Notices

powdercoating, anodizing

Old 02-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cord next time you have your intake off send it to caps bright hot coatings in Fresno Ca they do a ceramic process called cermakote and you cant tell it from polished aluminum it is *****en i had my block and pan done also as well as the exhaust ,well worth the effort Mitch
Old 02-11-2002, 08:52 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Now I know!
Old 02-11-2002, 09:35 AM
Registered

My powder coater told me there is a probelem with using 2 stage on aluminum. He said it bubbles. How long ago did you do yours kchotboat? How's it holding up? I love to have the 2 stage on my drives. Let me know.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:25 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Madcow
We did my drive, headers and several other parts three years ago. The intake and other pieces I did about a year ago. My swim plateforms which dana had to anodize twice because the color kept coming off have been powdercoated for three year. A friend of mine owns two powdercoating shops. The only problem with doing a drive is if you added a nose cone.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: KCHOTBOAT ]
Old 02-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I used metal 2 metal filler on my intake manifold and it powder coated just fine. No bubbles or blisters.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
I just purchased 2 new Holley 950HP carbs and I called the Holley's "Custom Shop" and they do all kinds of powder coating colors, gold plating, chrome plating or just about anything you want. I asked them about having just the main body, metering blocks and float bowls powder coated on my carbs. I told them that I personally would take off the throttle bodies/baseplates, throttle linkages and any other part that I didn't want powder coated such as the 4-corner idle mixture screws, float bowl bolts, float screws, etc. Even with doing all of that myself they still wanted $200 per carb!!! I told them I'd rather just "paint" them myself. So I did and it took about 5-6 hours and they came out very nice. I used some zinc chromate self-etching primer and painted both carbs with about 6 coats and they came out pretty well for a guy who doesn't fuss with this stuff very much. I also added in some of Holley's "Adjust A Jet" metering plates and see how they do on the dyno...these are red anodized. The color on my carbs are now a bright Canarie (spelling?)yellow. I painted the throttle bodies/baseplates and linkage all flat black---it looks pretty cool with it all assembled again.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Registered

I've had a few dash plates re-anodized on an old boat of mine and lesson learned if anyone is looking to refinish thiers, get the old anodize coating stuff off, and re-polish them before you send them in. However brilliant they are before the coating, will be an indiaction of how they look when finished.