Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help me decide which boat to buy... >

Help me decide which boat to buy...

Notices

Help me decide which boat to buy...

Old 01-09-2002, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to say this but I have to tell the truth. I own a Baja and it is a good boat but I am disappointed with the quality of the gelcoat. As the boat aged you could start to see lines and mat marks through the finish. I must admit that the stripes in the gel has held up extremely well to aging. The only thing I don't like about Formulas is the painted stripes should you accidentally scrape the side it will ruin the painted stripe as where I just buff the gel and I'm back in business. Formula used to be a heavy slow boat that was like a rock but now with the Fastech bottom I wouldn't even think about the Baja. You also need to consider how well it will age and what it will be worth come upgrade time but you already know that!!

Good luck and post some pics when it's yours!!
Old 01-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Registered

I would buy Formula!
Old 01-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Baja Boss,
Well, I can tell you what I'd do, like 27 fountain. BUT, since you've ruled it out.

You said you ruled Reggie boats out due to the ride. I think the Formula will give you a better ride than the Baja.

I used to own a Baja, like the lines of the Outlaws, and came close to buying a 33 Outlaw before the Fountain. I think they are great boats, BUT I also think Formula has one of the best built boats period. They really do a stellar job. I'd go with the one built in IN

The only downside to a Formula, in my opp is I'm not a fan of 99% of the graphics packages they offer. I think Formulas are pricey, but for $20k more than the Baja, that doesn't sound like a lot to me. Technically, the Baja is 38' with the swim platform, though and the Formula is 35'. Hey, I'm a Fountain guy, we ALWAYS analyze "true" length. LOL!

Either way, though, you will have one heck of a nice boat. If you wind up with the Outlaw, RAMPAGE has a 36 with 500's and he was looking at updgrades, so he might help if you do get that speed urge later.

Mark
Old 01-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Sounds like the wife is helping make the decision lean towards the Formula. If the board is any help, it looks like a Formula victory.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:12 PM
Fever500

Mark,

I would get the Formula hands down! The 20k you will get back in resale. I was very impressed with the Formula Dealer. They looked to be setup much better than you know who (can't believe you would even think about buying another boat from that guy!). The Formula has the windshield that you both really like and it will be faster I'm sure.

I hope you will still let us lowly, little boat owners hang with you this summer! First vagrant and now you guys!

Old 01-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DJD, I hear you loud & clear. If money was not an object I would buy exactly what you mentioned. I have many pictures on the wall here at my office including the Wild Child flying high and level, but my favorite is "ROCKET". Yaba Daba DOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fever 500, where the hell have you been. I thought you must have jumped that dirt bike off a cliff and died! Have e-mailed and left voice messages on the cell phone with no response. Hope you and the family had a great Christmas. We need to get together. Still haven't got that free dinner you promised. Of course with that knot on your head that night you have not remember. Ha Ha
I don't think either of these boats will keep up with your Fountain anyway. Take care
Old 01-09-2002, 05:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 515 Posts
If you like standard features, you have to check out Sonic, but second to that, Formula.

Brian
Old 01-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Registered

Formula. 'Nuff said....
Old 01-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Fever500

Hehehe.... Bump on head? Free dinner? Oh yeah... It's all coming back to me now...!

I've been kinda out of action....If you are ever in Mexico and a guy ask you if you'd like to meet his sister ... well my attorney says I'll should be out soon!

But really, I've been super busy. You know how much of a ball breaker my boss can be .. sometimes I wanna bust him right in the mouth! By the sounds of these new boats you are looking at I might tell him to hit the road and apply at your place!!

I'll give ya a call.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which boat to buy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.