Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Court Ruling Could Kill Boating???? What is this CRAP!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159044-court-ruling-could-kill-boating-what-crap.html)

phragle 05-24-2007 03:48 PM

the zebra mussels definitly cleaned up a lt of the water born sediment, now (at least around here) giant lillypad lotus things are invading marinas and channels because more sunlite reaches the bottom, seagrasses are cropping up all over the bay for the same reasons (wrapping around props), the damn things grow in any crack, crevis transom housing they can find, the larvae gets sucked up into the outdrive and motors then grows and clogs stuff up... and those lilly oad things are some kind of protected plant species so you can get major fines for clearing them.

cosmic12 05-24-2007 04:11 PM

Ya the Zebra mussels cleaned the water somewhat but like said above now the plant life is makeing it almost impossible to use the rivers and you can't swim anymore whithout shoes on because the F'ing things will slice your feet up like razor blades. They suck.:mad:

bouyhunter 05-24-2007 04:56 PM

Wow - didn't realize it was causing those kinds of problems up there.
Initially in the first 5 years, the water was looking alot better. Hell, it was like a big mud-puddle to play in the Maumee and out in the bay before the zebra-mussel thing. You had to go alot further out into the lake to find clear water.
Last time I was up there on the water was about a yr and a half ago with Glassdave. And the water looked great. Didn't realize about the other problems - and hadn't thought to ask.

hotlavey 05-24-2007 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by satisfactionII (Post 2138269)
I worked 14 years for the Federal courts and probably met more than 100 federal judges and worked personally with 32 of them. They are idiots. Egotistical, self-centered idiots. Only one, Judge Ellison in the 10th District court in Tulsa was what I would call a sane and normal person. It's sad because these men and women are appointed for life.

I did send the e-mails to my senators and congresman. Hope this crappy law gets changed for the better.

The ninth circuit court is well known for making many stupid decisions. In fact, they are the court that has had more decisions overturned by the Supreme court then any other.
They are a bunch of liberal idiots.

Mark 05-24-2007 05:54 PM

We had a boat on Erie for many years. Zebra Mussels suck! Yes, we had bad water intake & over heating issues. The mechanics had a field day with us suckers! So did the Mussels!

Michael1 05-25-2007 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by hotlavey (Post 2139553)
The ninth circuit court is well known for making many stupid decisions. In fact, they are the court that has had more decisions overturned by the Supreme court then any other.
They are a bunch of liberal idiots.

I'll second that! The courts have far too long been one person legislative bodies.

Michael

A.W. 05-25-2007 10:39 AM

This is a tough one. Which is worse Ninth Circut Court judges or Zebra Muscles.....In my opinion they both need to go. Zebra Muscles suck. BAD. They do clear the water because they eat sediment, algae, phytoplankton, etc. all things that cloud the waters. However as some of you have noted that only invites new problems. And just a note on how fast the can spread: One female can produce 40,000 eggs per breeding cycle and about 1 million eggs per year. The lavae, which can't be seen by the naked eye, can live outside the water for days. That is how these things spread from lake to lake to lake. . As for killing these things once they get into your lake.....Good Luck. I've heard about a power plant in Michigan that pulled it's water from a lake that was infested with Zebra Muscles. They were having problems with their intakes, they inspected them and counted about 700,000 muscles per square meter. no good.

Mark 05-25-2007 11:33 AM

Yeah, it is a toss up - both Liberals and Zebra Mussles SUCK!