Like Tree0Likes

Verado 300 and 325HP to debut in Miami

Reply
Old 02-17-2007, 10:58 AM
  #51
Registered
 
Rocco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mays Landing NJ
My Boats: 2000 25' Concept w/ 250 Mercury
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike View Post
Most any auto parts store will recycle your oil for free. The boat has to be out of the water to drain the oil just like changing the oil on a bravo outdrive.

Also you do not have to use the Mercury oil. Most all the SKA guys with Verado's are using Mobil 1 which is less than the Merc stuff.

Part of the what makes the Verado's good is the whole package as a system. The throttles and steering are car like, easy to use and work, no cable to worry about and very very reliable.
So if you have a triple engine Verado powered CC. You will have ( 7quarts/engine X 3 egines = 21 quarts or 5.25 gal. of waste oil ) to drop off a your local auto parts store along with 3 filters. If your boat is racked stored (maybe the 2nd or 3rd level) you will have to make arrangments to put in a service staging area. How about if you have a lift on the water. Is it possiabe to service the oil drain without spilling any in the water ??? If you can not access, I guess you spend a half of a day, loading the boat on a trailer ($possiable ramp fee) changing the oil and unloading back on the water. I don't know about the marinas around you but most marinas in the summer, let alone on the weekends are very busy.

Your right it sounds much easier !
I do not have to make any special arrangements to pour oil in my VRO tank !
Rocco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:09 AM
  #52
Registered
 
BBB725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wi/ Fl Keys
My Boats: 39 Nortech CC
Posts: 3,220
Default

First off I like two strokes less moving parts, less to go wrong. Fever Mike said he changes oil every 200 hours that almost a whole boating season in Wisconsin. Both the 2 and 4 stroke outboards have strength and weaknesses.
BBB725 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
  #53
Registered
 
Rocco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mays Landing NJ
My Boats: 2000 25' Concept w/ 250 Mercury
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
First off I like two strokes less moving parts, less to go wrong. Fever Mike said he changes oil every 200 hours that almost a whole boating season in Wisconsin. Both the 2 and 4 stroke outboards have strength and weaknesses.
You are right, but most of these large CC are in southern states,with longer boating seasons.
I also thought the service time was 100 hrs ? Didn't someone state that earlier in the post ?
I think the Verado's are good engines (any 4 stroke), but they have some down side too.

Last edited by Rocco; 02-17-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Rocco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:56 PM
  #54
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
J-Bonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH / Pewaukee, WI
My Boats: 38 TopGun & 21 Apache Scout
Posts: 4,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeverMike View Post
Part of the what makes the Verado's good is the whole package as a system. The throttles and steering are car like, easy to use and work, no cable to worry about and very very reliable.
I agree with you on that.................
Jr.
J-Bonz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:21 PM
  #55
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
bowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 665
Default

So if you have a 4 stroke you have to pay to dispose of your used oil, but with a 2 stroke you just release it into the water?
I think 100 bucks is high for an oil change, my Ford dealer only charges 89.00 to change the oil in my diesel super duty and it holds about 15 qts. They use Ford oil and they're not known to be cheap on their service. But then again I charge an hour labor to change oil in a boat plus materials, so thats well over 100.00 for a little 3.0L Mercruiser.
bowtie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:05 PM
  #56
Registered
 
Rocco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mays Landing NJ
My Boats: 2000 25' Concept w/ 250 Mercury
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie View Post
So if you have a 4 stroke you have to pay to dispose of your used oil, but with a 2 stroke you just release it into the water?
I think 100 bucks is high for an oil change, my Ford dealer only charges 89.00 to change the oil in my diesel super duty and it holds about 15 qts. They use Ford oil and they're not known to be cheap on their service. But then again I charge an hour labor to change oil in a boat plus materials, so thats well over 100.00 for a little 3.0L Mercruiser.
The Merc. 2 stroke Optis and Bombardiar E-Tecs have equal or better emissions. I agree the older 2 strokes exhausted alot of unburned oil into the water but the new or latest tech. 2 strokes are pretty clean and weigh alot less. Like I said before I think it's great Merc. Yamaha and even Bomb. are starting to push the envelope on outboard horsepower!!
All of us performance center console outboard guys benefit. I never thought I would see V8 outboards again
Just look at the warranties these mfg.s are offering !
Bombardiar is offering 7 years !!!!!!

Last edited by Rocco; 02-17-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Rocco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:10 PM
  #57
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: houston tx
Posts: 935
Default

Is there a 325hp ? What about a speedmaster lower ?
yahoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
  #58
instigator
Platinum Member
 
BUIZILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Miami, Fla
My Boats: 1980 Donzi Criterion 22
Posts: 1,420
Default

the Whaler at the In Water Show on the far north pier had 300's on it, or at least new style 300 cowling's with the chrome strips....
BUIZILLA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 PM
  #59
Registered
 
Scott B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Slightly North of Cuba
My Boats: Donzi Criterion SS, X-18 , 16 OB, Z-235, F-14, Magnum Missile
Posts: 2,914
Default

No 325's, and the Whaler also has 275's.. 325's will come from Merc racing somteime this summer...
Scott B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:35 PM
  #60
Who Me?
Platinum Member
 
FeverMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Tampa
My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain
Posts: 6,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
So if you have a triple engine Verado powered CC. You will have ( 7quarts/engine X 3 egines = 21 quarts or 5.25 gal. of waste oil ) to drop off a your local auto parts store along with 3 filters. If your boat is racked stored (maybe the 2nd or 3rd level) you will have to make arrangments to put in a service staging area. How about if you have a lift on the water. Is it possiabe to service the oil drain without spilling any in the water ??? If you can not access, I guess you spend a half of a day, loading the boat on a trailer ($possiable ramp fee) changing the oil and unloading back on the water. I don't know about the marinas around you but most marinas in the summer, let alone on the weekends are very busy.

Your right it sounds much easier !
I do not have to make any special arrangements to pour oil in my VRO tank !
I see your point and knew all of this going into my Verado selection. I do not change my own oil...I take right to the service center at the marina. Those days are way over for me! 2 strokes and 4 strokes have there good and bad points. the Verado's were the correct choice for me and seem to be for most customers with the boat model I have.
FeverMike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DeepV
General Boating Discussion
102
06-24-2011 02:16 PM
activatorf1
Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
7
09-08-2008 02:08 AM
boating37
General Boating Discussion
4
01-17-2008 09:32 PM
u972442
General Q & A
8
07-24-2007 12:22 AM
fantastixvoyage
General Boating Discussion
3
02-22-2005 04:38 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.