Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thought I'd seen it all at the ramp... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/163626-thought-id-seen-all-ramp.html)

Sydwayz 07-16-2007 05:28 PM

Thought I'd seen it all at the ramp...

So Sunday afternoon after the Jammin' on the James Poker Run, OCDActive and I are about to shove off from ActiveShack's house with my boat and head to the ramp load up on the trailer. The ramp is only 300 yards from Mark's house. An older 24' Baja comes cruising along and blocks the whole ramp. So, Scott and I stand back and wait for the ramp to open up.

This guy ties up across the opening of the single launch ramp; and proceeds to take for fricking EVER to walk 50 yards to retrieve his truck and trailer. He backs down the ramp, and walks out to the boat. In the mean time, our friend Russ pulls up with my truck and trailer and proceeds to offer help, yet the Baja owner continues on his own.

This it the best part! He pulls the Baja onto the trailer, and powers on about 3/4 of the way at about 3500rpm +/-. HE BACKS THE THROTTLE DOWN TO 2500RPM AND LEAVES THE BOAT IN GEAR blowing water about 5 feet in the air and 20 feet back!!! HE LEAVES THE COCKPIT AND WALKS UP THE BOW to the winch and proceeds to hook up the winch and start winching the boat up the trailer; ALL THE WHILE STILL IN GEAR AT 2500RPM!! :eek:

Fortunately the boat did not rocket up his POS trailer and kill him. Upon seeing this guy's "expertise" our friend Russ, politely moves WAY the hell away from this spectacle. The guy walked down the bow and shut the motor down. THEN, he proceeds to drive up the ramp with the DRIVE STILL DOWN. :D

I guess it takes all kinds! :drink:

fountain1fan 07-16-2007 05:57 PM

jest goes to show some people . doint need a boat . a2 years ago saw a 31 cc going out the inlet at around 30mph ob trimmed to max up bow to the sky looking around the side of the boat to see .

Audiofn 07-16-2007 05:58 PM

Hey Sonny you got a problem with the way I load my boat!!!!

BajaFresh 07-16-2007 06:36 PM

F'ing stupid Baja owners! :eek: :D :D

Gunrunner72 07-16-2007 06:56 PM

Sounds like a typical Sunday afternoon at the ramp where I put in!:eek:

I fear, that with like motorcycles, more and more knuckleheadz are taking up boating. Common sense seems to go right out the window.

waterboy222 07-16-2007 07:12 PM

I think launch ramps out to have stadium seating and an announcer.. can you imagine..

"OH! So close that time, folks, lets give him a round of applause and a round for our sponsors Fiberglass of North America who will be waiting at the top of the ramp for todays contenders"

slboatdrinks 07-16-2007 07:22 PM

You're just jealous you didn't think of it first. :D

Instead, you take the easy way out and take me and OCDactive with you to play it safe.

Prostreeter 07-16-2007 07:39 PM

I saw a Baja owner over the weekend lose his boat!Here was this guy launching his Baja as I was waiting for seemed like 10minutes.The dude starts up the motor, walks over the bow,jumps in the water to release the strap and there goes the boat.He had it in reverse.Then he runs out into the water then begins to swim until he got ahold of the little hook on the bow of the boat all the while the boat is going backwards.

This guy was holding on to that hook and trying to throw a leg over the bow which was impossible.The boat was easliy 75 yard from the ramp when all of a sudden" Batman" on another boat saw what was going on and jumped aboard this Baja and took it out of gear.

If only I had a video camera to capture this stunt and send it to AFV.

LV 07-16-2007 07:58 PM

I'm not sure if it gets any better than that, however a few years back an old girlfriends father was pulled over after leaving the lake with 45' of rope and an anchor still tied to his boat,he went to jail over that neat trick.

