Like Tree0Likes

Fountain vs Formula

Old 10-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Who Me?
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain
Default Re: Fountain vs Formula

forget the Baja..totally not even in the same class as Fountain or Formula. As far as appointments go Fountains 2007 line is super nice and they have the tv's, sink, coolers, friges, storage too and Fountain extremely well put together. Just go and knock on the hull side of a Fountain. The only thing I do not like about the Formula is how shallow the cockpit is. The Fountain is deeper and to me safer. I have not looked at Forumlas wiring latley but it was good production boat style but Fountain really needs to tidey up the wiring harness work some. Although I have owned 2 Fountains and never 1 single electrical problem...it just looks nicers that's all.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Who Me?
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Rippem]I'll bet that bigger guys would generally choose the roomy feel of the Formula at the helm, the McCleod bolsters and electric footrests. As PB said "anyone can get comfortable in the Formula". Not so in the 35 Beaker...I've tried. [QUOTE]

I am a fountain guy and I have to agree with this on the 35 Fountain vs the 35 Formula. The helm of the Forumla is more roomy and the Fountain is race car tight. This would be true for guys 6'3" and taller. I am 6'5" tall and do not fit real good behind the 35 EX Fountain but I do fit behind the Fountain Lightning. The Formula adjustable foot rests are da bomb though.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike
I have not looked at Forumlas wiring latley but it was good production boat style but Fountain really needs to tidey up the wiring harness work some.
very nice behind the dash/instrument work, main harness, as well as bilge routing and secure rigging, though I have found on mine some less than well gatherd/loomed and supported stuff up in the gunnels. I took care of it 'cause I'm anal about chit like that, but there's no excuse in a boat that's completely rigged before the deck goes on.

and how 'bout that hinged dash panel with dome light behind? It's stuff like that that sets Formula apart. There are some really thoughtful and useful things that they do that no one else does!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

both are nice in different ways. Take a ride in both and go from there
Old 10-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Registered

A long hard look, some time crawling around in the nooks and crannies and lastly a test drive and you'll buy what you like. If you're married, drag the wife along too. Chances are you'll have her longer than the boat, so let her think she's influincing your decision.

Either way, you end up with a boat you'll be proud of and enjoy.

If you're buying new, you may want to consider the dealers location and reputation. But then again, there's plenty of guys on these forums that frequently haul there boats across country for service, maintainece, paint work and bling installation.

If you're seriously looking, you're in a great byers market right now!

Happy shopping and we'll need photos soon. Winters rapidly approaching and we'll be feeding on each other if someone doesn't keep it fresh with new boats.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member

are the fairings available anymore
Old 10-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns29scarab
are the fairings available anymore
no.

I'd like to get my hands on one too. I'd like to know who the vendor was. A run of 5 or 10 WOULD sell I bet!

The fairing COMPLETELY changes the character of the boat. The 382's, and in particular the 353 because of it's lines, look bad-azz with the fairing!

I still have the HotBoat reprint of the 98 infrared raceboat/poker run 353 with fairing, the boat looks t o u g h.

Mine with the red, 2 blues and black "Formula Racing" paint would really respond asthetically!

I'd have to get used to bugs in my teeth again though.
Just like when I had my '93 26' Thoroughbred/Velocity with no w/s. I loved the visibility and connection with the water ahead visually...but I was younger then.

maybe "acrylico" here on the board could bend us up one out of 3/8" white plexi?? The side panels would be easy to make as they are staight and flat....it's the front that's labor intensive to mock-up for production bending. The existing Taylor bottom channel/rubber could be used, we'd just need to fashion a white painted or PC'd "joiner strip" to the side panels (easy enough). Some screws through the bottom channel from the outside into the plexi would secure it. You couldn't go from the inside without taking the mounting channel off the boat which I would like to avoid if at all possible!

Last edited by Rippem; 10-15-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Who Me?
Platinum Member

The windsheild makes the Formula look even more like a gentlmans performance boat. the fairing on this boat is a MUST.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered

My Boats: '99 Formula 382 Poker Run Special/'05 Formula 260 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike
The windsheild makes the Formula look even more like a gentlmans performance boat. the fairing on this boat is a MUST.

Fever Mike,

Are you calling me a gentleman?
Attached Thumbnails
Fountain vs Formula-poker-run-001.jpg  
Old 10-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Who Me?
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDog382
Fever Mike,

Are you calling me a gentleman?
Uh...Yeah....sure I am! Hey nice picture!