Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight? >

Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight?

Notices

Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight?

Guys I've got a class reunion next weekend at a local lakefront hotel that has boat parking. I've never left my boat in the water overnight while I was sleeping. I'm worried about it being gone in the morning. Is there anything that helps keep boats where you leave them? Should I padlock it with a big chain or what. It's a 18' VIP.

Vernon
Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulin' 8.1
Guys I've got a class reunion next weekend at a local lakefront hotel that has boat parking. I've never left my boat in the water overnight while I was sleeping. I'm worried about it being gone in the morning. Is there anything that helps keep boats where you leave them? Should I padlock it with a big chain or what. It's a 18' VIP.

Vernon
Hire Kimbo Slice and a Pitbull to stand around your boat
Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Definitely not unheard of, but not likely; especially on a lake. There are only so many places you can "escape" a lake.

Pull the keys, pull the kill switch lanyard, lock the cabin, leave the auto-bilge turned on, put the cockpit cover on, and hope for the best. The chain/padlock is going to stir more attention, and create potential for more damage, than its worth.

If it makes you feel any better, put the tabs all the way down, and the drive down, and turn it all the way to one side or the other. Such will make it next to impossible to tow.

If you are REALLY paranoid, wrap a line around the prop. JUST REMEMBER TO TAKE IT OFF BEFORE YOU LEAVE AGAIN IN THE MORNING.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

we leave our boat in the water from the end of june till the beginning of september in front of our beach club. we have never had anything happen till a couple weeks ago when someone stole the stereo in the middle of the night, and we have left our boats out there for the past 20 or so years. you should be pretty safe. and after all that is what agreed value boat insurance is for.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Haulin' 8.1

Vernon
I did it for years, and I want to tell you... you won't sleep as well. But it should be fine. But I used to dream that it sank.
It didn't. In your situation, you will probably be paranoid. If trailer is possible you may get a better night's sleep. Could be worth a re-launch. But I am doing psychology now. It will be fine.
Your classmates don't hate you.... right????
Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered

Park it next to something real nice with a good stereo
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
Your classmates don't hate you.... right????
Good point. We all have that desire to "show off" when we go back to class reunions. If you've got anyone you would question about their intentions around you and your goods, I'd probably worry a bit more than normal.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Class reunion and you are worried about sleeping??? Pack that biaotch with beeotches and come back to the hotel in the morning And you better have some pics
Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have pics somewhere of an example of the 42 Fountain I had on a Monday after a weekend in Lauderdale ending with Shooters. A case of Dom bottles, clothing of every kind and keys IN the ignition. Never had a problem. Its all odds.

Quick Reply: Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.