Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road >

Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road

Notices

Preventing Boat/Trailer/Parts Theft While on the Road

Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Yes, buy a 3' rollup fence, set it up all around your rig and put the dogs in there.
All three sleep comfy in the back of the Excursion. If they dont break out a window they should make enough noise to scare most robbers away!

Take at least one with if I'm driving and will be stopping at rest area's along the freeways. 9 times between Seattle and LA in the last year and a half. Once Buf. NY to SEA that trip almost robbed. Came close in Fresno, CA being robbed as well, dogs again saved the day. Another time at a state park two guy's and a pit bull, they tried sicking their dog on mine, friends polite Alabama accent "not a good idea Bubba" and Mr S&W ended that adventure real quick.

The problem with highways is there's alot of transient types travelling as well. See a guy like me, before Excursion it was a Navigator, nice car, etc, most think easy target rich puzzy!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

When parked overnight Ive always disconnected the boat from the trailer, locked the coupler on the trailer, lock the wheels on the trailer and take my hitch with me and pull the truck ahead a foot or so.

my insurance guy told me by far and away most boats get stolen with the owners own truck........"they get your truck, they got your boat....... trucks are easy to steal" was his words exactly.......

when you disconnect the boat they have to solve the coupler lock, in my case locks........solve the two cable locks on the tires......they will probably think the hitch is simply in the back of the truck but it isnt......so they'll have to go get a hitch or get your truck out of the way and use another truck...... trucks are stolen everyday and are therefore easy to replace, usaually within days......

Get your boat stolen and they want at least 90 days to pay (thats practically a whole boating season gone up here!) and have you told your insur co about all the upgrades youve done to your boat?.......you can really get hosed there.......worry about your boat.

another little trick I stumbled on was my trailer jack went south so I took it off and use a farm jack to lift and a heavy duty jack stand to hold up the tongue......take your farm jack with you too........let them try to lift that by hand!!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
Didn't know they had windows in the Cafe Risque.
They don't. Thats why i had to get my lap dance in the COCKpit of the boat
Old 04-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive at night, rest during daylight.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Drive at night, rest during daylight.
True, but you still may have to stop at a rest area or even gas station. Having a nice tow rig and boat makes you a target, like walking down the street with a fist full of $100's.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered

I like the dog idea.

My dog is in training for shutzhund protection:

http://www.caninetrainingconcept.com/