Like Tree0Likes

teague engines

Reply
Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 PM
  #11
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.
Posts: 21,922
Default

The Teague 720 is naturally aspirated, and it is a BAAAAAAAD motor.
Attached Thumbnails
teague engines-10615_4.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-05-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Sydwayz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
  #12
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: St. Louis / LOTO
My Boats: 38 Scarab AVS
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
What a coincidence that there just happen to be 2 37 AT's for sale with Teague 720's
That means you can pick up the other one, Griff...
Shallow Minded is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:14 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 270
Default

I had some engines built there a couple of years ago and they didn't have a dyno at that time. I don't think he has one now. He use to send them out to have that done if he needed the numbers.

Both Bob and Norm do great work, especially Norm. That 720 is a good engine. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you were buying them from Bob new, I would say get the warranty in writing and make sure everything is clear. Because he tries hard to get out of fixing things when you bring them back after they break. At least he's done that to me in the past.
tim mccray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM
  #14
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member
 
Tbonepmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: STL / LOTO
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim mccray View Post
I had some engines built there a couple of years ago and they didn't have a dyno at that time. I don't think he has one now. He use to send them out to have that done if he needed the numbers.

Both Bob and Norm do great work, especially Norm. That 720 is a good engine. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you were buying them from Bob new, I would say get the warranty in writing and make sure everything is clear. Because he tries hard to get out of fixing things when you bring them back after they break. At least he's done that to me in the past.
What was broke?
__________________
(What you see, is what you get!)
"Live every day to it's fullest for you give a day of your life to it."
Tbonepmp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:44 PM
  #15
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
That means you can pick up the other one, Griff...
Way!! Way!!!! over my budget.
Griff is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 AM
  #16
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 270
Default

I had him build two brand new engines. About 8 months later one engine blew. I never got a straight answer as to what exactly caused a cylinder to heat up and burn a piston. Before that I had to take it in a few other times for oil leaks. The valve cover bolts kept breaking. The next year the same motor blew. That time it was the crank shaft. The front of it broke off. He wouldn't warranty it the first time, so I knew he wouldn't fix it the second time either. I sold the boat right after.
tim mccray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:27 AM
  #17
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

IŽd say either a too tight a clearance in that cylinder or running too lean probably from an intake gasket leak.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 AM
  #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim mccray View Post
Both Bob and Norm do great work, especially Norm. That 720 is a good engine. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you were buying them from Bob new, I would say get the warranty in writing and make sure everything is clear. Because he tries hard to get out of fixing things when you bring them back after they break. At least he's done that to me in the past.
He doesn't stand by his warranty, but "you shouldn't have anything to worry about."
Michael1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
  #19
Who Me?
Platinum Member
 
FeverMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Tampa
My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain
Posts: 6,656
Default

Does Teague own a Dyno yet? How does he come up with the numbers to rate his engines? I have heard many stories about the lack of service after the sale with warranty issues but people keep buying them.
FeverMike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
  #20
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lake St.Clair MI
Posts: 1,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim mccray View Post
I had him build two brand new engines. About 8 months later one engine blew. I never got a straight answer as to what exactly caused a cylinder to heat up and burn a piston. Before that I had to take it in a few other times for oil leaks. The valve cover bolts kept breaking. The next year the same motor blew. That time it was the crank shaft. The front of it broke off. He wouldn't warranty it the first time, so I knew he wouldn't fix it the second time either. I sold the boat right after.
Was it a Lunati crank?
Lee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dean campbell
General Boating Discussion
80
06-30-2014 04:20 PM
RJBBC
General Q & A
23
09-19-2008 06:31 PM
o2man98
General Boating Discussion
0
02-03-2007 07:07 PM
SkiDoc
General Boating Discussion
1
01-02-2006 11:40 AM
BJM
General Q & A
9
01-22-2004 02:13 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.