R Addiction 07-16-2007 08:00 PM

Brian , We had already pulled our boat out and were cleaning it up I guess when this went on....but I heard about it later on Marks dock from the neighbor Jim. The community had just bucked up the money to put a new longer slab on that ramp because of some of the residents are getting larger boats and he was not to happy with that person to say the least. Don't blame him in the least!! :mad:

Let alone the butt dart leaves it in gear and walks up the bow to finish whiching it on!!!:eek:

ACTIVESHACK 07-16-2007 08:14 PM

When we get in on Sunday afternoon cleaning the boat isn't a PIA because of the free entertainment i get watching the ramp across the creek. I've seen this guy on the Baja do what Sydwayz described before. Next time i see him go out i'll have the camera ready to get a pic. of his stupidity. Because of guys like him our HOA had to spend 13 grand last winter to fix our ramp because it got washed out. He's the cousin of a guy down the street and uses our private community ramp every weekend, doesn't live here and doesn't pay dues.

docmanrich37 07-16-2007 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK (Post 2199776)
When we get in on Sunday afternoon cleaning the boat isn't a PIA because of the free entertainment i get watching the ramp across the creek. I've seen this guy on the Baja do what Sydwayz described before. Next time i see him go out i'll have the camera ready to get a pic. of his stupidity. Because of guys like him our HOA had to spend 13 grand last winter to fix our ramp because it got washed out. He's the cousin of a guy down the street and uses our private community ramp every weekend, doesn't live here and doesn't pay dues.

Are you the guy down the street.What color was he's neck?:D

KRAZYKATZ 07-16-2007 08:25 PM

so this guy backs down the ramp to put his boat on,
gets out of his truck,puts his waiters on up to his neck,
puts a block under his trailer wheel then truck wheel,
then goes to the front of his truck and disconnects the,
battery brings it back to the trailer and hooks to his winch,

you do the math, it was dark buy the time i got
my fng boat out of the water.

dykstra 07-16-2007 08:28 PM

wow

SAFA 1 07-16-2007 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
this is what happened 3 month ago in lake havasu rental pontoon boat, that's why i leave at 2 to 3 pm evry time

OffshoreTom 07-16-2007 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2199548)
So Sunday afternoon after the Jammin' on the James Poker Run, OCDActive and I are about to shove off from ActiveShack's house with my boat and head to the ramp load up on the trailer. The ramp is only 300 yards from Mark's house. An older 24' Baja comes cruising along and blocks the whole ramp. So, Scott and I stand back and wait for the ramp to open up.

This guy ties up across the opening of the single launch ramp; and proceeds to take for fricking EVER to walk 50 yards to retrieve his truck and trailer. He backs down the ramp, and walks out to the boat. In the mean time, our friend Russ pulls up with my truck and trailer and proceeds to offer help, yet the Baja owner continues on his own.

This it the best part! He pulls the Baja onto the trailer, and powers on about 3/4 of the way at about 3500rpm +/-. HE BACKS THE THROTTLE DOWN TO 2500RPM AND LEAVES THE BOAT IN GEAR blowing water about 5 feet in the air and 20 feet back!!! HE LEAVES THE COCKPIT AND WALKS UP THE BOW to the winch and proceeds to hook up the winch and start winching the boat up the trailer; ALL THE WHILE STILL IN GEAR AT 2500RPM!! :eek:

Fortunately the boat did not rocket up his POS trailer and kill him. Upon seeing this guy's "expertise" our friend Russ, politely moves WAY the hell away from this spectacle. The guy walked down the bow and shut the motor down. THEN, he proceeds to drive up the ramp with the DRIVE STILL DOWN. :D

See what happens when you rush people!!! LOL:evilb:

Sydwayz 07-16-2007 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by KRAZYKATZ (Post 2199794)
so this guy backs down the ramp to put his boat on,
gets out of his truck,puts his waiters on up to his neck,
puts a block under his trailer wheel then truck wheel,
then goes to the front of his truck and disconnects the,
battery brings it back to the trailer and hooks to his winch,

you do the math, it was dark buy the time i got
my fng boat out of the water.

