Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help me decide which boat to buy... >

Help me decide which boat to buy...

Notices

Help me decide which boat to buy...

Old 01-09-2002, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will probley piss some people off Formula or Bahahahaha lets see I had a old 302 1980 for 8 years. you could not hurt the hull and most of the gel coat looked good when I sold it had the original interior untill 96 or97 and I ran the crap out of it. what the hell buy a cat like I did small cabin fun as hell to drive.Formula all the way hope this helps see you at LOTO if you ever make it there.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Baja Boss-
You haven't treated your decision fairly until you've looked at Active Thunder- it will truly surprise you!
Old 01-09-2002, 10:10 PM
Registered

This will probley piss some people off Formula or Bahahahaha lets see I had a old 302 1980 for 8 years. you could not hurt the hull and most of the gel coat looked good when I sold it had the original interior untill 96 or97 and I ran the crap out of it. what the hell buy a cat like I did small cabin fun as hell to drive.Formula all the way hope this helps see you at LOTO if you ever make it there.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Registered

Sorrey about the double post
Old 01-09-2002, 11:25 PM
Registered

Between the two you listed, I know what I would buy. But I do agree the few that said to check out the Active Thunder before you buy. There something about a lifetime warranty that cant be beat
Old 01-10-2002, 12:59 AM
fermin

I beg to differ with the majority of you folks. No question when comparing the two Formula has the better name. My biggest problem with the Formula is the windshield. Baja Boss, unless your wife needs plastic surgery I would even consider glass on a performance boat especially in the way of a windshield. Kind of like glass around the pool, that’s a No No. (i.e.) 2000 Chicago poker run the weather changed for the worse and we were stuck running in 6-8 footers, 4 guys in a new Formula 382 Fastech came back looking like something out of a freak show. “Yup”, you guessed it, the windshield exploded in their face and these guys ended up having their own dance party. I also have a friend that was delivering a new 47’ Fountain with Pat at Active Thunder from Pompano to Miami. A wave hit the shield and ripped it completely off. Shields are also very cumbersome when trying to climb over them to get to the deck. Ever try crawling over one in chop with 100/ft of rope and anchor? Windshields have no business on a performance boat and are just plain stupid.

Personally I would go with the Baja especially in your case considering you are looking for creature comforts, microwave, tv/vcr, and ac and the mere fact it is 20k less for the same length boat and merc. power. I would take that 20k and save it for boating expenses. (i.e.) trailer, fuel, ext. warranty, insurance, maintenance, beer, margarita mix, power boat mag etc. Bottom line, you can’t possibly tell me that you’re gonna have any more fun in a boat that cost you 20k more for the same length with less features. Also, chances are you’ll have this boat for few years before you decide to trade up or out and at that time I know the Baja will be by far easier to unload. Primary reason is that it cost much less then anything comparable. Your average joe is looking for value and as long as it looks good, runs, floats it’s good enough for him. This is the same reason why Baja outsells all other performance boat manufactures new and used.
I also feel in this case that the Baja has a far better looking profile and their interior workmanship is much better then most of their competition. In your case you can't possibly go wrong with the Baja especially when it suits your needs.

Good luck Baja Boss and wife in your decision.

joey

Old 01-10-2002, 01:38 AM
Registered

Lot's of choices. Formula would be my choice if those were the only two options. I would also do yourself a favor and check out PQ. Yeah, I know what you're all saying... he owns one. I owned a Scarab before and looked Very carefully at Formula and Baja. After riding a some, and it were only between the two I would choose Formula hands down. However, I would do yourself a favor and just take a look at the 34 or 38 PQ. It offers all of the things you want in the Formula (including AC/Heat and others) for the price of the Baja. On the plus side, in my opinion, it offers an great ride with excellent speed! Check out powerquestboats.com and check them out for yourself. IF you really want a good deal to compare to, check with Ducky's in Middletown, PA and ask for Tom Jr.. He will give you a great deal if you are serious and I would be willing to offer all the assitance needed in building your own CUSTOM boat. I just completed mine and I could not be happier!!! Email and I will give you the pros and cons.

PS - Both of the boats that you mentioned are also awesome! Your call.;

Dave
Old 01-10-2002, 08:08 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I vote Formula. Better build quality, better hardware, should be a more solid ride. You will have better resale value when you decide to move up.

Curve ball- I know you said you've narrowed it down to these two, BUT have you looked at / considered PowerQuest? They have all the amenities that the Baja has and the quality closer to the Formula. Seems like you could get the best of both worlds.
I just bought a LOADED (A/C, Vacuflush, hot /cold water, microwave, & lots more) PQ 340 for less that $ 140K.

Good luck, I'm sure which ever you choose, you will absolutly love it.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-10-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

You should look at Active Thunder and Outerlimits(pricey) before you make the decision.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:21 AM
Wild Horses

I do not understand what is so hard about this decision. FORMULA

Buy it and then upgrade the options next year.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which boat to buy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.