Being Cheated at the Gas Pumps?

Notices

Being Cheated at the Gas Pumps?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by White Knuckles
That is for E85 (85% ethanol) which is hard to find. E10 (10% ethanol) is dam near everywhere. I have to travel outside the "metro" region to where E10 was not required.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:41 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
.......................... I will gladly pay up to 30c per gallon more for gas now if I know there is no ethanol in it!

Ethanol free gas actually cost LESS!!!!! It just costs me a few gallons of diesel to get the boat there to fill up.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I Know Is It Seems To Burn Quicker Than Normal Guess Id Better Slow Down A Little
Old 08-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Your problems aren't just going to be the reduction in fuel economy. Ethanol entraps water and moisture, and that is going to cause a lot of problems with equipment that doesn't see constant usage (like boats, especially ones with large tanks). It also can cause problems with older motors i.e outboards and chainsaws that were mfg. using rubber compounds in their diaphrams and fuel lines not compatible with ethanol.
Make damn sure to drain out ALL of the fuel from your small-engine seasonal equipment. Even though we are paying more for it, the shelf life of gas is a lot less- 2 months or so if not treated, especially since they took the MTBE out of it. I have found PRI-G to be very good (a lot better than Sta-Bil, and can give back that some of that lost economy). OMC fuel additive, now Bombardier is quite good too, and I know several that swear by SeaFoam. I don't buy gasoline anymore for anything without treating it when I pump it.
With the coming of ULSD, you better be adding Stanadyne, DieselKleen, or PRI-D to that diesel tank too or your injectors are going to suffer due to the loss of lubricity in the fuel.

For those of you lucky enough, the Jet A going in your Falcon, Gulfsteam or Lear (or turbine Skater) is still as it used to be; good old Jet A
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guy I work with has a BMW and went to a gas station and the Ethenol concentration was so high in the gas that he got that it messed up his fuel system. Cost him like a grand to fix!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
Ethanol doesn't burn cleaner than gasoline, nor is it cheaper.

Our current ethanol production represents only 3.5 percent of our gasoline consumption, yet it consumes Twenty (20%percent of the entire U.S. corn crop

It has caused the price of corn to double.

It is raising the threat of hunger in the Third World

Increasing acreage devoted to corn for ethanol means less land for other staple crops.

Farmers in South America now have incentive to carve fields out of tropical forests.

The price of beef, poultry and pork in the United States rose more than three percent during the first five months of this year.

And as a gasoline substitute, ethanol has bigger problems:

Its energy density is one-third less than gasoline, which means you have to burn more of it to get the same amount of power.

It also has a nasty tendency to absorb water, so it can't be transported in existing pipelines and must be distributed by truck or rail.

READ MORE, Interesting.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics..._boondoggles/1
Bingo. Those are the facts.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only one reason ethanol is being pushed in the US. The giant farm conglomerates have a huge pull in Washington. It is basically another form of subsidy. And like the previous post stated, the price of corn has doubled. Hhhhmmmmmm......
As a fuel it's junk.

Darrell.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

Be cautious Ethanol will eat away the inner layers of poly tanks and fuel lines. The material breaks apart and then gets pump through your fuel system. NMMA has been doing research since 2001 on the effects of Ethanol on marine devices. Would be a good idea to check into it.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Registered

87 Octane is $2.89 a gallon here...and that's a HUGE drop from 3 weeks ago! We're actually relieved to be payin that "little". Go figure. How effective would a COAL burning offshore boat be?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee

And as a gasoline substitute, ethanol has bigger problems:

Its energy density is one-third less than gasoline, which means you have to burn more of it to get the same amount of power.
I agree with your post, except it is a bit too one sided.

The line above is correct, but well stated to make you think it is terrible fuel...

Fact is, ethanol should make more horsepower than gas. Yes, you have to burn more, but it still produces more power. It doesn't help our cars much because they are geared for the lesser of the 2 power curves (even flex fuel vehicles). If they were geared for the best mileage burning E85/E10/etc. though, would it be more comparable to gas? It should be, but I have yet to see a study that takes that approach.

Just food for thought

Quick Reply: Being Cheated at the Gas Pumps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.