Like Tree0Likes

Dwi

Old 09-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Registered

Default Re: Dwi

expensive date,

I too wont drive after any alchohol. Seeing an event like that first hand is a sobering experience in all aspects - I can relate. About 15 years ago, I was in SanFran on business and a drunk passed out while driving into an intersection - he plowed into a crowd at a crosswalk after hitting a car coming through the intersection- I was in that crowd and luckily heard the first impact and moved just enouogh to be missed as the car spun through the group. Others were not so lucky.........I still remember the eyes of a beautiful Asian girl as she laid partially under the car and what appeared to be her family around her.....she was conscious but no emotion in her eyes - my guess was paralysis - others had many significant injuries but I believe no deaths. The driver had passed out from drinking as he approached the intersection - he died of what appeared to be head unjuries from the impact. That day changed a lot of my thoughts and actions related to drinking.
Prayers for the kids and all impacted.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Registered

My Boats: '95 Wellcraft Nova 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda
I don't. I'm in the same boat so to speak as Audiofn. Debbie doesn't drink, so I always have a dd. If she can't go with me, I simply don't go out drinking. Not even one. I can't say I was always that way, the State of Florida made a believer out of me ten years ago. I got popped for a dui, and to be honest with you, in retrospect, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me. It wasn't so much the punishment of the dui that made me make the decision to never drink and drive, believe it or not, it was the dui class. I then understood what a stupid, careless, and selfish act it is. I could not live with myself if I killed or injured someone because I figured I can handle it. I am truly thankful that my eyes were opened before something terrible happened. I even thought how sad my mom and dad would be if I killed myself being drunk while driving. Like I said, it's just plain selfish, putting your wants ahead of the rest of the world. The reason I don't even have one drink, is because I KNOW how I am. One's too many, and a thousand ain't enough. It's real easy for me to not take that first drink, but after the second drink, there's no stopping me. I'm the same way in the boat. Ask anyone who's ever boated with me if they have seen me even take a sip of beer while driving. You won't. Don't misunderstand me, I often tell Debbie that the only time I'm truly happy is when I'm drunk, but I will not endanger other people to make me truly happy.
I got a DWI {knocked down to a DUI} in 1983. The experience changed my drinking habits considerably. Same as Cuda...if I have 1 or 2, I wanna keep going. So I just don't drink when I go out unless I have a designated driver to take over. Wife is a pretty good sport about that I won't drive the truck, car, or boat if I drink.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expensive Date
He blew a 1.3 got info tonight.And he was only 20 so he has been locked up twice before he can even legally drink.
Was also in a bar prior to accident ....underage drinking in bar
One kid still in hospital (punctured lung) among other things other two knee,ankle, face trama just left the girls house her father told me she keeps having nightmares and is in a lot of pain
I want to thank everyone who left intelligent replies.those who did not you are the problem with high performance boating.My point of this thread was to raise awareness.It was like 3:00AM and I was too wound up to sleep
So we have one 20 year old going to jail
and three kids that will be spending a lot of there teen years going to doctors and probable a few knee surgery's
Cab fare and picking you car up the next day dosen't seem like a big inconvenience compared to the alternative
Was it a 1.3 or a .13 bac? 1.3 is 13 times the ouil limit in michigan and way past legally dead,.13 is about 5-7 drinks in 2 hours depending on your body weight,Smitty
Old 09-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW

I do see there are alot of people on OSO who don't drink and drive no matter what (or say they don't). Right or wrong other than the poker runs I have been around I see about 80% of my fellow boaters drinking some kind of alchohol while boating,Smitty
Old 09-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Registered

My Boats: 05 35 Fountain EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by articfriends
Was it a 1.3 or a .13 bac? 1.3 is 13 times the ouil limit in michigan and way past legally dead,.13 is about 5-7 drinks in 2 hours depending on your body weight,Smitty
.13 test was taken about 1 1/2 after accident so was probably higher at time of accident
Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2001 Daytona 26, 1992 SCARAB 34, 1989 25 Checkmate Convincer, 1977 Glastron Carlson CVX 18

I also don't drink and drive anything.
If I got a DUI and lost my drivers license I would not be able to work.
It sure isn't hard to pick out the ones here that drink and drive.
PREATTY DAMN STUPID IDIOTS.
I hope the only ones they hurt are themselves - And I hope they are single and their parents are dead allready so that no one misses them.
Preatty immature children ( can't call them adults )
You arn't an adult untill you learn what responsibility is all about.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Registered

I would rather be in a car with a guy that has had six beers than teen age girl on a cell phone in a fight with her boy friend.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered

My Boats: 19'baron to name a few

Bad drunks giving good drunks a bad name.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

My Boats: 85 Formula 302

Cell phones and other distractions while driving are bad. But, if one of those drivers notices an inpending accident, they can drop the phone and focus on driving with sober perceptions, responses and reflexes. Drunk drivers can't stop being drunk to advoid an accident.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Registered

My Boats: 19'baron to name a few

While arguing with their girlfriend