OMG!!! ROFL!!! :D :D

mikes280 07-16-2007 09:31 PM

well i guess his head was still hurting from the night before so he took the easy way out. i am glade we were loaded up and gone.

onesickpantera 07-16-2007 10:29 PM

I thought I had seen some crazy chit at the ramps. Some of you guys REALLY have me beat! :D

X-Rated30 07-16-2007 11:17 PM

But was he wearing his lanyards???:rolleyes:

Outdrive1 07-16-2007 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by SAFA 1 (Post 2199858)
this is what happened 3 month ago in lake havasu rental pontoon boat, that's why i leave at 2 to 3 pm evry time

The wife got plowed by a ski boat while tied up at the dock and it kinda looked like that. She was leaning over yelling at them, they hit her so hard she fell off the boat inbetween the two boats. If it had been a stern drive they would have killed her. I watched the whole thing from the truck in line at the ramp. Boy was she mad that day.................:eek: :D I was just glad she wasn't hurt, the boat can be repaired.

One thing I can say is that they stepped up and paid for the repair.

sommerfliesby 07-17-2007 06:08 AM

I had to make a diving save Sunday to keep some woman on a SeaDoo from making a BIG yellow mark on my red hull. I was docked waiting for my wife to park the truck and this woman heads right at me, panics, and shut the thing off! I was like "NOOOO" and jumped on the deck, dove forward and pushed her off with like 2 inches to spare. She just said "Sorry dude."

Dean Ferry 07-17-2007 06:42 AM

Man, look @ all the fun I'm missing, by not using the boat ramp anymore, NOT!
Dean

THRILLSEEKER 07-17-2007 08:26 AM

I watched a guy launch a 30 something ft. Bayliner onto the ramp as I was pulling away from the dock a couple years back. He started down the ramp with the bow eye unhooked on a roller bunk trailer, tapped the brakes and the boat shot off the trailer and landed on the ramp about 10 ft from the water. Since the ramp is now totally blocked the guy goes and unhooks his trailer in the parking lot and uses the deer catcher on the front of his truck to shove the boat down into the water so he could get it back on the trailer.

Now this story ABSOFUKINGLUTLY takes the cake for all launch fukups. I didnt personally see it but my LEO cousin used to patroll a local lake with ODNR told me about it.

She was out patrolling the lake on a weekday and noticed a small jetboat boat riding very very low in the water and only 2 passengers. As the patroll boat pulled alongside once of the officers on board spotted somthing in the water just in front of the bow. IT WAS THE FREAKIN WINCH POST OF THE TRAILER!!

Theese freakin idiots (new boat owners) honestly thought that in order to go boating all you had to do was unhook the trailer from the truck and go.

pullmytrigger 07-17-2007 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=THRILLSEEKER;2200307)

She was out patrolling the lake on a weekday and noticed a small jetboat boat riding very very low in the water and only 2 passengers. As the patroll boat pulled alongside once of the officers on board spotted somthing in the water just in front of the bow. IT WAS THE FREAKIN WINCH POST OF THE TRAILER!!

Theese freakin idiots (new boat owners) honestly thought that in order to go boating all you had to do was unhook the trailer from the truck and go.[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!.....Too bad she couldnt have snapped some pics of that!!:eek:

Chris Sunkin 07-17-2007 09:05 AM

Speaks for itself...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...down-vette.jpg

THRILLSEEKER 07-17-2007 09:27 AM

A few years ago at Midway ramp in West Harbor on Erie. I watched a guy launch a borrowed Jeep Wrangler along with his jetski and trailer. His story was that he thought he needed 4x4 to get the emtpy trailer up the ramp. Apparently he skipped 4x and shifted into N. dumped the clutch and the rest is history.

Sad part is the ramp was short and had a a pretty long drop at the end. The redneck towing crew ripped all kinds of parts off of the jeep before they realized that it was wedged up against a concrete wall. I will have to see if I can dig up some pics and scan them.

