Help me decide which boat to buy... >

Help me decide which boat to buy...

Notices

Help me decide which boat to buy...

Old 01-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Baja Boss..Help me out here. You are buying an offshore performance boat, right? With 500 H.P.'s , right? One of your replies was that you didn't need the speed. Doesnt add up, nobody needs the speed until someone blows by you. Then if you did need the speed or decided to increase your speed the Formula may be able to handle the H.P. increase. You did say you wanted to be happy for a couple of years. Not many people leave their boats stock for a couple of years. Besides the Formula looks more like a Fountain than a Baja...Formula all the way. Next to a Fountain. Are they on comparable trailers? Something to consider for a long term investment if you don't want to be buying a new one in 4 or 5 years...Have Fun!!!
Old 01-09-2002, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Formula all the way. I would definately think you would get the 20 G's back in resale value. I haven't spent much time on the Outlaw but I have on a 382 FasTech Formula and personally think it is one of the highest quality offshore rigs available. Just look out on the race course. Lots of Formulas and Fountains. Theres a good reason for that. If you don't need the speed go with the 496 HO's. You will probably still have speed similar to the Outlaw with the 500's and may even save a few bucks. Just my opinion. I wish I were having the same problem as you!!!

Mike
Old 01-09-2002, 06:45 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beak Boater - I hear you loud and clear. My Baja 272 only runs 64MPH and in rough conditions we are good to run 50 unless you really want to drive it and get bounced around. The 35 should run 65 + easy in the same conditions so it is a big step up for me. There will always be someone faster and I am OK with that. If speed was the issue I would definately consider the Fountain or go with a Cat. My wife and I overnight a lot and are giving a lot of consideration to the cuddy set up and room.

BigMike- You gotta love that 382, that is one sweet ride. The 496HO's are great from what I hear, but I love those 500's. It is a must have for me. I wish the 575's were lower priced!
Old 01-09-2002, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
I have a Baja and I will say it again like I've said a thousand times before. Baja'a are under rated and don't get the respect they should. They ride just as good as ANY boat I've been in, and I've been in almost all the major companies boats.

I agree with too old, I dont like windshields on the formulas either. I like the outlaws classic offshore lines, including the single rail down the middle, the "straight cut" transom, the flat deck and low profile deck including the fiber glass fairing. I do not really care for the Euro lines of Formula's and other "euro" style boats I like true classic offshore lines, which the outlaws have.

I think the cockpit area on the baja's is laid out nicer and neater. I love the bolsters Baja uses. They rap around you like racing bolsters and the rear benches with the individual seating position and the billet handles inbetween each seat is stunning to look at and completly comfortable and secure to ride in!! not to mention the seats are TOO padded if anything!

I have had my outlaw for 4 years now and the gelcoat looks as good as the day I bought it. I run my boat in the ocean (hard) in very big conditions and there is not a stress crack on the boat!!

I dont buy toys (boats included) to worry about the re-sale value, if thats an issue I think all the other areas I talked about are worth more to me as a user of the boat than re-sale.

All this being said, IF I could afford a new 36 outlaw or 35 formula I would go with the outlaw with out a hesitation. If those were the two choices...however the next boat I buy is going to be a cafe racer. But if you look at the outlaws and the cafe and guns, theres a remarkable simularity!

Whatever you end up buying I'm sure you will love and enjoy and thats all that matters! So have fun and I look forward to seeing some photos.

Tank
Old 01-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Buy the Formula, that way you won't get your balls busted for having a Baja. Right chuck- and woo who

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 01-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Horseplay

Actually I think you would be better off in a used Cigarette, but that wasn't an option. Go with the Formula, MUCH better quality boat. You can always add A/C. And you can buy a small portable TV for next to nothing. From personal experience, Baja gives you a lot up front, but they just don't last.

Old 01-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I started out thinking I was going to get a 353, but for the money, I thought my 382 was a better deal, plus I could get A/C (and generator) from the factory. Depending on the financing you're looking at, you may want to seriously consider the 382. Equally equipped, it's not as much more over the 353 as you might think. That being said, I thought that TV/VCR combo was an option in the 353 (?), and I have heard of people on this board who had A/C put in afterwards.

I will NEVER regret having bought my Formula. I liked it so much, I went to see the factory AFTER I bought it. (W-O-W!)

Besides, even BajaBob38 likes my 382, although it is certainly shorter on headroom that his 38 Special...
Old 01-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Registered

Friends don't let friends buy Baja's. Go with the formula. Much better boat. Better built, better design, and will hold its value. Sorry to all you Baja owners, but I've been on a lot of them and I'm not impressed yet.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Registered

For only 20 thousand more the Formula will be a better buy. A Formula and an Outlaw are definitely different kinds of boats. Windshield as opposed to lots of wind. It depends on which you prefer. You guys could always add the other options at a latter time. Unfortunately you can never add the beak to either one of those boats.
Happy boat buying,
Dan
Old 01-09-2002, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
F.O.R.M.U.L.A !!

supercharge it

Quick Reply: Help me decide which boat to buy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.