Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
For the Big Cat People here... >

For the Big Cat People here...

Notices

For the Big Cat People here...

Old 01-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Bruce

Offshore Roller, are you wanting information concerning pleasure use or race use? How about listing some cats your thinking of and V's to compare, then maybe we can help.

Old 01-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doug,

Please don't be defensive because i am not trying to do anything except 1) respond to the question, and 2) point out that even in pleasure use, it can't be too strong. One will always make a mistake, and good handling, well built boats are worth what you pay.

The reason we have water coming over sponsons is that in 4 footers when you turn you get wet. Bigger waves, worse.

There are so many variables - i tried to point out a few - that it gets pointless to make comparisons unless you approach it very carefully. Generalizations, are almost always wrong.

Setup, we are fine; my driving ??? i'm sure Michael (throttles) would agree with you often!

Good luck in Point Pleasent. Brutal water many years. If you're running in the Chesapeake in 4 footers and turning a lot, that's great practice.

Ted
Old 01-24-2002, 06:57 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
There is some classic footage of the twin naturally aspirated engined 40' Skater "Spirit of Norway" racing the 46' triple supercharged engined Apache "Tweets Revenge" in storm seas in Ocean City, Maryland. Both boats were well set up and throttled. The Vee had twice the horsepower. The course was oval with relatively tight turns and ran into , with and across legitimate 4 foot seas ( 8 foot from crest to trough....never seen in Chesapeake Bay except from Aircraft Carrier wakes)with an occasional 5 footer for jollys. The Cat got the best of the race, but it was close.

Conclusion a (good)cat is approximately as good as a vee that is 15-30% larger in rough water..as long as the vee has a lot more power...With even power leave the vee at the marina. By the way 30 foot Shadows ran with 36 Cigarettes in all seas, with more speed ...... That's why Willie Diaz never ran his equally powered Cigarette again after his first race in a Shadow. That's also why Cat's and Vee's aren't allowed to race against each other even up.... right up to today. How do you think a good F-3 Cat would fair in F-2.... eh? No contest!

T2x
Old 01-24-2002, 07:34 PM
Registered

Capt. Ted,
I took your reply the wrong way. My mistake...When it said forget Skaters run with us at a 100 it was a call from a Vee Hull. SORRY I still will run with you in any water for fun.4-12's
Doug eMotion Racing
Turning in big water is the way to practice, anyone can fly in a straight line. You KNOW

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: eMotiondriver ]
Old 01-24-2002, 07:45 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Cats and V's
Apples and Oranges
Harleys and Rice Bikes

Old 01-24-2002, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It all Depends on the Designer/Builder there have been some pretty Dam good Rough Water "Cats" Built in the past.

A 110-115 MPH Across 6' Seas in a Well Designed 40 Foot Catamaran Would not be much of a chore at all.

Best Regards
Old 01-25-2002, 01:18 AM
Cat & Mice

Guy's have any of you heard or seen the new 40ft cat from Eliminator?? I saw the plug and I could have walked thru the sponsens and not been able to see over them (Boat was upside down) and I am tall. From what I have heard they are making this thing to be a Offshore fishing boat I don't know much more about it but I would have to say from the looks I think it is going to handle big water pretty well.

Pyle

Old 01-25-2002, 08:13 AM
Speedmaster

Our 42' race boat loves rough stuff..Flew it bigtime at Daytona in 8'-10' very confused waves, boat lands like your on a pillow...In 4-6's you dont even know they are there unless you were to stop and get out and look ...

Old 01-25-2002, 08:28 AM
Registered

T2x,
Any idea where I can get a video of that old footage ?
Old 01-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Registered

Capt. Ted,
I was wondering how long did it take you to get out of the boat when it flipped? And why did it flip? I'm tring to learn form others mistakes. Ryan you could help me out also.
Thanks in advance,
Doug
eMotion Racing

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: eMotiondriver ]