Notices

Sunk 51 OL

Old 11-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Sunk 51 OL

I had the chance to meet Mike at Smoke on the Water. We had broken a trans in the boat, the Nashville Catz, so I put in our spare and broke it 10 minutes later. I only carried one spare, so we were done, the day before the run. Mike came over and said he had a trans on the truck and sold it to me at his cost. Not only that, he had 3 of his guys help clean out the cooler and put the trans in the boat. The trans is hard to get to in the back of a Nortech, and we didn't have a hoist, so this gorilla that works for Mike held the trans with a rope around his neck while I bolted it in place. All of this, and we didn't even own an Outerlimits. Needless to say, I was impressed. Those guys have all of my respect. Once again, thank you Mike and everyone else that helped. By the way, we broke that trans at the start of the run the next morning. Only made it about 2 miles out of the no wake zone. Eddie
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I had the chance to meet Mike at Smoke on the Water. We had broken a trans in the boat, the Nashville Catz, so I put in our spare and broke it 10 minutes later. I only carried one spare, so we were done, the day before the run. Mike came over and said he had a trans on the truck and sold it to me at his cost. Not only that, he had 3 of his guys help clean out the cooler and put the trans in the boat. The trans is hard to get to in the back of a Nortech, and we didn't have a hoist, so this gorilla that works for Mike held the trans with a rope around his neck while I bolted it in place. All of this, and we didn't even own an Outerlimits. Needless to say, I was impressed. Those guys have all of my respect. Once again, thank you Mike and everyone else that helped. By the way, we broke that trans at the start of the run the next morning. Only made it about 2 miles out of the no wake zone. Eddie

I think its time to go to bigger tranny's.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Registered

They were dry sump Super-Cyborg Bams- good for 1500hp. The problem was that the first one broke in reverse trying to get the boat off of the trailer. The ramp wasn't long enough for the tilt trailer, and the trans is not very strong is reverse, with only 2 clutch plates. I didn't have a spare cooler, so we cleaned it the best we could. It obviously wasn't good enough. When we got back to the shop, I got a new trans and cooler and that fixed it. After thinking about it, I wouldn't re-use an oil cooler in a motor, if the motor had broken. I did what I could with what I had.
We flushed that cooler in a parts washer, ran 3 cans of brake cleaner through it, and 2 quarts of trans fluid before installing it. Still wasn't good enough. So if anyone out there breaks a trans, do yourself a favor and change the cooler. It's cheap insurance.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Registered

They were dry sump Super-Cyborg Bams- good for 1500hp. The problem was that the first one broke in reverse trying to get the boat off of the trailer. The ramp wasn't long enough for the tilt trailer, and the trans is not very strong is reverse, with only 2 clutch plates. I didn't have a spare cooler, so we cleaned it the best we could. It obviously wasn't good enough. When we got back to the shop, I got a new trans and cooler and that fixed it. After thinking about it, I wouldn't re-use an oil cooler in a motor, if the motor had broken. I did what I could with what I had.
We flushed that cooler in a parts washer, ran 3 cans of brake cleaner through it, and 2 quarts of trans fluid before installing it. Still wasn't good enough. So if anyone out there breaks a trans, do yourself a favor and change the cooler. It's cheap insurance.

Ouch that hadda hurt. Don't ya hate it when you know better but you do it anyway.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
I told you to stay out of the Bayliner booth!
But they had hot girls!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
Ouch that hadda hurt. Don't ya hate it when you know better but you do it anyway.
It was an EXPENSIVE lesson!!!
I hate learning things the hard way!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Registered

This year at the LOTO shootout, that same boat (I believe) was taking on water while parked at Shooters 21. I remember standing there watching the guys semi-frantically running around to find the leak. Wild is my witness. At least it was a 51 OL w/ triple 1075's that looked just like this boat
Old 11-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered

I'd like to see the preformce figures on this boat. It's gotta be wicked quick.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't want to comment on this thread for a few reasons, I personally find it very hard to speak out of turn on the events that transpired of the 51 OL and what had happened on being someone else's misfortune. What I will say, is, what happened in the above statement is not offened mentioned. Not only were they there to help the OL crew, but went out of their way to help Nortech or any other manufactures states one thing to me . CLASS ACT. The camaraderie, the professionalism not only to offer parts but get right in there and lend a helping hand is to me what makes this sport so great. Excellent job...OL Jeff
Old 11-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jassman
I didn't want to comment on this thread for a few reasons, I personally find it very hard to speak out of turn on the events that transpired of the 51 OL and what had happened on being someone else's misfortune. What I will say, is, what happened in the above statement is not offened mentioned. Not only were they there to help the OL crew, but went out of their way to help Nortech or any other manufactures states one thing to me . CLASS ACT. The camaraderie, the professionalism not only to offer parts but get right in there and lend a helping hand is to me what makes this sport so great. Excellent job...OL Jeff
Well said Jazzy Jeff!

Quick Reply: Sunk 51 OL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.