Like Tree0Likes

Boat Documentation Question

Reply
Old 05-10-2007, 01:51 PM
  #11
Registered
 
Brad Zastrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: McHenry, Illinois
Posts: 2,244
Default

The name and hailing port need to be 4" The fine is $10,000. I would not chance going out without the name. The numbers need to be permanently mounted in the boat as to cause damage if removed. I just went through this. I am using some temporary vinyl lettering for the name until my grapihics come in. The numbers can be 3" and clear painted/resined over to make them permanent in the bilge area.
Brad Zastrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
  #12
Were doomed!
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
My Boats: Chris Craft Stinger 222
Posts: 5,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
The numbers can be 3" and clear painted/resined over to make them permanent in the bilge area.
Yup....i did that for a friends powerquest...just get the numbers in vinyl and stick them in the bilge area...mask around them with the blue painters tape and some plastic incase of any runs...and mix up a cup of epoxy resin...then just use a brush and cover them all up....wait about 10min for the resin to just start kicking and peel off the tape/plastic and your good to go
You can see them in the back of the picture of the motors....the color difference is the resin ontop of the numbers...
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Documentation Question-dsc01214.jpg  
__________________
-Wally

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Wally is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:26 PM
  #13
Registered
 
masher44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
The name and hailing port need to be 4" The fine is $10,000. I would not chance going out without the name. The numbers need to be permanently mounted in the boat as to cause damage if removed. I just went through this. I am using some temporary vinyl lettering for the name until my grapihics come in. The numbers can be 3" and clear painted/resined over to make them permanent in the bilge area.
ok... let me make sure I am straight on mine.

My boat is CG documented and registered in Texas.

So I need:

1. Name and hailing port in 4 inch on the back of the boat.
2. State sticker on outside of boat (no numbers)
3. CG #s inside the bilge with a clear over them of some kind.

I do not need the state numbers on the outside of boat?
Since I am registered in TX as well, do I need the ID # inside the bilge?

Thanks
masher44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:29 PM
  #14
Registered
 
masher44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hed Out View Post
That is the other problem I have....says the letters need to be 4". I will never make that happen on my transom
there is zero room on mine
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Documentation Question-1248940869_l.jpg  
masher44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:33 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masher44 View Post
ok... let me make sure I am straight on mine.

My boat is CG documented and registered in Texas.

So I need:

1. Name and hailing port in 4 inch on the back of the boat.
2. State sticker on outside of boat (no numbers)
3. CG #s inside the bilge with a clear over them of some kind.

I do not need the state numbers on the outside of boat?
Since I am registered in TX as well, do I need the ID # inside the bilge?

Thanks
I believer your CG #'s have to be permanently mounted inside the boat, not necessarily in the bilge.
ActiveFun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:41 PM
  #16
Were doomed!
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
My Boats: Chris Craft Stinger 222
Posts: 5,529
Default

that is true..ive seen the numbers inside the cockpit before...
__________________
-Wally

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Wally is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:23 PM
  #17
Registered
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: None
Posts: 3,682
Default

I survey boats all the time down here where the owner ONLY has the document on board. The numbers in the engine room are easy to install. I doubt the officer is going to fine you $10,000 when he can see you just recently received your papers by the post mark. Most high performance boats have so much going on at the transom; outdrives, external steering, exhaust outlets/mufflers, K-planes, etc., that the Marine Patrol guys will understand that the name and hailing port is not practical to be on the transom.

If you get stopped, just be courteous and show your paperwork. Unless the guy's a real pri--, you'll be just fine.
Edward R. Cozzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 PM
  #18
Registered
 
Von Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Iowa - Missouri
My Boats: 1997 Cig Kevlar - powered by Boyd
Posts: 3,904
Default

The name and port don't have to be on the transom.

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Von Bongo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 PM
  #19
Registered
 
sommerfliesby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Frankfort, IL
My Boats: 2010 Active Thunder 37 Excess
Posts: 4,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Bongo View Post
The name and port don't have to be on the transom.

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

Hey, now you've just got to buy another boat so you can apply your knowledge!
sommerfliesby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 PM
  #20
Registered
 
Brad Zastrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: McHenry, Illinois
Posts: 2,244
Default

In Illinois we need to register with the state as well. That requires the state numbers on the side of the boat also.
Brad Zastrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
soldsoul4foos
General Boating Discussion
1
05-30-2007 12:42 PM
JasonSmith
General Q & A
10
11-29-2005 08:53 PM
NUG POT 83
General Boating Discussion
14
03-29-2005 09:50 PM
Smitty
General Boating Discussion
19
02-02-2005 07:41 PM
yzbert
General Boating Discussion
23
04-12-2003 10:20 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.