Like Tree0Likes

NXT Drive Problems ?

Reply
Old 02-21-2007, 02:49 PM
  #21
Registered
 
sakoutis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colts Neck,NJ
My Boats: 2002 Outer Limits 51'
Posts: 2,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Well, it wasn't Cig or Fountain. And,...that,s all I have to say about that.
Bayliner??
sakoutis3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 PM
  #22
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty View Post
This is not going to happen when consumers care only about the top speed number however unrealistic it is. NK
Sure it will. Lot's of folks care about reliability and handling over a couple MPH. Most of the ones that object to that are folks that like to talk big on the internet, but don't actually have to maintain these boats!

Last edited by Mentalpause; 02-21-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
  #23
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder View Post
The first challenge, was purely a personal preference, the engines {twins} sounded like a Cummins diesel when coming on plane! and that was with no mufflers thru 4 inch tips. At speed outside of the boat 5900rpm they sounded good but at idle and getting on plane they sucked, The second issue was the powerband, not a real good mid-range hit and if you didnt prop the boat for 5900-6000 rpm instead 5500 or so you lost a lot of top end power, kind of like a 2.5 merc, the 3rd issue was outside temp/heat and power loss, totaly fell on its face when we hit 115 degrees out more-so than a 525 merc, I lost 400rpm and what mid-range hit that I had, 3rd was water pump {raw water} taking forever to draw raw water and eventually failing both pumps, the 4th was trying to sell the piece of ****
Interesting, I was just talking today about building an Ilmor implementation. I still would like to see them develop their own drive. And I still think the company is on the right track, even though they probably still have a lot to learn. They are good for the industry, even though they probably have some more lessons to learn. I wish them well.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 PM
  #24
Registered
 
Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ft.Walton Bch,Fl
My Boats: 26 American offshore
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalpause View Post
Sure it will. Lot's of folks care about reliability and handling over a couple MPH. Most of the ones that object to that are folks that like to talk big on the internet, but don't actually have to maintain these boats!
Please tell us what is really on your mind,,,,Dont hold back.
Coleman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:28 PM
  #25
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Gorton View Post
Please tell us what is really on your mind,,,,Dont hold back.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:25 AM
  #26
Registered
 
2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Socialist Republic of Washington State
My Boats: 04' Gladiator powered by Ford
Posts: 1,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder View Post
The first challenge, was purely a personal preference, the engines {twins} sounded like a Cummins diesel when coming on plane! and that was with no mufflers thru 4 inch tips. At speed outside of the boat 5900rpm they sounded good but at idle and getting on plane they sucked, The second issue was the powerband, not a real good mid-range hit and if you didnt prop the boat for 5900-6000 rpm instead 5500 or so you lost a lot of top end power, kind of like a 2.5 merc, the 3rd issue was outside temp/heat and power loss, totaly fell on its face when we hit 115 degrees out more-so than a 525 merc, I lost 400rpm and what mid-range hit that I had, 3rd was water pump {raw water} taking forever to draw raw water and eventually failing both pumps, the 4th was trying to sell the piece of ****
These are engine issues, hell it is a chrysler, what did you expect.

How were the drives? The NXT is all about the drives....
2112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 AM
  #27
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scottsdale
My Boats: 2009 DCB 35/1075's
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
These are engine issues, hell it is a chrysler, what did you expect.

How were the drives? The NXT is all about the drives....
My drives were fine ask Nascat about his Actually the 700's are important to me because of altitude and temp compensation

Last edited by Bottomfeeder; 02-22-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Bottomfeeder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
  #28
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Lake Norman, N.C.
My Boats: Velocity 41'
Posts: 721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder View Post
The first challenge, was purely a personal preference, the engines {twins} sounded like a Cummins diesel when coming on plane! and that was with no mufflers thru 4 inch tips. At speed outside of the boat 5900rpm they sounded good but at idle and getting on plane they sucked, The second issue was the powerband, not a real good mid-range hit and if you didnt prop the boat for 5900-6000 rpm instead 5500 or so you lost a lot of top end power, kind of like a 2.5 merc, the 3rd issue was outside temp/heat and power loss, totaly fell on its face when we hit 115 degrees out more-so than a 525 merc, I lost 400rpm and what mid-range hit that I had, 3rd was water pump {raw water} taking forever to draw raw water and eventually failing both pumps, the 4th was trying to sell the piece of ****

Interesting on the power loss. I have found that the Imor actually does not lose any power at 100+degrees vs. the Merc. Maybe you had another issue. Did you contact Imor to resolve your problem? At idle I considered it great. Planning was a different sound alltogether though. I found that from ilde to full throttle the powerband to be unreal. It was nearly veritical throughout and also showed this on the dyno sheets.
Just curious, could you have had another problem?
Steet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 AM
  #29
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steet View Post
Interesting on the power loss. I have found that the Imor actually does not lose any power at 100+degrees vs. the Merc. Maybe you had another issue. Did you contact Imor to resolve your problem? At idle I considered it great. Planning was a different sound alltogether though. I found that from ilde to full throttle the powerband to be unreal. It was nearly veritical throughout and also showed this on the dyno sheets.
Just curious, could you have had another problem?
Im trying to find the article in PB mag where they compared the Ilmor 625 vs the Merc 600. Check out the power curve there. Also I remember there was a missprint in the nexts month issue on the mpg. This is the first negative post Ive read on the Ilmors, sounded like a few things went wrong on this earlier application that soured the whole experience. Jeff
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:19 AM
  #30
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
Im trying to find the article in PB mag where they compared the Ilmor 625 vs the Merc 600. Check out the power curve there. Also I remember there was a missprint in the nexts month issue on the mpg. This is the first negative post Ive read on the Ilmors, sounded like a few things went wrong on this earlier application that soured the whole experience. Jeff
I may still have that since I was going back and forth the engine choice question when that came out. I will let you know later and can mail it to you if I find it. But as I recall, there are no power curve numbers in it. There was a MPG misprint in it where it said the 600 was more fuel efficient.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Cigaretteman
General Boating Discussion
11
11-09-2007 10:59 PM
Mike Paula
General Q & A
10
06-19-2006 10:27 PM
Chris288
General Boating Discussion
17
06-11-2004 09:31 PM
dyno
General Boating Discussion
19
08-12-2003 09:37 AM
mjordan
General Q & A
2
07-23-2003 10:35 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.