Bringing a used boat into Canada

Notices

Bringing a used boat into Canada

Old 11-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing a used boat into Canada

Traded in a 1991 Baja.Sold it to someone in Canada that says he can't get it across the border without a title. Boat was bought new in Ga,a non title state,Al is also a non title state. Original owner never got a title because it is not required in Ga. Original selling dealer can't help, Baja can't help,doubt if I can come up with a title. In evey title state I've sold a used boat in ,they will accept a current non title state registration,which I can supply. Buyer says it won't work in Canada. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Magicfloat; 11-08-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:57 AM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Bringing a used boat into Canada

I just have a bill of sale when I cross.......... never had an issue. Most recently as last Feb unless something has changed. You pay the tax on the spot, and they give you your new Canadian registration numbers.

RT
Old 11-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Buyer says it won't work in Canada. Any thoughts?
All Canada customs needs is a bill of sale and some form of current registration; plates expired on trailer, need a temp trip permit. I've imported cars without title on both sides of the border. He will also need a RECALL CLEARANCE letter from the trailer manufactuer and it must be on their letter head if its over 15 years old! Maybe a real hassle without this letter saying that no outstanding recalls exist.

More important U.S Customs must be notified 72 hours in advance that the trailer is leaving the country (not sure about boats).

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/expor...or_vehicle.xml

The export documents from U.S Customs will verify that the boat and trailer are not stolen; hence why Canada will allow me to import cars without title (U.S does all the checking). Some Province's also have rules of what can and not enter their province to drive on their roads, so you might want to check on that with regards to the trailer before hand as well......

Last edited by Zudnic; 11-08-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Registered

I imported my current boat from the US to Canada and I had to have a title to prove that the boat was not stolen and that the seller did own the boat. I was distinctly told that a bill of sale will not suffice, there must be some proof of title/ownership for both the boat and trailer. He also needs two receipts, one for the boat motor and one for the trailer as he will go through two different gov't agencies to get them licensed. He will pay taxes on the boat motor at the border and taxes on the trailer when he licenses it.

The buyer needs to be very specific when asking the customs people the question. I find that if you are not detailed in your question, you will get the standard answer.

I imported this boat 3 years ago, so the rules may have changed.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bam Bam

I imported this boat 3 years ago, so the rules may have changed.
The change I believe is reporting the export to U.S Customs that I had to do recently with my new to me Porsche. U.S Customs stamps that the vehicle is legal to be exported by the person doing the export, hence why Canada customs will let you import without a title......... I'll verify this with Canada Customs latter today, cousin's high up with both U.S & Canadian sides of the border..............
Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Registered

Found this website with some good information about importing boats into Canada

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html
Old 11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As funny as it sounds, if possiable try a different boarder entry, I bring in a lot of Cars into Canada from both the US and overseas, and it really depends on who you strike at the office.

Apart from that Zudnic is right on the money.

James
Old 11-08-2006, 03:12 PM
cloke

Call Raymond at RR Performance on his cell

1 705 321 8783

He brings as many used boats to Canada as anyone

Always very helpful
Tell him Alec sent you

Old 11-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

call me, I will try to help, I go up there and can point you in the right direction
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Waterboy123
As funny as it sounds, if possiable try a different boarder entry, I bring in a lot of Cars into Canada from both the US and overseas, and it really depends on who you strike at the office.

Apart from that Zudnic is right on the money.

James

It helps that I have a cousin at the Blaine truck crossing on the U.S side and another one on the Canadian side at Sumas!

The biggest pain is some agents get it in their head you need something and you don't, its their individual call. I.E was told I could bring in peaches with no problem's. The beach I got when crossing said nope; she would have been right if I was crossing near Kelowna a tree fruit quarantine area! She refused my small bag of peaches, argueing just gives them the moral high ground too say nope...... Hence why which crossing also makes a dif.

Both my cousins said because of the 72 hour U.S Customs doing a semi-background check on the exiting vehicle you should be fine. On cars (trailers as well) over 15 years you must have the RECALL from the OEM or they will not let it in!!!!!!! It's the only must document. It to comply with a fed highway safety law.........Canada customs enforces both provincial and federal law, even though they do not yet have full law enforcement powers......

I've lost count on how many cars I've done going both ways.......

Quick Reply: Bringing a used boat into Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.