Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Your not going to believe this!! >

Your not going to believe this!!

Notices

Your not going to believe this!!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Your not going to believe this!!

If you lock the ball hitch with a trailer lock, I don't see how it would pop off.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Registered

I didn't have a lock on mine at the time. So your saying that it could have lifted the latching lever enough to come off the ball? I do have to pull forward on the latching lever before being able to lift it up. It has a small catch on it.

I know a pintle hook with elec over hyd. brakes would eliminate this possibility, but don't they rattle and shake you quite a bit?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gino! As long as the boat is running great, who cares about the f*ckin truck....

I have to meet this guy.......

zzie
Old 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Hey Gino! As long as the boat is running great, who cares about the f*ckin truck....

I have to meet this guy.......

zzie

Your exactly right! The truck is only to pull the boat!! The boat is whats important!!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

And BTW here is one for you,,, I was leaving a Dunkin Donuts shop last summer,, a very busy afternoon, and as I was waiting for a break in the traffic to get out on the highway, I see a dodge convertible heading for me,, in reverse,, no one in the car! There is a woman and guy running after the car, I quick look behind me,, can't back up, a line of cars, right behind the boat waiting to also get out on the highway, and no break in front of me,, no where to go,, I know the car is going to hit me,, and I am not sure if it is going to hit the boat, or my BRAND NEW SUV, well I could only stay and wait,, thank god the car hits me square in the door, and doesn't hit the boat,, the car is running and in reverse,, the women got out of the car, thought she shifted up into park, but only went as far as reverse,, and got out of the car,, wouldn't you know,, she had no Insurance,,All I kept saying when the cops got there, was, "thank god the boat didn't get hit" They were amazed I didn't seem to upset about the SUV, and was grateful the boat was OK,,,,
Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9 Lives

I know a pintle hook with elec over hyd. brakes would eliminate this possibility, but don't they rattle and shake you quite a bit?
Not one's that match. I see guys with trailers with little rings hooked to big pintles- those move around. Plus, tongue weight and pulling force keeps up on the slack. On railroad tracks, it will bang a little. Going from pull to decel, it will clunk. So what. It's not going to ever come off.

Also, make sure you use the heaviest setup you can find for your electrical umbilical and move it well away from the hitch. If you do pop off (or if something breaks) you can use your dash brake controller manually to stop the rig. If the disconnect shears the cable or simply unplugs it, you have a problem. If you get good engagemenbt on the trailer brakes you can stop your pull rig in a perfectly straight line. If you have to stop the trailer with the rig the trailer can go left or right to the limit of your safety chains. That's enough to roll a trailer and take the truck with you.

On safety chains- chain is rated by grade. Only use grade 70 or 80 chain. 70 is transport rated- 80 is for overhead lifting. You can also get 100 but it's incredibly expensive and unneccesary. 30 and 43 won't cut it. If your chain is shiny silver and the links are unmarked, it's only slightly better than a piece of rope. 70 and 80 are almost always flat black coated or irridited (gold-colored) plated. Usually it's marked (stamped) on the side of the link. New 80 is almost always tagged with a certification label- little aluminum plate on a ring. If it's attached with a 3/8" bolt through the side of the trailer rail, it will probably just tear out. Also, never trust the rings on the hitch. Mine goes around the main hitch tube.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Registered

We have to call the style channel and get Gino on a episode of try my life!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Registered

We handle the square link hi security chain, lately I have started using it for safety chain on customers trailers.. Cut long enough, I can wrap it around the hitch "body" or the truck frame and then lock it with a high security lock... Kills 2 birds with one stone...
Old 11-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Scott B
We handle the square link hi security chain, lately I have started using it for safety chain on customers trailers.. Cut long enough, I can wrap it around the hitch "body" or the truck frame and then lock it with a high security lock... Kills 2 birds with one stone...

Is it load rated? The concern I would have is that it might be too tough- i.e. brittle. Plus, square links don't distribute the load like oval one's. It's worth checking out- you probably wouldn't want to incur that kind of liability with a customer's rig.

BTW, Grade 80 is just about impossible to cut with bolt cutters. I have 4' one's and I ruined the inserts on 5/16".
Old 11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Gino ---- Not sure how noticable it was when I saw you at the Cig. booth in Lauderdale, but I was trying to stay as far away from you as possible.... I couldn't imagine what I would do if even 1% of your carma rubbed off on me!!!

Suggestion: Make an offering to the Gods (a reeeeally good one) - quickly!!!!!!!!

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.