Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fastest Offshore Race in History !!! >

Fastest Offshore Race in History !!!

Notices
View Poll Results: Should Turbine Boats Race against Piston Engine Boats ? Cats vs Vee?
YES: All Hulls & Powerplants in the Extreme Class
61.76%
No: Turbine Boats should not be racing Piston Boats
26.47%
1 Class Only: All Hull Configurations Cat vs Vee
4.41%
2 Classes: Vee vs Vee & Cat vs Cat
10.29%
I really like the Extreme Class Boats
4.41%
I don't think there should be an Extreme Class at all.
1.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Fastest Offshore Race in History !!!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I just wonder how with an event as high-tech, high-buck and dramatic as Offshore, no one can package it..
Packaging is in the works with some very key people involved.

United We Race ! United We Will Have TV !

This past weekend in St Clair was more than a race.

It was a new beginning...

2008 will be great !!!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Packaging is in the works with some very key people involved.

United We Race ! United We Will Have TV !

This past weekend in St Clair was more than a race.

It was a new beginning...

2008 will be great !!!
Destin had the the live footage and it was excellent!! I'd watch the boats fly by the front of the course and then watch the TV to find out what was happening on the back side of the course.

Something set up on the beach with some huge projection screen TV's might help!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
It was without a doubt the fastest offshore race in history. The Budweiser Select & Miss Geico boats were running 180~185+ down every straightway. Both Scotty & Marc did a fantastic job driving/throttling as well as their entire support team including John Arruda. That being said, piston boats should NOT be running in the same class as turbine powered boats. Two entirely different technologies/capabilities. If you think I am wrong, then just wait till Dave Callan & John Cosker bring out Miss Longlite or I bring out my turbine boat for a race. Both would obliverate the two Cat Extreme boats that just ran in St. Clair. If you have any doubt, then come to the LOTO Shootout. That is why both SBI/APBA & OSS have seperate Extreme classes. Doesn't mean you won't see the two classes competing. Just means that both of them deserve their own recognition for their efforts within their respective development programs. Just my .02!
Thank you for the complements Dave. A year and a half of looking at the Bud Select Transom can be a little discouraging. While both boats were running "poker run" power this weekend they seem to be evenly matched with each having their advantage in different areas. I have a slightly different view of Extreme class racing. This is literally the biggest baddest dog in the house and to claim that title there needs to be competition...in class competition. This will foster growth in the respective development programs.If one s looking for perfect parity than there are a host of very competitive classes to choose from.

Taking checkered flags with little or no competition has no honor and deserves little recognition. I would happily take a fifth place behind all of the boats listed above than a flag by myself Scotty B included. If the t-55 "drag" boats want to threaten to come and race on a closed course, we would welcome the competition with open arms and it just may mean we have to up our game. As you and I are keenly aware Dave Extreme is not just a test of speed but of endurance with big power and management of that power into and out of the turns.

If you like the sound of big blocks root for the Bud boat. If you like turbines and the futuristic power root for GEICO. Don't run two boats by themselves with equal power. This recipie proved to be a great show just like the Chrysler Hydro (piston) running a gainst the Elam Hydro (turbine)

On this subject we will just have to agree to disagree. I still look to the entire Bud Race Team with admiration

I applaud Smitty for the iniatiave in putting us in the same class and by the looks of the poll it seems our fans and co-racers do too.

Best Regard's

Marc

Last edited by Maximus; 08-01-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running turbine boats vs. piston boats is a tough one. Back in 2002 when Dave Callan, John Pompi and myself put turbines in the old Tencara (yes there were turbine boats on the courses before AMF) we really didn't know what we were starting with. I think we ran 165 at the first shootout we went to and got our butts kicked by Miss Budweiser. We came back the next year and ran 200+ mph. We learned how to set up the boat and tune the engines and i think our efforts showed the gains that you can make with turbine power just as Marc and Scotty and the Gieco Team have made remarkable gains in the last year.

