Notices

Why not race?

Old 10-01-2006, 08:41 AM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why not race?

Originally Posted by el indio
The poker runs have more deaths then real racing.........must be the thrill........m.m........
Most Poker Runs have 50-75 boats in the event the Large ones have 100 Plus,,,, I have not seen 50 race boats (which are split into 6-10 classes) run together for a very long time ,,,, Maybe 94-96 Key West ??? More particpants== more acidents! I still agree with your thoughts
Run them offshore!!

RHC
Old 10-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Why not race?

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
To me they are two totaly differnt sports. I am not a racer, but from observation I think poker runers enjoy the freedom and the social aspect of it as opposed to the rigidity of racing. You can pick your venues, you can bring your spouses and friends, if it is rough you don't have beat yourself up or even complete a leg, you don't have to run in circles, and you can build your engines to your specifications. And lastly you can bring your pet Yorkie

In our house poker running keeps the peace, Ian gets to go fast and because I get to go along it keeps me interested in boating and a lot more agreeable when instead of a birthday gift we get a new fuel pump and oil coolers. While I enjoy an occassional race there is no way I would sit on the sidelines weekend after weekend unable to ride in our boat. So for our lifestye and budget it is poker runs for us

Ms P

Poker run is a sport ???????????????
Old 10-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the real reason most all these Poker Run boats do not race is because racing and poker running the boat fast is 2 very different things. Poker Runs are fast but not at the expense of beating yourself and the boat up. Racing a boat you are on the far edge of fast for a long time. Racing is very different than just running your poker run boat across the lake or down the intracoastal waterway.
Also the race organizations here is the USA are in trouble with very low boat counts, loss of major sponsors and the expense to race is far greater than Poker Running with your buddy's
Old 10-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Registered

Oh also Poker Running is NOT I repete NOT a sport! You do not have to have any athletic ability at all to particapate in a Poker Run. Boating is NOT a sport either it is an outdoor activity.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

I love doing both it is addiction.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually try to stay out of these,but actually both are sports.

Helpful Definitions:

Sport: A form of leisure-time physical activity that is planned, structured and competitive.

sport (spôrt, sprt) n.
1. a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

My wife and I have talked about buying a race boat many times. It is a huge commitment from everyone we've talked with and also a way to make sure you have no leisure time for anything else! There are a couple of successful husband/wife teams out there and we may yet decide to jump in (me on throttles).

I believe most Poker Runners do it for the fun but a very few do it to be the big dog. In racing, boats in classes are equal. In Poker Runs, a few dominate the rest of us (watch out for "catkiller" ) . Just once I would like to be the big dog! But, that being said, I love to run alongside of the true cream of the crop, even if just for a little while, then have a chat after the run. How many times do the NASCAR guys participate in a "Rally" and than have a chat after lunch with their fans? It is a very unique opportunity which needs to be protected. (Off of soapbox now.)
Old 10-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

this is a greaty argument, but for racing to be anything (for me to get into) it has to go back to its roots.The scary thing is i dont think it ever will.................
Old 10-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nocigarette
this is a greaty argument, but for racing to be anything (for me to get into) it has to go back to its roots.The scary thing is i dont think it ever will.................

What part of the roots are you lookin for? just curious ....
Old 10-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Registered

Racing looked very promising back in the late 90's up until 2003. After 2003 it has been in the dump.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Racing looked very promising back in the late 90's up until 2003. After 2003 it has been in the dump.

How many races you been to this year?

Quick Reply: Why not race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.