Notices

Loto snow damage.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Loto snow damage.

Originally Posted by Rippem
wonder what kind of wall thickness? 'Cause it looks like they folded much like the sheetmetal!
mine are 1/4".... the main problem is lateral bracing, nobody does it because it doesn't look very good.... they get loaded up with snow and then the wind blows, they start folding up...

some of those cruisers roofs are 16-18 feet high with minimal bracing...

they are two different problems going on in some of the pics... the first is the docks that are sinking, usually have the older non-encapsulated foam or not enough floats... the second problem is the taller roofs with no bracing, a few X braces would go along way on some of those roofs..
Old 12-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea-Dated
We got the same storm in Northeast Oklahoma before it headed to LOTO. 2-3" of sleet followed by 8-12" of snow. Does anyone know if there was any damage on Grand Lake?
None around Grove that I've seen or heard of. We got about 1 1/2" of sleet with maybe 4 inches of real light snow and the wind blew enough the the snow accumulation was not consistent on any roofs.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
the second problem is the taller roofs with no bracing, a few X braces would go along way on some of those roofs..
Great point. Ours is 22 feet at the peak. There is a set of horizontal braces at around 12 and 16 feet, and those are connected with L brackets connecting them in an X pattern. They are high enough up that they are not unsightly.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 12-02-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Re: Loto snow damage.

Why Doesn't Anyone Take There Boat Out For The Winter? Doesn't The Water Freeze At Some Point.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWOUTBOARD
Why Doesn't Anyone Take There Boat Out For The Winter? Doesn't The Water Freeze At Some Point.
Not down here. We hardly ever even see ice form on the surface. Let alone the whole lake freezing.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry to see and hear that guys good luck
Old 12-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are tons of boats left in all winter here. The hull is supported better in the water than on blocks. But then a damaged boat is of no good. Roll the dice. Many of them have never been out of water since launch. A couple are 60's era.
The marina air bubbles and use Ice Eaters to keep the water from freezing.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-01-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard how the condo complexes are holding up? I can't get any definitive answers. How hard is it to get up on the roofs and shovel the snow? My boat is sitting in a slip at the 2 mile marker (Monarch Cove)
Old 12-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, OUCH! I hope everyone fairs out ok.. That dammage really sux! As if anyone needs needs something else to worry about now, especially with the holidays coming up soon..
Old 12-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wednesday it was over 70 degrees. It started raining late wednesday night and kept raining until thursday afternoon. The temp had dropped to 35 degrees at 2pm on thursday and freezing rain began. Freezing rain continued until early Friday morning and then began snowing. All this with 20 to mph winds. I had two inches of solid ice on the driveway and the driveway has an incline. Plus, 6 inches of snow.

A friends buiding collapsed. The roof just caved in. There are trees and powerlines down everywhere and some people are still without power. Don't tell me that the docks weren't built the right way. The oak tree in my front yard is laying over and I'm sure it wasn't built right either. Yeah. Sure.

Quick Reply: Loto snow damage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.