Notices

sunsation 32 dominator ss

Old 08-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've been on them and they turn just fine at any speed that is safe to make a reasonable turn in. They are not jet skis. If you understand how to set up for turning a stepped hull boat properly they turn like any other stepped hull boat. You can roll about any boat if you work at it hard enough.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Thumbnails sunsation 32 dominator ss-boat-crash-033.jpg  
Old 08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've been on them and they turn just fine at any speed that is safe to make a reasonable turn in. They are not jet skis. If you understand how to set up for turning a stepped hull boat properly they turn like any other stepped hull boat. You can roll about any boat if you work at it hard enough.
Well said.

Questions like this remind me of news reports when they state someones SUV ran into a building or another car. It makes it sound like it was not the drivers fault but the SUV getting a mind of its own and running off the road.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
That is the Innovator (same bottom as the SS) that spun and hooked on the Chain O' Lakes after a high speed, sharp turn. Driver error.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Registered

I don't usually get in on posts about out boats as i am
a factory employee. We build a great boat and when
it is operated properly it is very safe. Like some other
members have said any twin step boat can flip if the driver
does not know what he is doing. Are you looking at a sunsation for purchase. I see that you have just joined OSO
and your first post was about our boat line.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zougiejr
Has anyone seen or heard of these boats rolling over when turning at relatively slow speeds say mid 40's?
Yes, this has happened to me as well. This happened THREE time, prior to the end result, as posted above by one of my many fans. Over the years I have heard many accounts of what occured that day, which amazes me, considering myself or the other two experienced boaters who were my passengers that day, can not explain why the boat reacted the way it did to the water conditions and speed at the time. After this occured, representatives from Sunsation seemed eager to get to the bottom of it, considering the new 32 SS was going to have to same hull. I was happy to co-operate, in the hopes of finding some of my own questions answered. But then, the communication stopped on their side, and none of my questions were ever answered. Maybe it was driver error, I still don't know. That was one of my questions.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Earthwerks
Yes, this has happened to me as well. This happened THREE time, prior to the end result, as posted above by one of my many fans. Over the years I have heard many accounts of what occured that day, which amazes me, considering myself or the other two experienced boaters who were my passengers that day, can not explain why the boat reacted the way it did to the water conditions and speed at the time. After this occured, representatives from Sunsation seemed eager to get to the bottom of it, considering the new 32 SS was going to have to same hull. I was happy to co-operate, in the hopes of finding some of my own questions answered. But then, the communication stopped on their side, and none of my questions were ever answered. Maybe it was driver error, I still don't know. That was one of my questions.
I have been driving their boats for 8 years, both straight hull and stepped. But never owned the innovator hull. I have never experienced a bad reacting situation in their hulls. I have been amazed in crazy snotty situations at LOTO at how the hull responded in situations where a somewhat emergency manuever was required, both in the standard hull and stepped hull. Amazed means the hull reacted perfectly predictable (and impressive) given the manuever.

I will say that I always try to trim the stepped hull to expect the unexpected with manuevers. But then again, I am kind of anal about that. I definitely drive the trim differently in the stepped hull than I did in the straight hull.

Just my experience. I have between 500 - 600 hours driving time in their hulls. It has all been positive. My post is not meant to assume or make a comment about anybody elses experience.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 08-14-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Registered

I haven't had the chance to get behind the wheel of the SS yet (still on my 2 do list), but having owned both the 288 and the 32 Dominator I haven't had any bad expierences even when pushing the boat into (what I would call) emergency manuvuers at LOTO. The amount of traffic and rough water down there always seem to put one in a sticky situation at least once a year it seems

I think taking the time to get familiar with any boat is the key to having a safe time on the water.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

This isn't a Sunsation specific issue. The bottom line is that you have to know what you are doing. This is a twin stepped hull which means you need to understand how trim works. Sunsation has safety precautions built into their boats to help mitigate this however, they can't do much for someone who wants to turn it like a jet ski.

I have been in a few undesirable situations with mine where I have had to react and the boat has performed exactly as I would expect it to.