Notices

Check Us Out

Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Other things about the Burgh area that were strange to me:
You can only buy beer at the beer store. No grocery stores or carryout's.
You can only buy wine or Liquor at the Liquor store - but you can't buy beer there.
Beer sales stopped at 10:00pm every night (at least at my local, not sure if that was everywhere).
No beer or Liquor sales on Sunday.
If you run out of beer on sunday, the local bar will sell carry-out at bar prices. $$$
At the beer store, you cannot buy a six-pack. Beer is only sold by the case ( that's a comitment if trying something new).
Iron City is on tap everywhere.
Yuengling is the local, and if I'm not mistaken, the oldest brewer still in operation in America.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Yuengling was Philly. Penn Pilsner was local and oldschool. I always liked Straub too (from St. Marys and Honestly Natural). People in the Burgh hated Rolling Rock as I recall even though it used to be made right up the road in Latrobe, where the Stillers had summer camp (St. Vincents?).

The state stores were strange, but I worked in a bar and had buddies that worked in bars, so no issues getting beer! And Brewskis had Iron and IC (for the ladies!) on tap for like $0.95 for a 22 oz beer. Plus a lot of my buds belonged to the Eagles (Iggles) Club up in Sharpsburg and I think the beer was like $0.50 Iron on tap! Now I can't get Miller Lite on tap for under $4.50 a pint!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered

Yeah, I made my first trip out to CA a few months ago, and you can't find Miller.
But, any port in a storm - I went with Coors.

Roll with it - I hope we're not trashing your thread. If nothing else, we're keeping it in full view at the top of the board
Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Not trashing it at all.. I think its funny cause everything you guys are saying is soo true. This area is very unique to say the least in its culture. lol

They are starting to change some of the beer laws. Working on getting beer in the stores here like every other state. You still have to stock up for sunday's though. But you guys forgot about one thing. UBC. When all the other distributors are closed, University beverage Center in Oakland stays open all night.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Registered

Ha! If I had a dollar for everytime I was in UBC! Right up the street from the "O" as I recall!

People think I'm nuts when I tell them I love Pittsburgh. Great people and a great town!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered

You may be right about the Yeungling thing being Philly. I just know that the Burgh is the first time I encountered it.
I still have some family and friends out that way.
There are some very cool and unique things about Pittsburgh.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Registered

Yes it is near the "O". Thats another great place to get good cheap food. And alot of it. Rule for the fries.. Order at least one size smaller than you really want to eat. At least Ft. Lauderdale gets to sample a little with Primanti Brother's being down there. Not sure if its as good as the original in the Strip District.