Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What does it take to freeze & crack an engine block? >

What does it take to freeze & crack an engine block?

Notices

What does it take to freeze & crack an engine block?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Salt water. The boat left northern fl and went to Kentucky. The boat sat outside during the 3 month stay. That's all there is to it.
Was someone suppose to winterize it when it got there? Why didn't that happen before it left? Surely it wasn't going to be left for 3 months like that.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Salt water. The boat left northern fl and went to Kentucky. The boat sat outside during the 3 month stay. That's all there is to it.
Just go on weather.com and look up the weather history for that 3 month period, you'll be able to tell how cold it got and for how long! The temps would have needed to be at or below 28 degrees, day and night, for at least a couple days straight IMO...

Personally, I'd blame the owner for not winterizing it before it went north or the place is stayed for 3 months and if they were suppposed to winterize it.

2 years ago I went on my honeymoon and we had a noreaster, I had friends check up on the boat for me and make sure it was safe while I was gone.

Last edited by Panther; 05-18-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by tanner
Would have thought the freeze plugs would have popped first
"freeze plugs" aren't really freeze plugs,they are casting plugs that allow the manufacturer of the casted object (like the engine block) to get the casting sand from the mold out of the water jacket after the casting process. Most chevy engines if frozen will crack the engine block inside the lifter valley before the plugs ever pop out of the motor,Smitty
Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
True...to a point.

In an active thermodynamic system (active meaning there exists heat flux - a transfer of heat at some rate), moving air will have some effect. With inanimate objects that don't produce their own heat and the system is stabilized, wind will not have any effect. In other words, if it's 30 degrees outside and the engine block is already stable at 30 degrees there will be no effect of wind. 30 degrees is 30 degrees no matter if the air is still or moving --- Now, if the engine block is at 40 degrees and it's 30 degrees outside, in still air the block will cool down to 30 at a given rate until it stabilizes at 30 degrees depending on the air's ability to absorb heat. The air immediately surrounding the block gains heat and warms slightly (this slows heat transfer because the temp difference is diminished) and it thus transfers this heat slowly to the air further and further away. Now, if this the air is moving swiftly past the block and it's at 30 degrees, the air immediately in contact with the block is always at 30 degrees (no warming effect), and it will absorb heat more quickly than if it were still.

When weather people speak of 'wind chill' it does not apply to objects that do not create their own heat. It's strictly an approximate measure of how 'cold' it will 'feel' to humans with a body temp of 98.6. Say for instance, if 30 degree air is moving at 20 mph past your body, it will absorb heat away from you at an increased rate approximately equal to still air that's perhaps at 0 degrees. For an object that does not make its own heat and it's already the same temperature as the surrounding air, wind chill does not apply.

Back to the original question: I can't possibly see how a block can freeze over the course of 4 hours in 30 degree temperatures. Think of how long it takes to freeze an ice cube in your freezer which is typically about 0 degrees and the water is in direct contact with this cold air. I call B.S.
Did the plane take off from the treadmill yet?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

I agree with Panther.

Originally Posted by Panther
Personally, I'd blame the owner for not winterizing it before it went north or the place is stayed for 3 months and if they were suppposed to winterize it.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BBB725
Did the plane take off from the treadmill yet?
It sure did.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Registered

Okay I have been reading all this about how long does it take a marine engine block to crack. I have 30 years experience of owning a boat dealership.
My rule of thumb is this! 30 degrees 30 hours. 24 degrees 24 hours. 15 degrees 15 hours. 5 degrees 5 hours. This is of course your engine in a covered engine room. Like a Sea Ray, Cobalt, Regal, Rinker, Chaparral, ski boats race boats etc. You get the point!

John...
Old 12-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. John
Okay I have been reading all this about how long does it take a marine engine block to crack. I have 30 years experience of owning a boat dealership.
My rule of thumb is this! 30 degrees 30 hours. 24 degrees 24 hours. 15 degrees 15 hours. 5 degrees 5 hours. This is of course your engine in a covered engine room. Like a Sea Ray, Cobalt, Regal, Rinker, Chaparral, ski boats race boats etc. You get the point!

John...
you-realize this is a 12 year old thread right?
Old 12-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
you-realize this is a 12 year old thread right?
Does anyone remember what the final outcome was on how the blocks froze?