The Bud Select and Geico boats are at opposite ends of their respective powerplants range. Dave Scott is pushing impressive power out of a piston engine but i think everyone will agree there probably won't be more appreciable gains in horsepower without a serious investment which the sport probably doesn't justify. The AMF team and John Arruda have already gone from 1,500 hp to 1,800 hp with a different model turbine. Change to another model and you have 3,000 hp; change again and you have nearly 4,000 (We still have a pair of these out of the old 55 in the trailer in case DS gets to frisky at LOTO). My point is that while the piston engines are limited the turbines are in a sense limitless. If the piston boats are put in the class with the turbines the pistons will eventually go away like they did in the hydroplanes.

I know that Dave Scott loves the power of his turbine powered MTI but seeing the grin on his face when Johnny fires up one of his blower motors is priceless. Whether you love the raw power of piston or the technlogy and speed of the turbines is your choice but i don't think they can coexist in the same class. I think a spec class with 50 ft. Mystics and Turbine Marine T53 packages is really the only way to go but that's just me

Happy racing.

John Cosker
Owner - Mystic Powerboats Inc.
Throttleman - "Miss Longlite" - LOTO Shootout Course Record Holder at 208 mph
Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chippin it
Maybe then we could have spun out more.
who steers for you?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Question

Originally Posted by offshoreone
i don't think they can coexist in the same class. I think a spec class with 50 ft. Mystics and Turbine Marine T53 packages is really the only way to go but that's just me

Happy racing.

John Cosker
Throttleman - "Miss Longlite" - LOTO Shootout Course Record Holder at 208 mph
Do you think it can coexist until more competition came out to run against these boats?

I understand the concept keeping the 2 classes apart. But last weekend sure made things alot more exciting not knowing the outcome of the race before it even started....
Those 2 giants running head to head was the best and fastest offshore race I had ever witnessed.

Sure made my weekend....

Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Talking

Originally Posted by masher44
who steers for you?
The hauler or the boat ?

Oh wait...... That's one of the same....

Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
It was without a doubt the fastest offshore race in history. The Budweiser Select & Miss Geico boats were running 180~185+ down every straightway. Both Scotty & Marc did a fantastic job driving/throttling as well as their entire support team including John Arruda. That being said, piston boats should NOT be running in the same class as turbine powered boats. Two entirely different technologies/capabilities. If you think I am wrong, then just wait till Dave Callan & John Cosker bring out Miss Longlite or I bring out my turbine boat for a race. Both would obliverate the two Cat Extreme boats that just ran in St. Clair. If you have any doubt, then come to the LOTO Shootout. That is why both SBI/APBA & OSS have seperate Extreme classes. Doesn't mean you won't see the two classes competing. Just means that both of them deserve their own recognition for their efforts within their respective development programs. Just my .02!
Nice hanging with you Dave this weekend at the ramp.I thank you for your help[tools] and your crew helping me.You and JT are a class act.
JC
Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by masher44
who steers for you?
Probably gonna be your boy byrdman pretty soon
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Originally Posted by offshoreone
Whether you love the raw power of piston or the technlogy and speed of the turbines is your choice but i don't think they can coexist in the same class.
John Cosker
My point exactly. That's why SBI/APBA, OSS and all other forms of motorsports that I am aware of keep them seperate.

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
I understand the concept keeping the 2 classes apart. But last weekend sure made things alot more exciting not knowing the outcome of the race before it even started....
Those 2 giants running head to head was the best and fastest offshore race I had ever witnessed.
We always have gone head to head - regardless of class - and that won't change. You saw it in Biloxi & Sarasota and I am quite certain that you will continue to see it as we move forward into OB, LOTO and KW. However, this post has to do with classing the different types of technology - not whether or not you will continue to see good racing.

Last edited by KiloKat; 08-02-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Fastest Offshore Race in History !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.