Like Tree0Likes

600sci experience?

Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 AM
  #81
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Dean Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Merritt Is. Fl. USA
My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
Posts: 6,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalpause View Post
There use to be a lot of 525 XR black thunders running LOTO, and they usually scheduled rebuilds every 2 seasons, and hoped they would make it to the rebuild.
BTs are BIG Boats for XR's to be pushing. How much did your F4 weigh?
Thanks
Dean
__________________
Everything is for sale @ a certain $$
Dean Ferry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM
  #82
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ferry View Post
BTs are BIG Boats for XR's to be pushing. How much did your F4 weigh?
Thanks
Dean
12K dry. Probably more like 14K with fuel, etc. I believe that kind of mass is what kills the XRs.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
  #83
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Dean Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Merritt Is. Fl. USA
My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
Posts: 6,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalpause View Post
12K dry. Probably more like 14K with fuel, etc. I believe that kind of mass is what kills the XRs.
John,
I'm hoping 8500 lbs will let the XR's live a little longer.....
__________________
Everything is for sale @ a certain $$
Dean Ferry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 PM
  #84
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ferry View Post
John,
I'm hoping 8500 lbs will let the XR's live a little longer.....
I don't think you will have an issue at that weight.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 AM
  #85
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Dean Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Merritt Is. Fl. USA
My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
Posts: 6,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalpause View Post
I don't think you will have an issue at that weight.
Yeah, I hope that is the case. BTW, what engine oil , gear lube, and spark plugs does everyone run in their 600's?
Thanks,
Dean
__________________
Everything is for sale @ a certain $$
Dean Ferry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM
  #86
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UT
My Boats: 2010 Nordic 28 Heat 600sci Whipple Stage II Upgrade
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ferry View Post
Yeah, I hope that is the case. BTW, what engine oil , gear lube, and spark plugs does everyone run in their 600's?
Thanks,
Dean
I run the Kendell 20-50 that Merc recommends. Merc. hi perf. gear lube and planning on using NGK spark plugs like the ones that are in it form the factory. I ran Kendell 40w and Merc. Hp gear lube in my old Nordic Heat (865hp) for 12 years and never had any problems at all, engine has 400 hrs. on it and still go strong, a friend of mine has it now.
sport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
  #87
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Dean Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Merritt Is. Fl. USA
My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
Posts: 6,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport View Post
I run the Kendell 20-50 that Merc recommends. Merc. hi perf. gear lube and planning on using NGK spark plugs like the ones that are in it form the factory. I ran Kendell 40w and Merc. Hp gear lube in my old Nordic Heat (865hp) for 12 years and never had any problems at all, engine has 400 hrs. on it and still go strong, a friend of mine has it now.
Sport,
Thanks for the good info. That's an impressive track record for your 1st heat.
Dean
__________________
Everything is for sale @ a certain $$
Dean Ferry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  #88
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 150
Default

I run Amsoil Severe Gear in the XR. I run Mobil 1 15-50 in the Motor. I believe in using synthetic technology when it is available in severe environments. Are you getting the 600's? If you do, call whipple and get the upgrades! You won't be sorry! I had my boat out last weekend and she was running strong at 96 mph in 100 degree temps. Mid range pull is great as is holeshot. I change fluids every 25 hours. I run stock spark plugs and 91 octane. Sometimes 93 octane is available and I put that in periodically. I think with any motor with that much torque you can easily grenade an outdrive. That is why I am dilligent about changing fluids and I have my drive inspected annually. Any sign of metal chunks and I would tear it down hopefully before it grenades. If given the choice I would prefer the NXT drive and the 700 motor boosted to 850 hp by Whipple. I think the drive is much more durable than the XR.
relaxalot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 AM
  #89
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Dean Ferry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Merritt Is. Fl. USA
My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
Posts: 6,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxalot View Post
I run Amsoil Severe Gear in the XR. I run Mobil 1 15-50 in the Motor. I believe in using synthetic technology when it is available in severe environments. Are you getting the 600's? If you do, call whipple and get the upgrades! You won't be sorry! I had my boat out last weekend and she was running strong at 96 mph in 100 degree temps. Mid range pull is great as is holeshot. I change fluids every 25 hours. I run stock spark plugs and 91 octane. Sometimes 93 octane is available and I put that in periodically. I think with any motor with that much torque you can easily grenade an outdrive. That is why I am dilligent about changing fluids and I have my drive inspected annually. Any sign of metal chunks and I would tear it down hopefully before it grenades. If given the choice I would prefer the NXT drive and the 700 motor boosted to 850 hp by Whipple. I think the drive is much more durable than the XR.
R,
I agree on the syn. usage, it's just with these engines, (59 total Hrs) I kinda want to go by the Merc. lube recommendations, at this point. Do you happend to know the NGK P/N?
Thanks,
Dean
__________________
Everything is for sale @ a certain $$
Dean Ferry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM
  #90
Chris
Gold Member
 
CB-BLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Snohomish, WA
My Boats: 2009 Nordic Heat - 600sci - Whipple Stage X - SCX drive
Posts: 1,426
Default

NGK R-5671A-9 (stock) Pn# 5238

NGK R-5671A-8 (one step hotter) Pn# 4554

I run Amsoil Dominator 15/50 in the motor...and Amsoil Marine Severe Gear in the drive.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 06-09-2011 at 11:16 AM.
CB-BLR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Whipple Charged
General Boating Discussion
63
03-05-2009 08:22 PM
Wild Card 09
Baja
40
08-08-2008 10:41 PM
gto4evr
General Q & A
8
12-06-2006 08:49 PM
tblrklakemo
Baja
8
08-29-2006 09:41 PM
Back4More
General Q & A
4
05-09-2005 04:46 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.