IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc) >

IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)

Notices

IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)

Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know... I'm sure IMP owners would post as much as the Excalibur crowd, right? I wonder if an IMP board could be added to the forum. Ok... maybe it's not as "offshore" as some of the other boats, but seems like there are enough owners to justify it. BTW, I DIG Excaliburs!! Paul's Hawk 40 at LOTO is sweet!!

My friend's '93 is pushing about 500hp per side and he said he can do about 72, IF I remember correctly. Not the high-speed hull of some of the other manufacturers, I imagine. But doesn't sound too far off of some of the other older, heavier boats. Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by txwatergypsy
I enjoy seeing the IMP related posts. Hope you will report any findings that you have from your research. I was told that Raymond of Ramonds boat sales on the Sunrise beach side of LOTO was a dealer and may have been involved in production at one time. Could be a good source of info.
Im curious to know who has the fastest 31 IMP?
I did call Raymond's a while back to ask them more about the IMP's. The guy I talked to said they were good, solid boats and that's about it. It wasn't his day to elaborate, I suppose. Might call back and talk to someone that has more to say.

I've picked up some info from another site that actually included some posts from a guy who worked in Iola, KS at the IMP plant there. I drive through Iola on my way to LOTO, so I was quite surprised when I learned the history of IMP.

This post on boatdesign.net gives some info, but you have to dig because most of the people on this forum have older, smaller IMP's.
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sho...&highlight=imp

This site was set up specifically for IMP owners, but again, seems to cater to the older, smaller models.
http://www.impboatclub.com/

Maybe the 310/330 owners should jump on there as well??
Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bumping this to reel in more IMP owners out there.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

My first introduction to LOTO was as a 13 year old back in 1977 on our neighbor's brand new 21' IMP cuddy. I can't remember the number on the outdrive for sure but it was a Merc and said something like 888? I'm pretty sure it was a 351 Ford 2bbl. It had a teak cabin door and lots of teak on the bow. Blue and white. It was a beautiful boat and was pretty much a big dog at the lake at the time. We stayed in some little resort just across the Grand Glaize bridge and I remember running down the main channel to Tan Tara on the weekend with no problems. They were considered upper end boats at that time. I beleive the boat was purchased in Lincoln, IL. at a place that sold farm equipment and IMP's!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump and a pic
Attached Thumbnails IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)-haulin-imp.jpg  

Last edited by txwatergypsy; 05-13-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by txwatergypsy
Bump and a pic
I've randomly collected a number of Eleganza and Viper pics online. I should put them in an album on my webshots account. I'll post when I get around to doing that.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
My first introduction to LOTO was as a 13 year old back in 1977 on our neighbor's brand new 21' IMP cuddy. I can't remember the number on the outdrive for sure but it was a Merc and said something like 888? I'm pretty sure it was a 351 Ford 2bbl. It had a teak cabin door and lots of teak on the bow. Blue and white. It was a beautiful boat and was pretty much a big dog at the lake at the time. We stayed in some little resort just across the Grand Glaize bridge and I remember running down the main channel to Tan Tara on the weekend with no problems. They were considered upper end boats at that time. I beleive the boat was purchased in Lincoln, IL. at a place that sold farm equipment and IMP's!
Similar experience here, Knot4Me. I recall them being highly respected in the LOTO area back then. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I grew up with an 18' IMP owned by my Dad. It was a 1969 model. He sold it in 1974, and bought it back again in 1977. It had a 305 Merc with an OMC outdrive.

He sold it in 2001(!!!!) when I bought my first boat; and it was just as clean as the day he bought it the first time. He even kept the original 1968 trailer under it the whole time.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

you guys should ask Steve about a Fourm.......theres makes that have less than 5 boats total production that have their own fourm.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BennyBen
The 310 Eleganza was a great boat for the money. Here's a short overview: it porpoised at top speed with 7.4's; mostly chop in the laminate but nonethless solid; low quality vinyls, lots of untreated wood but stringers encapsulated well in chop; engines were lag bolted to stringer blocks; anodized windshield frame prone to chipping; no wiring was loomed but taped together; lots of glitter and gelcoat colors - a nice looker (the swim platform on the 33 looked out of place however); nice rough water ride and pretty dry as bowl had some flare; plywood cored deck adequately glassed in. I would compare this boat at the time to a Chaparral Villain IV, or a Scarab.
BennyBen, back to this quote. I'm guessing you'd put Cigarette, Formula, or Fountain above these three, right?

Quick Reply: IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.