of the motor part but I think it must be the motor clamp bracket. When they fly off the motor bolts and bracket are still there and they are breaking where the 90 turn is before the pivet point. My friend just got out of the hospitle last week from when his let go. He has a big gash in his head. Last year when the one brock off in Detorit Rive it brock a girls leg and nocked out the guy. Thank god for life jacket they were thrown out of the boat and the guys wife swam over and rolled his face out of the water. These where the only two times there has been people heart. The other 250 just fell of my other friends boat and in down in lake St Clair. This motor was only used about 4or 5 times since he justed bought the boat. (It was a 2006 modle)
So you can see I am not just making this up, but just wondered if you's were having the same problem!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Registered

I was just wondering why most race boats run Mercury motors instade of other brands of motors?
are you referring to outboards or IOs or both?

Mercury motors, IMO are nearly bullet proof, very reliable and affordable. I come from a build your own motor, race class and can tell you first hand, the Mercs are a pleasure to run.

In racing, there is a million ways to cheat. if there is a will, there is a way. Even merc motors have proven to be juiced, but were eventually caught.

In SVL, we chose to run the blue motors as a class. They are affordable, reliable easy to police and Merc support at the races is absolutely necessary.

Some Innovation/ GM Vortecs still run and very well, but must be replaced with Mercs for 07.

Since the 500, 500efi, and 525 efis were introduced I only know of a couple that were fried.

Raylar...

Dont take this the wrong way, your motor looks like a sweet unit, however I doubt very much you will see it running in the super series any time soon. Have Brian and Kevin talk to me about it.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Registered

I didn't know they made anything other than a Black Motor!!!
Attached Thumbnails Mercury Motors-truck-plate-002_edited.jpg  
Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
Raylar...

Dont take this the wrong way, your motor looks like a sweet unit, however I doubt very much you will see it running in the super series any time soon. Have Brian and Kevin talk to me about it.
Bruce, relax..........we just put a freh coat of blue paint on it.

But seriously, this is the new motor for the former F1 boat. Since we are now racing it in the P5 class it will be a great avenue to introduce the Raylar engine package. Like Mercury, its time to prove itself on the race course.

The motor is based on my 496 which had a cracked block. Using the Raylar engine trade-in program I got a nicely upgraded engine with power equivalent to the blue 525. This motor package offers significant savings over the blue motor package and Raylar is willing to sponsor a contingency package and offer race support if there product becomes spec class legal at some point in the future.

In the mean time I'm just gonna hammer this motor and see if its worthy of future consideration. Ray may regret putting it in my boat
Old 09-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe because you know what your getting with a set price and no b.s..cause you will get it now...cause ther will be no issues....cause there is more than one service center..and a warranty even if it is just 90 days..the list is endless ....pleeeeze...sounds like the hottest deal around!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Maybe because you know what your getting with a set price and no b.s..cause you will get it now...cause ther will be no issues....cause there is more than one service center..and a warranty even if it is just 90 days..the list is endless ....pleeeeze...sounds like the hottest deal around!!!!
Hottest Deal Around? Not even suggesting it. A viable alternative when repowering your boat - hell yes!

Mercury Racing makes a great product, race proven and as mentioned service centers and warranty support. All are great reasons to own Mercury Racing products, our SVL is Mercury Racing sponsored and their support is highly valued and appreciated! You are trying to pick a fight where there is none.

That being said I am happy to be working with Raylar and am excited to put their motor out on the race course and see how she runs. I don't know many other viable options you have when you need to rebuild/repower your 496 and keep the costs a fraction of the cost of a new blue motor..........pleeeeze

Quick Reply: Mercury Motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.