SAFA 1 07-17-2007 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA (Post 2200043)
The wife got plowed by a ski boat while tied up at the dock and it kinda looked like that. She was leaning over yelling at them, they hit her so hard she fell off the boat inbetween the two boats. If it had been a stern drive they would have killed her. I watched the whole thing from the truck in line at the ramp. Boy was she mad that day.................:eek: :D I was just glad she wasn't hurt, the boat can be repaired.

One thing I can say is that they stepped up and paid for the repair.

I'm glad she was OK , that sux , they need to make all new boat owners take a class

Wally 07-17-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 2200155)
I had to make a diving save Sunday to keep some woman on a SeaDoo from making a BIG yellow mark on my red hull. I was docked waiting for my wife to park the truck and this woman heads right at me, panics, and shut the thing off! I was like "NOOOO" and jumped on the deck, dove forward and pushed her off with like 2 inches to spare. She just said "Sorry dude."

Should have said "yea me too" and tipped her over and into the drink!

chaparral 2550sx 07-17-2007 12:08 PM

I drive my boat up onto the trailer, and sometimes leave it in gear (at a idle) till I get the bow hooked up... I watched this one boater crank his boat from the very back of his trailer all the way up to the bow stop, when I said to him his outdrive was still down and dragging on the concrete. He lifted the outdrive and then the boat went sailing off the trailer taking the winch line with it, and then we all waited till he cranked it up the trailer a second time!!!

sleeper_dave 07-17-2007 12:19 PM

I've taken to leaving the boat in gear while I hook up the winch post. There's one ramp at my marina (only for use if you have a slip there) and it's pretty steep with a very short, very high dock that is not well suited to tying my boat up. I back the trailer into the water, set the parking brake and put the truck in park, walk down to get my boat, drive it on to the trailer, and leave it in gear at idle while I jump up on the bow to hook up the winch and safety chain (without getting off the boat, of course). It's the most effective way i've found to do it myself. Then I shut the boat down and tilt the outdrive up, climb up on the bow again, jump on the trailer and winch it the rest of the way up. If I take the boat out of gear, it slides off the trailer and i'm floating in the middle of the narrow marina, usually directly toward someone elses boat, frantically trying to get my boat started and get it under control (not the easiest thing to do with a single).

I watched a guy dump his boat on the ramp last year. Roller trailer, he unhooked the winch and safety chain before backing into the water. He just kept backing the trailer up until he pushed the boat into the water, then went for a boat ride. It was an older sea ray, being towed by an old caprice or crown vic. Quite entertaining.

Reckless32 07-17-2007 12:26 PM

That kind of stupid and DANGEROUS behavior needs to be faced down as it happens. His family would've appreciated the save. He's gonna hurt someone someday if there's no intervention.

Yet in another post today someone gets angry and physical over a picture being taken.

chaparral 2550sx 07-17-2007 01:49 PM

Years ago, a freind had a boat and he disconected the winch while I backed the baot in with him in. I was affraid he would roll off before getting to the water, so I backed up quickly, then once I reach the water slammed on the brakes and he went flying off the trailer into the water!!!!! My GF and his GF where laughing so hard at the look of shear PANIC on his face....They said the whole back of the boat was under then popped up!! It was a 16ft glasstron with 115 HP outboard....I am laughing now about that!!!! stupit at the time funny now!

otis311 07-17-2007 02:56 PM

I have done that same manuever many times while putting the Cig on the trailer by myself !! Maybe not at 2500 rpm's, but definitly in gear

Biggus 07-17-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2199584)
Hey Sonny you got a problem with the way I load my boat!!!!

:D :D :D

wrinkleface 07-17-2007 03:19 PM

Pix, Pix!!:D

chaparral 2550sx 07-17-2007 03:31 PM

better yet take some video!!!!!!!!!:evilb:

Downtown42 07-17-2007 03:38 PM

Sydwinder, did you check his trailer hitch rating?? :evilb:

Strip Poker 388 07-17-2007 03:42 PM

I would not have a problem serving time for hurting someone that did that:(

KiloKat 07-17-2007 04:06 PM

WOW - what did the guy have to say afterwards? I bet you wanted to rip his head off !!