Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat accident on the Connecticut River >

Boat accident on the Connecticut River

Notices

Boat accident on the Connecticut River

Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad. We went through shortly after the accident as Lifestar was leaving. Did't know the details but figured it wasn't good. RIP.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Another sad story and senseless death on the water
Old 07-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered

yur gay
Old 07-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc...0,326717.story

Last edited by Indy; 07-10-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

(Old Saybrook-AP) _ State officials say the 53-year-old woman killed in a boating accident in Old Saybrook over the weekend was from South Windsor.

The Department of Environmental Protection today identified Susan Brandes as the woman fatally injured when the sailboat she was in was hit by a runaway speed boat on Sunday.

The three people injured included the woman's husband, 69-year-old Leland Brandes of South Windsor, 61-year-old Joan Spector of Monroe and 61-year-old Franklin Spector.

The operator of the powerboat, 44-year-old Gregory Siege, of Madison, has been charged with reckless operation of a vessel while intoxicated.

Drinking and boating some people just dont get it, maybe when tragidy strikes closer to home they will. I would say the boat driver is screwed.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by prosno
(Old Saybrook-AP) The operator of the powerboat, 44-year-old Gregory Siege, of Madison, has been charged with reckless operation of a vessel while intoxicated.
Is that it No manslaughter charges? WTF??
Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

this is so sad. i just cant believe how lightly people take the use of lanyards.

one other thing, we all read about these types of accidents where there is a run away boat that is doing circles out of control and bystanders are trying to get control of the craft. one way to possibly stop the craft that i have not seen done yet, throw your docklines in front of it and foul the prop. Once in a while you will see an ameture video of people trying to jump from one boat into the other trying to get control but it seems to me a better way might to be just to attempt to throw whatever lines you have infront of it. just a thought. i hate hearing these stories, people please wear those lanyards and prevent it from the get go. My boat is a big old slug and i wear mine religiously even though it cruises in the 40's.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's part of the "getting ready to put it on plane" ritual. Tabs down, drives in, people sitting, LANYARD ON. I've gone one step further and started making everyone wear life jackets.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
this is so sad. i just cant believe how lightly people take the use of lanyards.

one other thing, we all read about these types of accidents where there is a run away boat that is doing circles out of control and bystanders are trying to get control of the craft. one way to possibly stop the craft that i have not seen done yet, throw your docklines in front of it and foul the prop. Once in a while you will see an ameture video of people trying to jump from one boat into the other trying to get control but it seems to me a better way might to be just to attempt to throw whatever lines you have infront of it. just a thought. i hate hearing these stories, people please wear those lanyards and prevent it from the get go. My boat is a big old slug and i wear mine religiously even though it cruises in the 40's.
Thats what they did and it worked, but it flipped the sea tow boat over as well. No one was hurt though from it. It's a sad story that could have been avoided with a lanyard, knowledge and not drinking. Anyone can get a boat and a license these days and not know anything.