Like Tree0Likes

New boater

Reply
Old 02-21-2007, 11:27 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario,Canada
My Boats: 95 Top Gun
Posts: 705
Default

Congrats on the new boat . Maybe we will see you this summer . I will be keeping my TG in Toronto for most of the summer .
1bagger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:57 AM
  #12
Registered
 
hammer01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NORTHERN ILLINOIS
My Boats: SOLD!!!
Posts: 1,008
Default

Congrats on the boat purchase and welcome to the board. Lots of great info here. When it comes to safety and comfort in driving your boat, it was said best above that it takes seat time to figure out how the boat reacts to different water/trim/speeds/etc. Take a couple of days and a few tanks of gas to learn how you can expect the boat to react and just stay in your comfort zone. My philosophy is to leave the real racing to the guys with racing harnesses and oxygen tanks, not a good way to spend a weekend with the wife and kids. Good luck and be safe. By the way, you just opened up a big pit you never knew you had to throw a lot of money into, but dang it is fun. Hammer
hammer01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ft Myers, Fl
My Boats: Velocity 30'
Posts: 188
Default

Rooster...what size Velocity and what power?
AGGRAVATION28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
  #14
Registered
 
StillHaulin@63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
My Boats: 2000 Baja 232 Boss
Posts: 361
Default

Good Luck ..... and welcome!

The only thing more important than how fast your boat runs
is being alive and well to brag about it when your back on shore
StillHaulin@63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:11 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Sutphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oakville,ON
My Boats: 26 Sutphen
Posts: 1,045
Default

rooster,
My boat will be on Lake Nipissing most of the summer, but may keep it at Port Credit or Bronte for a few weekends if there are things going on. Sharkey's is no more, instead we have million dollar condos. Just not fair, I misspent my youth there.
Sutphil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 PM
  #16
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
My Boats: 87 Regal Velocity - 23.5'
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKerns View Post
I would recommend that you place a post in the Velocity section. You should be able to get some good input from there.
Good Luck!
Thanks for the direction. Will do.
rooster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM
  #17
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
My Boats: 87 Regal Velocity - 23.5'
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Good Luck ..... and welcome!

The only thing more important than how fast your boat runs
is being alive and well to brag about it when your back on shore

Agreed :-)
rooster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
  #18
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
My Boats: 87 Regal Velocity - 23.5'
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer01 View Post
Congrats on the boat purchase and welcome to the board. Lots of great info here. When it comes to safety and comfort in driving your boat, it was said best above that it takes seat time to figure out how the boat reacts to different water/trim/speeds/etc. Take a couple of days and a few tanks of gas to learn how you can expect the boat to react and just stay in your comfort zone. My philosophy is to leave the real racing to the guys with racing harnesses and oxygen tanks, not a good way to spend a weekend with the wife and kids. Good luck and be safe. By the way, you just opened up a big pit you never knew you had to throw a lot of money into, but dang it is fun. Hammer

Indeed. This one will hurt the budget for sure . . . of course what I don't spend on the boat the girlfriend is gonna spend anyway :-) I am going to research the cost of a paint job or Decals this week (whatever is cheapest). I have a lot to learn yet!
rooster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:03 PM
  #19
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
My Boats: 87 Regal Velocity - 23.5'
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thong Fellow View Post
Get out in open water and drop the hammer keep her sraight,trim her up till you feal her get up on the pad she should stay rock solid and fast on that pad. When you turn just trim her in all the way pull back on the stick a touch and turn her left or right and she should dig in as if she was on rails. Straighten up drop the hammer again trim her out and repeat.

Remember Velocitys are a drivers boat the more seat time you have the easyer she will be to drive.

Good luck and if you need anything drop a line on the Velocity Thread and let use know. Or give me a pm.

Brian TF Surguy
I can almost imagine being in the boat by your description, thx. With yours and everyones replies, I am started to get very excited about this summer! Too bad it was another 3 months away for us Canucks!
rooster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:24 PM
  #20
Registered
 
Sutphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oakville,ON
My Boats: 26 Sutphen
Posts: 1,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
I am going to research the cost of a paint job or Decals this week (whatever is cheapest). I have a lot to learn yet!
GeoGraphics is here on OSO and located in Burlington (I think) try him for ideas on paint/graphics.
Sutphil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
keachman
Drives and Lower Units
2
12-20-2007 07:16 PM
BY U BOY
General Boating Discussion
18
01-05-2007 11:48 AM
Formula34
General Boating Discussion
6
07-14-2005 11:29 PM
gslinger
General Q & A
6
01-30-2002 09:48 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.