Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best $200 ive EVER SPENT! (20 mins in a 47' lightning, triple 525's) >

Best $200 ive EVER SPENT! (20 mins in a 47' lightning, triple 525's)

Notices

Best $200 ive EVER SPENT! (20 mins in a 47' lightning, triple 525's)

Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uthustler
what kind of boat is a high demand that wouldnt be hard to resell once it is time to step up? (manufacturer, options, what?)
if you are serious, you should pay for a membership. it has its benefits....
Old 06-24-2007, 10:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default boats

I am in the Dallas area and have a lot of boats for sale. call me if you need some help 903=814-8848
Old 06-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's in TX, maybe Masher will take him under his wing
Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

how is this fountain price wise?

2001 Fountain 35 Lighting - $104,995
001 Fountain 35 Lighting, 35' WANT TO GO FAST 110 MPH!!!!!!!!! This is a 2001 Fountain 35 Lighting Twin Step Derebery Performance Marine 750's with Imco shorti XR Drives Hydromtive 5 blade props Very Clean Very Fast Shark Graphics 57 Hours on Hull Motors and Drives are Fresh over 100K invested in Motors and drives. FRESH WATER BOAT ONE OWNER comes with Trailer.

750's are gonna cost you a fortune in insurance and fuel. This is really a 32' (max) boat. I personally would look for stock power. 496ho, 500efi, or 525efi
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind your higher altitude issues being in Tahoe
Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shore Thing
750's are gonna cost you a fortune in insurance and fuel. This is really a 32' (max) boat. I personally would look for stock power. 496ho, 500efi, or 525efi
would you take a 496HO or 525efi?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Keep in mind your higher altitude issues being in Tahoe
yea, that is why i love sea level, or we are at 400 ft here in the dallas area.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shore Thing
if thie is 'really' a 32' boat, can you put it in a space that is only 32'?????? hell no you cant!

it is called a 35 fountain because it is 35' long!

i have known derebery for many years and he and his guys build a great product!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleStuff
if thie is 'really' a 32' boat, can you put it in a space that is only 32'?????? hell no you cant!

it is called a 35 fountain because it is 35' long!

!
We've got a new guy here- let's stick to telling him the truth.

uthustler,

Fountain sticks a swim platform on their boats and an extended nose. They may look nice to some but they don't increase the effective running surface of the boat. If you sit a 35' Fountain next to a 35' Cigarette, you'll note that there's quite a bit more bottom on the Cig. This is wht the Cig will displace more water, i.e., ride better when it's sloppy. While you're there, notice that the Cig has much more freeboard (it's deeper from the keel to the deck). The Fountain is going to go faster and use less fuel, but only on light-water days. The Cig is going to plow thru the slop much better on those days that the whitecaps are kicking up. Virtually all offshore boats are built with the same basic geometry- the 24-degree v-bottom. Most are derivatives of the 35' Cigarette which is the stepson of the 32 Cary. Some have been lengthened, narrowed, etc. There have been pads, steps, notches, tapers and a zillion strake combinations tried on the bottoms.

I don't really know if any of these changes made the boats better. The definitely made them different, each in their own way. None of them have revolutionized boating, regardless of what any owner or manufacturer tells you. The one thing that has made boats better is the materials they are constructed out of. Boats have gotten progressively lighter and stronger over the years- prettyy much starting in the mid-90's. In the late 70's, raceboats were being made more and more with Kevlar, which is lighter than glass with equivalent strength. The carbon fiber came along and was being used for reinforcements in high-stress areas. Modern resins and advanced construction techniques made the boats lighter and stronger than ever. These advances have made boats "better" in many ways, but not all. While light & strong are nice attributes omn many days, that antique, 70's vintage Cig 35 is going to have a decided advantage on those really sloppy days. Like Newton says, F=MA. More simply, mass equals brute force which moves water out of your way. The Fountain 47 didn't magically move the slop out of your way on your little ride. It's a big boat with alot of mass.

As far as a "real" performance boat, there's no reason you can't find a nice boat in the $50K to $75K range. If you've got another $25 or $50K, you can get newer and nicer but not necessarily more durable. Stick with normally aspirated engines to start with. Forget a cat. Nobody is going to sell you insurance on one, let alone the other inherent issues, the least of which is that it takes a higher level of skill to operate one safely than a deep v does. You don't need a 40+ foot boat with triples to have fun- especially on a smaller lake. 34 to 38 feet is ideal. You can go in the 70 to 80 mph range with relatively reliable power and you can afford to fill the tanks. Triples can be very thirsty.

I'd start by looking in the classifieds, Boattrader.com and some of the marina's online inventores- see what catches your eye. Visit a couple that aren't too far away from you. Then start asking questions. Always remember one thing- regardless fo what boat you're looking at and how much you have to spend, they're all compromises. Make sure you narrow down your list of what compromises work best for you BEFORE you buy something. If you want creature comforts, don't buy an ex-raceboat. If you want to fly, don't buy a Formula. of course, you can have everything- it starts in the $400K range...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

just wondering, for an entry level person for their first boat of this type (stepping up from a cobalt) what could I get in the neighborhood of $100k-120k? New or Used.
This one. 1997 with 525's.
Attached Thumbnails Best 0 ive EVER SPENT! (20 mins in a 47' lightning, triple 525's)-apache.jpg   Best 0 ive EVER SPENT! (20 mins in a 47' lightning, triple 525's)-s-poker-run-013.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best $200 ive EVER SPENT! (20 mins in a 47' lightning, triple 525's)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.