Seadoo RXT vs Yamaha FX waverunners

Old 09-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Seadoo RXT vs Yamaha FX waverunners

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Honda is the best fit/finish
Yamaha is the most reliable overall (yes, the mid-gen powervalve motors need retainer clips on them to be safe, and the early GPR1300's had grate fasteners pulling thru the hull).
Kawasaki is the third of the Jap skis, but some of their models are real jewels. Nothing really to knock except for some of the early STX's handling horribly and the Ultra150 with its tendency to spit you over the high side at 60+ on occasion (I have one and love it, but it does give big purple and yellow bruises on your butt when it flyswats you).

All of the Jap mfrs spend a lot of money on R&D before they release a unit to the public. They can have some bugs but are generally well sorted.

SeaDoo spends their money on marketing. Good units, inferior finish work when compared to the japs, but they are quick to let the customers be their research team. Warranty nightmares, and lots of denied claims.

The 06 supercharger clutch in the 'Doo is much improved and far beefier. Took em 4 years of denied warranty claims and emptying customers wallets to get a new upgrade, but it is here. It still needs the ceramic washers replaced with hardened steel ones if you plan to run it hard in rough water. The first year supercharged boats also had plastic pump housings. They got that right the second year. Things like this kill the resale value on the units with the badly engineered pieces. At least the pump housing upgrade is relatively easy to do.

If you plan to get a supercharged Doo, then get an 06.

The old rotary valve Doo motors were bulletproof, but they NEEDED to be. Of all the skis I've dragged behind my boats on a rope, the Doos were the only ones that would completely fill their crankcases with seawater flowing into the motor from the exhaust. They also had a few years of questionable crankshafts which flaked the chrome off the journals.

The Rotax 4 stroke triple is a good motor. The GTX / RXP is a good hull and is a lot of fun. But stick with an 06.

The supercharged Kawi is going to be one heck of a boat. I am going to put it on my wish list.
Thank you. That is great info, but,....which one would you buy? Seadoo or Yamaha?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
My Seadoo dealer tells me along with the specs from the brochure that both the RXP and GTX limited have the same hull/bottom.
You should check your brochure again I think. GTX is longer and has features to prevent spray.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OffshoreTom
You should check your brochure again I think. GTX is longer and has features to prevent spray.
They are identical hull dimensions. The Limited was approx 5 pounds heavier.( probably due the extra stuff it comes with)There might be something extra there to deflect the water, but length, width, etc is showing absolutely the same.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Registered

I have 2 Yami's. I tested the the Seadoo 215 hp and did like the acceleration, but ultimately went with the 160 Yami and a 1300 (2-seater) Yami. My wife usually takes the 3 seater and loves the dry ride along with reliabillity. I realllllllllly like my 1300 since I just hit 77 gps (heavily modded)!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Here is the low down
Get the honda if you want to have a very reliable boat that isn't the greatest at any singel thing but being reliable. Good boat yea, but not the fastest or best handling.

Get the Yami if you want to go do spins. These are usually the people that think they look cool, but everyone else knows better.

Get the Sea Doo if you want a balls to the wall fast ride. And be look cool while on the Doo. But get the extended warranty because you'll need it. Doo has two offerings though, RXP and RXT. Good luck and have fun. Stay out of everyone's way. And beware of the new rider that gets confident, those are the ones that get into trouble.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
They are identical hull dimensions. The Limited was approx 5 pounds heavier.( probably due the extra stuff it comes with)There might be something extra there to deflect the water, but length, width, etc is showing absolutely the same.
I pulled this from the specs on the Seadoo site.

GTX Limited hull - 130.3"
RXP hull - 120.9"
Old 09-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Registered

The GTX and the RXT-ank have the same hulls and are 3 seaters at 130 inches, the RXPeePee is a 2 seater and is 120 inches... and I wouldn't own any of them... go kawi, or yammi...
Old 09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris288
The GTX and the RXT-ank have the same hulls and are 3 seaters at 130 inches, the RXPeePee is a 2 seater and is 120 inches... and I wouldn't own any of them... go kawi, or yammi...
That is correct. At this point, it looks like the Yamaha. The Seadoos are fast, but who wants one with potential problems and what,s worse, one with a manufacturer who has questionable warranty practices?

The kawasaki w/ 250 hp sounds nice, but I hate to buy anything that has just has been introduced.

Last edited by pm203; 09-29-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatictherapy
Here is the low down
Get the honda if you want to have a very reliable boat that isn't the greatest at any singel thing but being reliable. Good boat yea, but not the fastest or best handling.

Get the Yami if you want to go do spins. These are usually the people that think they look cool, but everyone else knows better.

Get the Sea Doo if you want a balls to the wall fast ride. And be look cool while on the Doo. But get the extended warranty because you'll need it. Doo has two offerings though, RXP and RXT. Good luck and have fun. Stay out of everyone's way. And beware of the new rider that gets confident, those are the ones that get into trouble.
I couldn't get my FX-140 to spin for nothing. She'd toss your azz right off! Great ride and adequate power. Loved it.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered

I can't believe i'm going to say this BUT, the RXT isn't a bad machine at all,, save for the ceramic washer problem they are a descent machine. They have increased the size of the cearmic and it is more reliable, but there are still failures, the metal washer fix seems to be working too. I've also heard they put the RXT on a diet for 07 and it lost 55 lbs.. It's rumored they cut back on the glass and resin to save money so they wouldn't have to raise the price. so now hull integrity seems like it could possibly be an issue, only time will tell on this issue... Sea-Bomb IMO has always had questionable warranty practices and like has been said, usually the consumer is their testing guinea pig...

Last edited by Chris288; 09-29-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Seadoo RXT vs Yamaha FX waverunners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.