Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption? >

Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

Notices

Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

Old 12-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

I put a SPST toggle in the 12 volt to the head to reset the totalizer. If I remember 12V has to be interupted for about 5 seconds to reset it to zero.

The video is idea is cool. I only had to call them once during my install, as I felt the instructions were pretty straightforward.

EFI's are harder to get the kind of tight cal I had on my carb motors because of the pulses in the fuel system as the secondary pump pressurizes the fuel rail on and off.

how close were you able to get?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:25 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Re: Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

I have a reasonably important question, has FloScan upped the amount of fuel they will flow at WOT??? I admit it has been a few years since I installed these on several of my clients boat, we had two V6 OB's burn pistons. We suspected the FloScans and installed vacuum gauges on two other boats and found the FC's restricted flow well above the allowable vacuum margins. I do think they are a great unit but far better suited to those that cruise! But am more then glad to be corrected!

Phil
Old 12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Registered

I have never heard that. How did you conduct your "test" and what other variables were in the system? if the sensor body is no smaller than the smallest dia. in the fuel line and the aircraft quality rotor spins so freely within that is causes no restriction...I don't buy it. "Restricted flow well above acceptable margins" sounds like there was more going on there. Even a jammed rotor does not restrict fuel flow. As the rotor does not consume the volume of the sensor body, it is simply "in stream" and sampling.
There have been plenty of 1000 HP boat engines with them inline since the early nineties. Ask Cigarette who has installed them as an option for years. I believe they were making 100 GPH capable sensors 15 years ago for consumer use. I'm sure that the industrial side makes units cabable well beyond that! Ask Boeing?

Best thing to do is call them. I found them to be quite approachable and helpful on the phone. Ask directly for tech. dept. and run your experience by them. I'd be interested in what they had to say.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:24 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the smartcraft computers do this also?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Registered

I believe Smartcraft measures (times/computes volume) at the injectors.

or rather from feedback to the computer from the injectors.

most accurate.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rippem, what HP are you running? I installed the Navman system on my Stryker (twin 502efi's), but disconnected the senders 'cause I got scared of flow problems. Have you had any issues with yours other than the cal problems?

Jim
Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Do the smartcraft computers do this also?

Yes- I have them on my 525 EFI's and they tell GPH and total gallons burned - Makes it great to know how fuel is really there when the fuel gauge is ready 1/4 tank...
Old 12-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bglz42
Rippem, what HP are you running? Have you had any issues with yours other than the cal problems?

Jim
425's and no problems. I just have to put the cal back in when I fill up. I called tech about this and got a convoluted, non definitive answer. I'm still working on that in the boat. They are the same sender Standard Horizon uses I know that.

It's accurate for burn at all RPM and close on total (as it would be calibrated) as long as I put the cal in.

After the two experiences, I would buy FloScan no question. I figured for the $150 I'd give it a try cause I really like the Plotter itself, and the range/economy over water/ground/distance to empty ect. you get when fuel flow is tied in is pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?-dash.jpg  
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

It's good to read all this! But can someone answer my basic question ? I still don't know what model to choose from ! What are you using ?

Series 5500 / 5600 / 5800 ?
Series 7000 / 7500 / 7600 ?
Series 9000 / 9500 / 9600 ???

Thanks again for your help!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Registered

choose the series (5000/7000/9000) with the features and finish you want and the appropriate GPH capacity for your application!

Nobody knows better than you!

I had a 5500 Cruisemaster twin 50GPH kit.

Quick Reply: Anyone using FloScan to measure fuel consumption?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.